An Exhaustive Review of Our Exhausting Hawaiian Adventure

kwbound

Donna, so sorry to hear about your mother. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

I enjoyed reading your very comprehensive report on your trip and found it very helpful. We are leaving 2/26 on HAL for our cruise. We can't wait to get out of cold and snowy New England for 2 weeks. We will fly in a day b4 our cruise and spend 2 days post-cruise in San Diego sightseeing. We have never been to SD so looking forward to visiting there also.

My husband would like to do the helicopter tour (I think I'll go along too, although not so sure about a helicopter ride.) However, we did a float plane ride in Alaska this past July so guess I can do it again!

I don't know which island we should do the ride on so wondered if you did any research on which island was the best one. I know you went from Mauii. My daughter was in Maurii on her honeymoon and that's where they did their ride also. Also wondered about which type of helicopter you went in w/ Blue Hawaii, they show 2 types of helicopters on their website. I think we will go w/ the ecostar. I also wondered which of the tours for Maui we should pick: West Maui Mountains; West Maui & Molokai; or Hana/Haleakala.

Thanks again for your report and all the information you shared.

Mary

Hi Donna,

So sad to hear about your mother. My sympathies.

Memories are what get us through these times and now when I think of it, I am really glad we had the opportunity to have a family vacation in Hawaii.

Thanks Donna, for introducing me to Mixbook -and I finally got it published.

I thought I proofread that book, but as soon as I pushed the published button, I found 2 typos....grrr.

anyway, here it is.

http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/travel/hawaii-2010-5188239

Hi Donna,

Memories are what get us through these times and now when I think of it, I am really glad we had the opportunity to have a family vacation in Hawaii.

I thought I proofread that book, but as soon as I pushed the published button, I found 2 typos....grrr.

anyway, here it is.

Your book is wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing it. I think I am going to try mixbook. There is coupon on Groupon for Mixbook that I received notice of this morning. I may have to get busy.

Your book is wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing it. I think I am going to try mixbook. There is coupon on Groupon for Mixbook that I received notice of this morning. I may have to get busy.

Can you forward that Groupon notice to me, please? I went to their site, but didn't find the "coupon". My email is my smrtypnts at hotmail dot com. note there are no vowels in the first part. thanks!!

Hi Donna,

anyway, here it is.

Mary did you use all the included pages and stickers that come with Mixbook, or did you purchase some from a scrapbooking supply site?

Can you forward that Groupon notice to me, please? I went to their site, but didn't find the "coupon". My email is my smrtypnts at hotmail dot com. note there are no vowels in the first part. thanks!!

I have tried twice and it kicks back to me as undeliverable. I copied and pasted your address from this email, deleting the spaces and placing the @ and the period in the proper places. Not sure why it won't forward. I have forwarded these before. I will try again later.

I have tried twice and it kicks back to me as undeliverable. I copied and pasted your address from this email, deleting the spaces and placing the @ and the period in the proper places. Not sure why it won't forward. I have forwarded these before. I will try again later.

:confused: thanks for trying. smrtypnts @ hotmail.com

see if it works now, taking out the 2 spaces. i don't know. I also don't know if it will allow me to buy. <sigh>

:confused: thanks for trying. smrtypnts @ hotmail.com

see if it works now, taking out the 2 spaces. i don't know. I also don't know if it will allow me to buy. <sigh>

I tried again with my yahoo account and so far it has not come back as undeliverable. Let me know one way or the other and I will try again.

I have also found that some of these deals that appear in one location one day, will then appear in the next few days in other parts of the country.

Hey, try this:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/mixbook-detroit-4?utm_campaign=mixbook-detroit-4&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&c=btn&addx=mmezzadri@hotmail.com&utm_content=detroit_interleaved_sidebar

Edited by vbmom87

Mary did you use all the included pages and stickers that come with Mixbook, or did you purchase some from a scrapbooking supply site?

I used only the mixbook stickers. Most were from the tropical cruise theme, but I went through the other themes to get other stickers that I liked. Just click on "add stickers" to get the other themes.

Mary

Hi Donna,

anyway, here it is.

Your book is lovely, thank you for sharing. I have also finished my photobook for our trip to Fiji last year. I have it printed and sitting at home, but I can't seem to share it on the internet...so I will have to find another site to use to do this. Rather annoyed when I found this out after doing all the editing work!

Thanks also to Donna for inspiring me to have a go at the photobook as well!

Your book is lovely, thank you for sharing. I have also finished my photobook for our trip to Fiji last year. I have it printed and sitting at home, but I can't seem to share it on the internet...so I will have to find another site to use to do this. Rather annoyed when I found this out after doing all the editing work!

Glad you enjoyed it. I would love to see a book on Fiji. Did you go to publish after you ordered your book? I don't think the books are viewable until you click on publish. -That could be what the problem is.

