cayo laventado, dominican republic

thatbloominplace

has anyone done this port with oceania. i contacted a local tour company and he says that oceania only tenders its passengers to the island and not to the mainland. therefore, he says that you can only do tours to the mainland (samana) with oceania. does anyone know if this is truly the situation.

steve

The Regatta stopped there for the day in March. You are anchored off the coast of DR between the mainland and CL. Tendering became interesting in the afternoon as wind came up with serious wind waves for the tendering process coming back to the ship. I even took video of waves breaking over the tenders windshield as they returned with passengers from both CL and Samana. Yes, you must have a pre-reserved O tour to get to the mainland of DR. CL was fun. They charge a couple of dollars for lounge chairs and serve the best pina coladas in fresh pineapples. Little shacks sell souvenirs, local artwork and cigars. Some passengers became ill from the rough seas on the return to the mothership.Since not affected personally, I thought of it as an adventure. This later development to not go to the mainland with short notice to passengers taught me a lesson. Note to myself: no more involvement in scheduling an independent tour (as there was no way to get to the mainland). My cancellation of the tour to DR before leaving on the cruise became a hassle with dueling emails to the tour operator. Other than that, it was a delightful cruise.

Samana was the very first port on my very first cruise in December, 1980, aboard Carnival's Carnivale (which was the former Empress of Britain). At the time, we docked at a former Chiquita Banana dock on the north shore of the Dominican Republic and were driven across the mountain to Samana in decrepit Toyotas and Datsuns laughingly called Taxis. Ours had little or no brakes, and 9 of us, including 5 adults and 4 kids 12 and under, were packed into one Corolla, with the kids on the adults' laps (ah, the joys of early cruising).

Once in the town of Samana, we boarded a flotilla of fishing boats and barely floating cruising boats (ours was a wooden Chris Craft), and transported to the picnic island in the bay. the entire island was open to the public, and it was gorgeous. However, it was also mobbed with beggars, both adults and kids, hawking all kinds of "crafts", pestering unmercifully. Betsy bought a "hand-carved wooden" ashtray for $5, which turned out to be painted ceramic. My 9 year old son traded a chicken drumstick for the same thing (Carnival had supplied us with a cold fried chicken boxed lunch).

The poverty was unbelievable, the begging nonstop, and the "Beach Party" was not at all enjoyable.

Fast forward to 2006, 26 years later. We had recently resumed cruising after working and raising our families. Our last stop on that cruise, on Oceania Regatta, was at Samana. At that time, the dock on the other side of the island was no longer in existence and we tendered from the bay. We were offered the choice of tendering to the city or the island. By then, most of the island had been purchased and turned into a luxury private resort -- Cayo Levantado. A small portion of the island was still open to the public. To visit the resort, and be essentially away from the residents, involved a tour fee. We chose to go to the mainland and walk towards town. We ended up at a craft market about halfway to town, looked around, and walked back to the ship. Along the way, we were accosted by those same beggars, now grown, and their kids, still selling everything from junk ashtrays to conch shells, following closely, jabbering nonstop and unrelenting. We went back to the ship and vowed never to set foot on the "mainland" again.

By the way, we are not snooty or stuffy, and usually enjoy whatever the local port has to offer. For us to have this reaction, it had to be really bad.

Now, jump ahead to January, 2010, and once again we were headed to the same location, this time on Regent Seven Seas Navigator, and now called Cayo Levantado instead of Samana. My guess for the name change was that no one wanted to go to Samana any longer. This time, however, shore excursions were included in the cruise fare, so we took advantage of a tour by speedboat to a National Park with mangroves and caves. The speedboats picked us up right at the gangplank, and we were off for a 45 minute fast boat ride across the bay to the tour area. The boats are open and have rows of seats, holding about 20 people. They are twin-hulled and as comfortable as a speedboat could possibly be. Once there, we cruised slowly among majestic islands with cliffs, thousands of birds, mangrove swamps, and docked to explore a cave in one of the islands. There was a similar tour that involved the more energetic passengers in kayaks in the mangrove area.

This excursion was worthwhile and did not involve setting foot on the mainland, so we were happy. At the conclusion of the tour, the speedboats let us off at the public beach area of the beach island, where residents with permits had set up booths to sell crafts and such. This area is pretty well regulated and not nearly as pushy. We looked around a little, reminisced about our 1980 visit, then caught a tender back to the ship.

I'm certain the reason why they stopped going to the "mainland" is because of the begging and poverty, perhaps engendering some danger, but certainly causing discomfort to the guests. I suspect, but do not know, that the reason why they continue to visit the port is two-fold: I doubt there are any fees; and a glance at a map shows that there is really no other convenient port considering the distance a cruise ship can cover overnight.

