childs age

Granny1

Does anyone know at what age a divorced mother that has remarried can take her child on a cruise without the consent of the divorced father? Is it maybe 16 or 18 years of age? The divorced father isn't even in the picture by order of the courts but was just wondering if she would still need a letter of consent?? Thanks:)

I know in CA if you have court papers that state that you have sole legal custody you do not have to have consent. BUT - I would take copies of those papers with you just in case. I have to get consent from my daughters dead beat dad because we have joint legal and have to get a letter notorized, the whole nine yards. I've never been asked for it, but knowing my luck the one time I travel without it someone will want to see it.

I would think that once the child turns 18 they are a legal adult therefor wouldn't need consent, but I would most definitely check on that.

She can take them on a cruise at any time; however, if you are debarking in Mexico, the cruise line states you need a letter of consent from the other parent while the child is a minor (under 18).

If she has sole custody, she only needs to bring the papers stating that. A parent can get their child a passport without the other parent's consent at 16 regardless of custody.

. . . The divorced father isn't even in the picture by order of the courts but was just wondering if she would still need a letter of consent?? Thanks:)

Take a copy of the court order (along with appropriate ID, etc.) That is the end of the discussion.

Just a note: The fact that a parent may have sole custody does not allow that parent to remove a child from the country, or even the state, without permission of the other parent or the court. In order to take the child out of the country without permission a termination of parental rights is required.

Archived