First time cruiser (with a 2 yr old) - Royal Caribbean or Norwegian?

rycruise

Hello there! This will be my first cruise trip, so I decide to begin with a 5-7 day cruise instead of a longer one. I have a (almost) 2-year old daughter so I decide to take either Norwegian or Royal Caribbean because they (seem to) have better infant (<2yr) care/ programs.

Here are some choices for me:

1) Norwegian Sky - 4 nights (East Caribbean)

2) Norwegian Pearl - 7 nights (East Caribbean)

3) Royal Caribbean Majesty - 4 nights (East Caribbean)

I ‘d like to ask your opinions about the food, service, activities, infant care, etc on these ships. I read some reviews - many people complained about NCL’s food and service, and some people complained about Royal Caribbean’s food and service as well.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

I see you've received lots of advice on the other two threads where you asked this question.

If your child is under two, they won't be able to participate in the kid's club on NCL, and babysitting is also only available for ages two and older. So basically, you'll have your child 24/7.

On RCL, you can request babysitters as long as your child is at least one year old. I don't believe (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), that Majesty has a Babies and Tots Nursery. So your only option there is to try and arrange a babysitter.

I would wait until my child was at least two, or choose a different ship.

I can't speak from experience cruising, however I can tell you what I have found from TONS of research (I tend to over think and over plan).

NCL - NO CARE at all for under 2

Royal Caribbean - has "babysitting" for under 2 but over 1 but from what I have read, heard and been told it is not guaranteed. I have read stories of people who booked the babysitting only to be told on the day that it wasn't available.

Carnival (this is who we ended up booking with for January) - they have babysitting in a group setting from 8-10am on sea days and on port days up til noon unless you get into port late then til 5. Then they have late night sitting from 10-3am (don't think I would ever use this but some people may). The babysitting is $6/hr I think per child. Children over 2 go to Camp Carnival and there is no extra charge for this.

We really thought we were going to book with RCL due to the in room babysitting but when I heard so many stories about it not even being available I decided not to take the chance of having nothing. At least I know on Carnival we will have something, even if only for a short time. Our children are 4.5 and 15mos when we cruise.

Good luck!

I can't speak from experience cruising, however I can tell you what I have found from TONS of research (I tend to over think and over plan).

NCL - NO CARE at all for under 2

Royal Caribbean - has "babysitting" for under 2 but over 1 but from what I have read, heard and been told it is not guaranteed. I have read stories of people who booked the babysitting only to be told on the day that it wasn't available.

Carnival (this is who we ended up booking with for January) - they have babysitting in a group setting from 8-10am on sea days and on port days up til noon unless you get into port late then til 5. Then they have late night sitting from 10-3am (don't think I would ever use this but some people may). The babysitting is $6/hr I think per child. Children over 2 go to Camp Carnival and there is no extra charge for this.

We really thought we were going to book with RCL due to the in room babysitting but when I heard so many stories about it not even being available I decided not to take the chance of having nothing. At least I know on Carnival we will have something, even if only for a short time. Our children are 4.5 and 15mos when we cruise.

Good luck!

We've used this service and it's fantastic. We'd drop our kids off at 10 (we tend to have a "family nap time" in the late afternoon so everyone can stay up late) and our 5 year old son would play for a while then settle down on his "magic carpet" for bed, and our 11 month old baby would be settled in a pack and play next to all the big kids. She'd play with toys for about 30 minutes, have a bottle, and go to sleep. We'd pick them up sleeping and carry them back to the room. They had fun, and we got to be grownups for a few hours. Plus, your kids are similar ages... they may be reassured by the presence of the other child there - our boy would check up on his baby sister and show her off to the other kids.

The rate for this was $6 an hour for one child, or $10 for both. This went on our Sail&Sign card - cash wasn't necessary.

I feel this is a far superior system to RCI (who we're cruising with next month) and I will certainly be favouring Carnival again in the future. They were a great fit for our family - everyone was happy - and I'm irritated with myself that I thought that RCI would fufill our needs as well as Carnival did.

We've used this service and it's fantastic. We'd drop our kids off at 10 (we tend to have a "family nap time" in the late afternoon so everyone can stay up late) and our 5 year old son would play for a while then settle down on his "magic carpet" for bed, and our 11 month old baby would be settled in a pack and play next to all the big kids. She'd play with toys for about 30 minutes, have a bottle, and go to sleep. We'd pick them up sleeping and carry them back to the room. They had fun, and we got to be grownups for a few hours. Plus, your kids are similar ages... they may be reassured by the presence of the other child there - our boy would check up on his baby sister and show her off to the other kids.

The rate for this was $6 an hour for one child, or $10 for both. This went on our Sail&Sign card - cash wasn't necessary.

I feel this is a far superior system to RCI (who we're cruising with next month) and I will certainly be favouring Carnival again in the future. They were a great fit for our family - everyone was happy - and I'm irritated with myself that I thought that RCI would fufill our needs as well as Carnival did.

Yeah, unless you take Oasis, Allure, or Freedom, Indy, Liberty later next year, and can use the nursery, you would have to book in room sitting for the little ones under 2. And, as we know, this isn't a sure thing.

In this regard Carnival is better, I think, unless, like I said, you get on one of the really big ships with nurseries.

Out of the 3 choices your gave and as far as over all ship goes, the NCL Pearl wins hands down. Hopefully the little one will be 2 yrs old by sailing date so she can enjoy the kids club on the Pearl. If your child is under 2 I highly recommend Disney, they have the nursery and facilities for an excellent family cruise. As stated before Oasis and Allure have a nursery and are highly recommended. Personally I can't say enough good things about the Pearl or the NCL EPIC, bring a babysitter (if under 2) and enjoy.

Another thing to consider is that a child under 2 sails for "free" (except for taxes and port charges) on NCL or Disney but pays a full 3rd person rate on Carnival or RCI.

I sailed with my DD twice on NCL before she was 2 and once when she was 2.5. I did not care for their child care program for her at 2.5 yo and ended up not sending her. The under 2 zoo is TERRIBLE. There are nothing but broken and dirty toys there. So yes, It is true that you will have your kids 24/7 if they are under 2 and maybe if they are over 2. That being said I really enjoyed our cruises on the Pearl/Gem/Jewel. We found plenty to keep us busy as a family. Of the cruises you listed I would do the Pearl b/c I'd much rather cruise for 7 days then 4 :)

Archived