Next April, we will again be on Regatta as she travels to southern US ports, Bermuda, down to Puerto Rico, and then turns back to Miami, making a giant circle. The next-to-last stop will once again be Cayo Levantado. this time, I think we will stay on the ship.

Actually, with all due respect to the sage advice of Don, Samana is still a city on the mainland where tenders dock on O tours only. CL also known as Bacardi Island is 6 miles off shore where the tenders with the non-shore excursion folks are taken for a nice beach day.

There on my return to Miami from the Amazon. I am not a beach person since I born with a tan. Wasn't thrilled to tender in until I found a fabulous kiosk with handmade beaded jewelry. Yarn, Jewelry, get out my way..... I had a massage on the beach and had to return to the ship to get more cash for the beaded treasures I found. Her name is Tatiana Bodden if anyone is interested. I also have a email address. Keep in mind that there is no access to the private Hotel that is adjacent to the beach set aside for Oceania passengers, so take enough cash with you.

Is there a charge for the tender to CL if I don't take an Oceania excursion to Samana?

Thanks

No charge for the tender. I believe the tour ends up at the same place eventually for lunch and cocktails. I heard mixed reviews about the tour. I actually enjoyed the beach. Places for lunch, massage, shopping, tanning, etc.

Nope, no charge for tenders to CL. Beach lounge chairs are rented for a couple of dollars. On the way from tender dock to the beach are vendors selling all sorts of jewelry, artwork, cigars, and local crafts. While basking in the sun or shade, a couple of persons walked by with macaws and monkeys available for photos with the tourists for a small price. Sales people in the huts and those offering drinks were low keyed compared to Nassau or time share sales people in Mexican airports. IMHO.

Thank you!

I guess I should've asked at the same time; does the Regatta tender or dock at: Virgin Gorda, Cruz Bay, Gustavia, Tortola and Nassau? I'm on the Islands in the Sun sailing on Jan 2nd. First time in the Caribbean and wondering what there is to do other than lying around in the sun (which I'm definitely looking forward to).

mjbc we are on the jan. 2 sailing also.

oceania is offering an excursion to cl for 69 p/p which sounds really steep. is the beach they are offering the same beach that others are referring to. are there beaches within walking distance from the pier?

we are looking at excursions to samana. anyone taken any of these that they would recommend. saw one that included biking, hiking and kayaking. any thoughts.

steve

Oceania is shifting its DR port of call for the 2011-2012 winter season. Instead of Samana/Cayo Levantado, they will be calling at La Romana on the southern shore. There is a large resort there, so maybe a more rewarding experience? We will see. We visit it on our Marina 1-3-12 cruise.

After reading the latest post re: the price of $69 pp to go to CL via tenders, I went to O's site and see now they include a beach chair, food and open bar. Oh well, things change. Last March we were on our own for lounge chair, food and drink and we did not spend 140 for a four hour beach break. So now I do not if one is charged for the tenders to CL aside from the beach break info from O.:eek:

I believe the $69 per person "tour" is for access to the private beach and amenities of the resort hotel on the small island. There is also a public beach on the island, which is where the tender will take you if you do not purchase the tour. I think I have a picture somewhere of the public beach...

cayolevantadobeach.jpg

Actually, with all due respect to the sage advice of Don, Samana is still a city on the mainland where tenders dock on O tours only. CL also known as Bacardi Island is 6 miles off shore where the tenders with the non-shore excursion folks are taken for a nice beach day.

Does this mean if you want to go to Samana on your own that you cannot go in the Oceania tender? Would O refuse to let non O tour pax into the tenders to the mainland? I do not want to go to the beach at CL and I do not want to take an O shore excursion.

has anyone done this port with oceania. i contacted a local tour company and he says that oceania only tenders its passengers to the island and not to the mainland. therefore, he says that you can only do tours to the mainland (samana) with oceania. does anyone know if this is truly the situation.

steve

We are due to be at this port in December so I contacted Oceania directly when I got the same response from a Samana tour guide. Oceania confirmed that they only offer tender service to the island. They are shore ex to mainland and that is all. Quite frankly I think that's a shame.

We are due to be at this port in December so I contacted Oceania directly when I got the same response from a Samana tour guide. Oceania confirmed that they only offer tender service to the island. They are shore ex to mainland and that is all. Quite frankly I think that's a shame.

comcox: Are you saying Oceania told you that you cannot go in the tender to Samana, that they would prohibit you from boarding the tender, unless you are on an O shore ex? Did they tell you they would refuse to take pax there if that's where they wanted to go? That's BS is that's the case. If O has tenders going to a dock why should it matter who is on it? Are they going to make everyone show a pass or ticket? What if someone needed to get to the mainland to see a doctor or had to purchase something that was unavailable at the beach/island?

