Maybe Host Mama or Host Starr can answer this?

SailBabySail

We have sailed on the Spirit and embarked on deck 6. I thought I would have heart failure as I am deathly afraid of heights. Going up the ramp to board my peripheral vision sees the drop and water below and I begin to panic. Now we are booked on the Gem for June of 2011 and I understand that we board on deck 7. Can't NCL do something about either putting up a drape on the ramp windows or embarking on a much lower deck? I know I can't be the only one with this problem. By the time I finally get on the ship I am in a cold sweat and almost passing out from panic. Once I am on board and we sail away I am fine believe it or not. It is just boarding and debarking that is a real issue for me. So I guess my question is do you have any solution to offer?

We have sailed on the Spirit and embarked on deck 6. I thought I would have heart failure as I am deathly afraid of heights. Going up the ramp to board my peripheral vision sees the drop and water below and I begin to panic. Now we are booked on the Gem for June of 2011 and I understand that we board on deck 7. Can't NCL do something about either putting up a drape on the ramp windows or embarking on a much lower deck? I know I can't be the only one with this problem. By the time I finally get on the ship I am in a cold sweat and almost passing out from panic. Once I am on board and we sail away I am fine believe it or not. It is just boarding and debarking that is a real issue for me. So I guess my question is do you have any solution to offer?

Why would you think only the board moderators would have a suggestion?

The cure for this is an easy one.

Go to your local drug store, and buy wrap-around sunglasses (aka really old people sunglasses). You know the ones with the glass not only in front, but that extends right to the side of your face.

At home, get some boxboard (like from a cereal box) and cut a small piece to fit the side section of the glasses.

Take some clear tape, and tape the cardboard to the side sections, effectively blocking your peripheral vision.

Then, when boarding, look up, and out to the horizon, not down.

I live on the 40th floor of a building, and if you look straight down it's vertigo-inducing....at first...you DO get used to it.....BUT, if you look straight into the distance, it's just a spectacular view, without concern.

The horizon is your friend. Remember, the horizon is good to have in sight if you're a little seasick, too! It gives your brain a reference, to keep you balanced.

The deck itself isn't really the issue. Most of the time you don't start on the ground level, you enter the terminal and go up an escalator, then you might go up a small ramp before you leave the building. You're already at the equivalent of the 4th or 5th deck....the outside ramp only goes up about 16 feet....which is about the height of a two-storey house.

Also, what you described sounds like a panic attack. The best cure for a panic attack is to breathe.

Deep, slow breaths. 10 of them. They'll bring oxygen back to your head, and will calm your heart-rate.

REMEMBER THIS: there are thousands of people boarding at the same time as you. If THEY can do it, YOU can do it!!!!!

When you're inside the ship, you can remove your sunglasses and keep them for next time!

SJBDTZ gave some good advice as far as the breathing and thinking realistic thoughts to calm yourself down. I'm not a fan of medications for the most part but I can certainly empathize with panic/anxiety attacks. You may want to ask your doctor for a couple of xanax for your panic issues.

yes, on the wrap around sun glasses... if you have an optomotrist have them give you the sunglasses that they give to cataract patients following the surgery..

hold onto the rail and look straight ahead.. not side to side...

I can understand your fear.. just keep saying to yourself "I can do this,, I can do this".. and soon you will be enjoying your vacation!!!

I'm not a doctor, but if you have one, they may give you a mild valium to curtail the anxiety attacks..if that is what you are having.

Why would you think only the board moderators would have a suggestion?

The cure for this is an easy one.

Go to your local drug store, and buy wrap-around sunglasses (aka really old people sunglasses). You know the ones with the glass not only in front, but that extends right to the side of your face.

At home, get some boxboard (like from a cereal box) and cut a small piece to fit the side section of the glasses.

Take some clear tape, and tape the cardboard to the side sections, effectively blocking your peripheral vision.

Then, when boarding, look up, and out to the horizon, not down.

I live on the 40th floor of a building, and if you look straight down it's vertigo-inducing....at first...you DO get used to it.....BUT, if you look straight into the distance, it's just a spectacular view, without concern.

The horizon is your friend. Remember, the horizon is good to have in sight if you're a little seasick, too! It gives your brain a reference, to keep you balanced.

The deck itself isn't really the issue. Most of the time you don't start on the ground level, you enter the terminal and go up an escalator, then you might go up a small ramp before you leave the building. You're already at the equivalent of the 4th or 5th deck....the outside ramp only goes up about 16 feet....which is about the height of a two-storey house.

Also, what you described sounds like a panic attack. The best cure for a panic attack is to breathe.

Deep, slow breaths. 10 of them. They'll bring oxygen back to your head, and will calm your heart-rate.

REMEMBER THIS: there are thousands of people boarding at the same time as you. If THEY can do it, YOU can do it!!!!!

When you're inside the ship, you can remove your sunglasses and keep them for next time!

First my apologies to everyone for not making this a general question to the members but I didn't think anyone would answer. Thank you for your suggestions. I will try one or all of them. I have no problem boarding a ship where you embark on say deck 2 or 3...it is just those higher decks that throw me into panic mode. Thank you again.

Archived