Ireland - Wardrobe advice from locals please

It'sRC4ME

My husband and I will be in Dublin for 4 nights in early February as part of a rare land-based vacation. I was planning to bring a wool "pea" coat (the short, double breasted coat worn by sailors). I understand that in addition to being cold, the weather may be quite damp as well. Will I need a waterproof coat, or will I be all right with just the wool coat and an umbrella? I am trying to avoid having to buy a waterproof coat unless it looks like it will be really necessary.

Thanks for any advice you can give to me...

Yes, it will rain. That is pretty much a given. Personally I'd go for a waterproof coat, but if it means buying a new one, then the wool coat & umbrella is a good second choice. Bring hat, scarf & gloves too. Two things to bear in mind: 1) umbrellas are fairly unwieldly in busy areas of the city centre & 2) how long does the wool coat to take to dry? If it gets wet during the day will it be dry in time to wear out again the evening for dinner?

I've just spent a long weekend in Dublin & wore my full length Drizabone coat.

DrizaBone_Wax_Riding.html

Ah, the picture didn't work. Here is the link http://www.drizaboneclothing.co.uk/store/DrizaBone_Wax_Riding.html

I'm not a local, but I've spent a lot of time in Ireland and GB. I reccomend a waterproof coat and a fleece jacket underneath (very cheap; I bought one in Vancouver for $20). The fleece will keep you warm even if it gets wet. The wool will be incredibly heavy when wet and will take endless amounts of time to dry. If you don't want to buy a waterproof coat, even a $5 plastic poncho on top of the fleece is better than wool. If it's windy, the umbrella will be useless and a huge PITA; I recommend a waterproof hat over the jacket. I also suggest waterproof shoes (Rockport makes great stuff for $69-$89) Also, buy cheap fleece gloves. It WILL rain...

I agree!! The parka sounds just fine. Unless you have to be really chic for appointments in Ireland, I recommend going for comfort! My choice for both Scotland and Ireland is "layers". For extremely wet days I have my Goretex shell jacket with me and a fleece for underneath! A nice warm scarf is always a good idea - or buy a nice one there! It´s as good a souvenir as I could think of - perhaps even a matching hat and gloves!

Agree with all of this....we're just across the Irish Sea, and have exactly the same weather....just come in from walking the dog, wearing waterproof over trousers and a cycling poncho with hood....my shoes are drying off next to the radiator. Wet and wild, but not usually extremely cold.

Jo.

Archived