Based on my 2006 stop at Samana when the tenders would still take you to the mainland, it's probably a darn good thing they stopped it. The pier for the tenders on the mainland is a good distance from the town, and the only transportation we saw were home-made motorcycle "rickshaws", usually made from a small dirt bike, bicycle wheels and plywood, with the quality of the construction based on the skills (or lack thereof) of the owner.

I'm certain Oceania had a good reason to stop tender service to the mainland, based on passenger complaints. The one good thing that has happened since my very first visit in 1980 is that resident access to the island is controlled and guests are safe there.

As far as medical or purchases, I think one would be well to consider the Cayo Levantado stop as similar to the Princess Cay stop in the Bahamas, were there is no access to the main island of Eleuthera -- it is strictly a beach stop. The only difference is that some shore excursions are available in CL, although I'm reasonably certain they will not stop anywhere that is not on the tour.

If there was anything worth seeing in the area, they would get you there.

Our first cruise on Oceania was the Caribbean Pearls itinerary on Regatta this last March. We booked a "Discover Samana" tour through the cruise line. Highlights: Seeing the countryside, the little towns with their baseball fields & tiny shops, plus a chance to see the beautiful beaches In Las Terrenas on the north shore of the DR. Lowlights: A horrid ride to & from Samana on an open catamaran (very rough waters), a stop at a ludicrous whale museum in Samana & an obligatory and overlong stop at a souvenir emporium on our way to Las Terrenas, plus limited time to actually see the beaches. The ride back on the catamaran was very frightening as we slammed into every wave with wrenching force, all of us hanging on for dear life. In fact, the catamaran had to go to Cayo Leventado so that we could board a tender for the ship & we had to exit the tender one at a time with lots of crew assistance. The best part of the day was when we sailed out and saw several pods of humpback whales.

comcox: Are you saying Oceania told you that you cannot go in the tender to Samana, that they would prohibit you from boarding the tender, unless you are on an O shore ex? Did they tell you they would refuse to take pax there if that's where they wanted to go? That's BS is that's the case. If O has tenders going to a dock why should it matter who is on it? Are they going to make everyone show a pass or ticket? What if someone needed to get to the mainland to see a doctor or had to purchase something that was unavailable at the beach/island?

All I know is that they told me no tender service to Samana and the tour guide there with whom I wanted to book told me they hadn't allowed passengers to tender over in the past.

All I know is that they told me no tender service to Samana and the tour guide there with whom I wanted to book told me they hadn't allowed passengers to tender over in the past.

Well that sucks. This will be the first time in over 35 cruises that I will be denied boarding of a tender and prohibited from going to shore to be on my own unless I'm on an overpriced ship excursion. I'm not a very happy camper. I've never been to the Dominican republic before and was looking forward to exploring someplace new.

When we called at this port while on our "Amazon" cruise last year we were tendered to the island of Cayo Laventado and on arrival there we found there was really nothing but a beautiful beach which did not appeal to us as we are not sun worshipers. While on the island jetty we found that there was an alternative, a small local boat which held about 20 people would ferry you to Samana for a modest fee. They did not take money on the journey to Samana but on the return which gave one the assurance that they would come back!! They gave one or two times when the boat would leave Samana and return to the island. The small town of Samana was not too touristy with only a few stalls set up along the sea front. There was a recently built mini shopping complex of smart shops and cafes where we enjoyed a pleasant snack lunch. We still did not get the reason that Oceania were very anti Samana, they kept saying that it was run down and dangerous for visitors but we certainly did not encounter any of these things. Hope this will give you an idea of what you can enjoy.

When we called at this port while on our "Amazon" cruise last year we...We still did not get the reason that Oceania were very anti Samana, they kept saying that it was run down and dangerous for visitors but we certainly did not encounter any of these things..

I think the explanation for that is that when a cruise ship disgorges its passengers on the mainland, the place goes nuts with every beggar and bamboozler they have congregating at the little pier where the tenders arrive. I suspect it's not a bad place without that element, and I suspect they stay home when they know the guests are going to be restricted to the island or specific tours.

I've got to add that we've been in a great number of Caribbean islands and some other place where the poverty is at least as great (such as the Cape Verde Islands), and we've never been badgered so mercilessly by beggars as Samana. We've walked places where others warn against it and never felt as uncomfortable. I didn't get the feeling that many of the beggars were dangerous, but they attached themselves like leeches, refused to go away, and stayed close enough to rub. The kids, especially, tugged on clothing and refused to take a firm "no", but it was the old men selling their conch shells who were the most aggressive.

Archived