Dry cleaning problem

Mpowered

We've been on three HA cruises, all within a year, all in SA suites. The most recent was in May 2010, to Alaska. On all three cruises, we frequently used the included laundry and dry cleaning services, and we were always pleased. Until today.

This morning, I took my red jacket/blazer from my closet. I had it dry cleaned on the Oosterdam a day or two before our cruise ended. It went right into the garment bag, and then into my closet. Today is the first time I've worn it since the cruise. The dry cleaning tag from the Oosterdam was still on it. Alas, both sleeves have many slits and holes. Some look like they were punches; others look like cuts. I'm guessing the sleeves were caught in some kind of machine. The lining of the jacket is not damaged.

It's five months after our trip. Has anyone tried to get redress (pun intended) for a similar problem after this much time has passed? And where should I start? Guest relations? Thanks for any help!

Joan

We've been on three HA cruises, all within a year, all in SA suites. The most recent was in May 2010, to Alaska. On all three cruises, we frequently used the included laundry and dry cleaning services, and we were always pleased. Until today.

This morning, I took my red jacket/blazer from my closet. I had it dry cleaned on the Oosterdam a day or two before our cruise ended. It went right into the garment bag, and then into my closet. Today is the first time I've worn it since the cruise. The dry cleaning tag from the Oosterdam was still on it. Alas, both sleeves have many slits and holes. Some look like they were punches; others look like cuts. I'm guessing the sleeves were caught in some kind of machine. The lining of the jacket is not damaged.

It's five months after our trip. Has anyone tried to get redress (pun intended) for a similar problem after this much time has passed? And where should I start? Guest relations? Thanks for any help!

Joan

Oh, sorry but think you probably out of luck, but you can try...Have no idea where you would send the complaint to though..

Can't believe you did not notice it when it came back from the laundry on the ship...Were the slits/holes on the underside of the sleeves?..

I have HAL do our laundry for every day things but not for good dress clothes & have never used their dry cleaning service, as I prefer to either hand wash those things myself or take them to our special cleaners in town..

Betty

Sorry -- but after this many months I don't think HAL will listen to you -- they will read your letter -- but since so much time has passed they will assume that since then you have worn that jacket and maybe had it dry cleaned in that time.

I will only send out regular laundry -- even with that we have had problems a couple of times.

As for dry cleaning -- will only send out DH's slacks -- and one time it came back with a black mark near thw waist band -- I saw it right away and showed it to our concierges.

I always check each item when it is returned to us from the laundry/dry cleaning right away.

PS -- I never send out DH's tuxedo.

How sad to think that HAL will assume I'm a liar. :-(

Thanks for the responses. In the future, I will certainly check all items as soon as they're returned.

J.

I don't think anyone said that HAL will think you are a liar. Five months have passed. I don't think there is a company on the continent that you could approach after five months had elapsed to complain and expect any response in your favor. If you are successful in your dealings with HAL, please don't post about it on the internet, cuz surer than heck, it will encourage others to try a scam.

Sadly, your problem is a good cautionary tale for those who use the ship's drycleaning service.

I'd give it a shot with HAL. Worst you can get is a "sorry but no".

Take some digital photos that show the tag still attached and the damage. Perhaps you are not the only one from that cruise who had problems with the dry cleaning service.

With three crusises in one year, HAL should bend over backwards to keep you happy.

I agree with HamOp. Ready yourself not to be too disappointed if they simply apologize and say there's nothing they can do. On the other hand, if I was at HAL and read a letter with the story just as you wrote it in this post, I would contact you to find out how much you spent on the blazer and would cut a check to you the same day. Yes, it might be going above and beyond what people expect, but that kind of attitude is actually what I've come to expect from HAL!

I wish I could add a big NOT to the title of this thread. After examining my jacket very carefully, I've decided that the Oosterdam's dry cleaning service probably DID NOT damage my jacket. Some tears did appear to be caused by something mechanical, but in other places, the jacket simply seems to be falling apart. And it seems that the condition seemed to deteriorate over the day. It's a cotton-linen jacket from Talbots, and it has been stored carefully, away from sunlight, so it didn't occur to mie that fabric could be disintegrating.

My apologies to HAL. I'm not sure what happened to this jacket, but I doubt that it was HAL. We will continue to use the laundry and dry cleaning service, if we are fortunate enough to go on more cruises with HAL.

Joan

It's a cotton-linen jacket from Talbots, and it has been stored carefully, away from sunlight, so it didn't occur to mie that fabric could be disintegrating.

My apologies to HAL. I'm not sure what happened to this jacket, but I doubt that it was HAL. We will continue to use the laundry and dry cleaning service, if we are fortunate enough to go on more cruises with HAL.

Thanks for letting us know! I've had several linen items literally tear right through the fabric in pressure point spots -- usually elbows, and shoulder seams. I think it is caused by the processes the manufacturers use to treat linen now to get it to market cheaply. Liz Claiborne, Jones New York, Talbot's..... pressure point rips that happen NOT while I am wearing the item.

Hard to believe that today's linen is anywhere NEAR the same fabric that was used in the heirloom tablecloths we inherited from our mothers and grandmothers.

Kudos to you for having the integrity to come back and tell us what happened.

I second that emotion!

And Iceman93, thanks for the backup. By the way, I love Redondo Beach, although it's been years.......

I wish I could add a big NOT to the title of this thread. After examining my jacket very carefully, I've decided that the Oosterdam's dry cleaning service probably DID NOT damage my jacket. Some tears did appear to be caused by something mechanical, but in other places, the jacket simply seems to be falling apart. And it seems that the condition seemed to deteriorate over the day. It's a cotton-linen jacket from Talbots, and it has been stored carefully, away from sunlight, so it didn't occur to mie that fabric could be disintegrating.

Joan

Thanks for letting us know! I've had several linen items literally tear right through the fabric in pressure point spots -- usually elbows, and shoulder seams. I think it is caused by the processes the manufacturers use to treat linen now to get it to market cheaply. Liz Claiborne, Jones New York, Talbot's..... pressure point rips that happen NOT while I am wearing the item.

Hard to believe that today's linen is anywhere NEAR the same fabric that was used in the heirloom tablecloths we inherited from our mothers and grandmothers.

Thank you for letting us know the outcome...

Now I'm wondering if the dry cleaning process could have some effect on Linen garments...As a young woman I was always told that linen & cotton's should be washed..Of course they are almost impossible to press without a mangle, so I used to take my Linen cloths to the Chinese Laundry along with DH's shirts..But now wonder if dry cleaning solutions might be the cause of them falling apart..

Now that I'm older, I don't purchase linen cloths or garments as can't stand the wrinkles..LOL

Just a thought & wonder if Héloise would know the answer..:confused:

Cheers...:)Betty

The only thing I've had "ruined" was a white blouse, linen blend with a little stretch in the fabric. When it came back it had the telltale yellowing that bleach causes with spandex. My fault. I should have looked at the tag better before sending it. I could have washed it in the sink, and then just sent it for pressing. I was just so impressed with their ironing, (and my not having to iron!) that I got careless.

So, word of caution, check your fabrics. In a colored shirt the bleach issue wouldn't surface.

On my next cruise (January) I swear I am going to take less clothes, as the laundry service is very efficient. Of course, I say that every cruise...:D

Archived