Donna,

First, thank you so much for this review. It took me two days to read it all, and I felt like I just spent several months with you! I was so sad to come across the news of your mother passing, but you're correct that there are so many kind and helpful people on these boards. :)

That said, the penalty for a great review is fielding tons of questions! I'll try to limit mine:

1) Hana Road. I too am a bit concerned about the drive. From several reviews, I think we would like to go to the Wai’anapanapa State Park and then turn back. I noted that you said the worst part (for you) was the road between Hamoa and Ohe'o Pools, which we wouldn't hit if we turn back at Wai’anapanapa. However, when I look at google maps, the road before Wai’anapanapa looks like the crazy part. But, when I zoom in, it looks like that part is mostly paved, and it turns into 2-lanes around some bends. Is that why this part wasn't as bad as the latter part of the road?

2) Your review of Sea Quest was really positive, as was everyone elses that I've read online. I'm really interested in seeing everything on their trip (lava tubes, possible whales and dolphins, blow holes, etc) and snorkeling with the turtles, but the rest of the snorkeling is not as important to me. Which of the three stops did you see all the turtles? From your review, I gathered that it was on the "unannounced" third stop - is that correct? Knowing that I'm most interested in turtles, would you recommend a different trip/location for turtle snorkeling?

3) Did POA ever make a fuss about people packing their food and taking it off the ship for the daytrips? I know you didn't announce your plans, but I'm sure you weren't the only ones and the staff knew what all those coolers were for. Any warnings or confiscations that you saw?

Thanks again for all your help!

3) Did POA ever make a fuss about people packing their food and taking it off the ship for the daytrips? I know you didn't announce your plans, but I'm sure you weren't the only ones and the staff knew what all those coolers were for. Any warnings or confiscations that you saw?

I am not Donna, but we made lunches most days and had no problems. They basically have a deli station set up for breakfast, which makes me think they do this for those who want to pack a lunch. This station has breads, cheeses, cold cuts, etc.

We brought a collapsible cooler bag, ziplock bags and sandwich bags. We used the ziplock bags for ice which we got from the beverage stations. No one ever said a word. If you bring a cooler bag, I suggest you put a hand towel in the bottom, just in case your ziplock bag springs a leak, you will have something to absorb the water.

We were on such a mission to see all we could, that we did not want to use precious touring time sitting in a restaurant. I know others really enjoy the local restaurants, but we had a different priority. This was likely our only trip to Hawaii, so we wanted to take in all we could. Packing our own lunches helped us see so much more.

Edited by vbmom87

I love your review and your pictures!! Thanks so much! What camara did you use for your photos? I want to buy a new one before our cruise and don't know what to buy....thanks!:o

First of all, I apologize for taking so long to respond. I used to get an email every time someone posted on the thread, but for some reason I'm no longer getting those.

Anyway we took an Olympus SP-510UZ and a Canon D10, which is the camera used for the underwater shots. I love the Canon D10. It takes great shots above and below water, does video, is compact and easy to use.

Hope that helps.

Donna

Would you mind emailing me the name of the website for Hawaiian tourists? My email is my screen name @aol.com. Thanks.

We are on POA in November and I have gotten a wealth of information from your review. Thank you so very much.

I'll have to go back and do some research and see if I can find the website again. But you can go to Thrifty's website and book directly through them using that discount code. I guess maybe it could have expired since I used it. I'll see if I can find the website.

Donna, so sorry to hear about your mother. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

I enjoyed reading your very comprehensive report on your trip and found it very helpful. We are leaving 2/26 on HAL for our cruise. We can't wait to get out of cold and snowy New England for 2 weeks. We will fly in a day b4 our cruise and spend 2 days post-cruise in San Diego sightseeing. We have never been to SD so looking forward to visiting there also.

My husband would like to do the helicopter tour (I think I'll go along too, although not so sure about a helicopter ride.) However, we did a float plane ride in Alaska this past July so guess I can do it again!

I don't know which island we should do the ride on so wondered if you did any research on which island was the best one. I know you went from Mauii. My daughter was in Maurii on her honeymoon and that's where they did their ride also. Also wondered about which type of helicopter you went in w/ Blue Hawaii, they show 2 types of helicopters on their website. I think we will go w/ the ecostar. I also wondered which of the tours for Maui we should pick: West Maui Mountains; West Maui & Molokai; or Hana/Haleakala.

Thanks again for your report and all the information you shared.

Mary

Hi Mary - We have had an extra cold winter in Texas too. (Not as cold as y'all I'm sure.) I'd love to be going back to Hawaii.

I did do some research on which island would be the best for a helicopter tour. I think most of the recommendations were for The Big Island, because of the active volcano, or Kauai. We chose Kauai. We went with Blue Hawaiian and the Ecostar also. There is no way we could have seen as much of Kauai if we hadn't done the helicopter tour. Maui is beautiful of course, but I don't think it is as majestic as Kauai.

When you get back, please post a report about your trip...share your warm weather experiences with us.

Donna

Hi Donna,

anyway, here it is.

Your book is BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you for sharing it. I loved seeing some of the places we had been and have such fond memories of. Some friends were looking at my book the other day and said they wanted to go on our next vacation with us just so they can get a book too.

Thanks also to Donna for inspiring me to have a go at the photobook as well!

You're welcome! I'm really a big fan of the photobook now. It's much easier, and less expensive, than regular scrapbooking.

What photobook service did you use that doesn't let you share it online?

Donna,

First, thank you so much for this review. It took me two days to read it all, and I felt like I just spent several months with you! I was so sad to come across the news of your mother passing, but you're correct that there are so many kind and helpful people on these boards. :)

That said, the penalty for a great review is fielding tons of questions! I'll try to limit mine:

1) Hana Road. I too am a bit concerned about the drive. From several reviews, I think we would like to go to the Wai’anapanapa State Park and then turn back. I noted that you said the worst part (for you) was the road between Hamoa and Ohe'o Pools, which we wouldn't hit if we turn back at Wai’anapanapa. However, when I look at google maps, the road before Wai’anapanapa looks like the crazy part. But, when I zoom in, it looks like that part is mostly paved, and it turns into 2-lanes around some bends. Is that why this part wasn't as bad as the latter part of the road?

There is only a few miles of the road that aren't paved and they are past the pools. The road between Hamoa and the pools was very narrow with a lot of blind switchbacks. I just didn't like it.

2) Your review of Sea Quest was really positive, as was everyone elses that I've read online. I'm really interested in seeing everything on their trip (lava tubes, possible whales and dolphins, blow holes, etc) and snorkeling with the turtles, but the rest of the snorkeling is not as important to me. Which of the three stops did you see all the turtles? From your review, I gathered that it was on the "unannounced" third stop - is that correct? Knowing that I'm most interested in turtles, would you recommend a different trip/location for turtle snorkeling?

We did see the turtles at an unnamed beach, but it was the second stop on our trip. Capt Cook's monument was our last stop, which was good because most of the other boats were already leaving when we got there. I would definitely recommend this trip for the turtles. We saw turtles on our Maui snorkel trip also, but not nearly as many and not nearly as close. Did you look at my photobook online? There are several turtle pictures for the stop in the book.

From the way that POA has the food laid out, I'm pretty sure they know what people are doing and are ok with it. They have sections set up with lunch meat and bread at breakfast. There were quite a few people who you could tell were doing what we did. We got the food from the buffet and took it to our rooms ang put it all together.

Hope this info helps. I'm happy to answer anything else if you have more questions.

Donna

Thanks Donna! Much appreciated. We had a heat wave here today - got to 54 deg. LOL

I also heard that Kauii was the best place for a helicopter tour so we will probably do the tour there. I know you had a rental car but we aren't planning to rent one so need to see how you get to wherever the tour starts.

I will indeed post a return of our experiences when we return. We can't wait as we haven't been to HI b4!

Many thanks for your help.

Mary

Thanks Donna! Much appreciated. We had a heat wave here today - got to 54 deg. LOL

I also heard that Kauii was the best place for a helicopter tour so we will probably do the tour there. I know you had a rental car but we aren't planning to rent one so need to see how you get to wherever the tour starts.

I will indeed post a return of our experiences when we return. We can't wait as we haven't been to HI b4!

Many thanks for your help.

Mary

If you are going to take the Blue Hawaiian tour in Kauai, their office is within walking distance of the ship, and there are also shuttles to that area if you don't want to walk. You check in at the office where they weigh you (discretely), give you your seat assignment and do a short safety presentation. Then Blue Hawaii shuttles you to the airport.

We actually got into the 70's today, so hopefully winter is over!

Donna, can you help me figure out which backdrop you used for the album pages with Wai'anapanapa State Wayside Park? I love that water look and am thinking I would use it predominantly for my Hawaii Book. However, for the life of me, I can't locate it in Mixbook and can't locate it in the scrapbooking pack you posted. I am all set to go and start my book. So if you can help, I would really appreciate it.

Donna, can you help me figure out which backdrop you used for the album pages with Wai'anapanapa State Wayside Park? I love that water look and am thinking I would use it predominantly for my Hawaii Book. However, for the life of me, I can't locate it in Mixbook and can't locate it in the scrapbooking pack you posted. I am all set to go and start my book. So if you can help, I would really appreciate it.

That is a photo that I took of the water from one of the lookouts on the Hana Highway. I Photoshop'd it to the right size for a background. I'll be happy to email it to you it you'd like.