HAL Aussie Booking Rip-off

lombard18

Here are the posted guidelines for this forum regarding discussion of travel agencies. Several agencies were mentioned by name on your original thread regarding this topic. I'm guessing that's why the other thread was pulled. This thread may be pulled as well. I am neither advocating nor protesting this rule; I'm simply bringing it to your attention in order to answer your question:

"There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts may result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

While we are on the subject, it is not unusual for lines to give substantial "residence" discounts even within the United States. Folks who reside in Seattle and Vancouver are not eligible for the significant discounts available to residents of other states for Alaska cruises. I like to think of it more as a supply and demand thought and not price gouging. A person in Texas will pay less for a cruise out of Seattle because they have to calculate in getting to the pier. In the same measure, a cruise price in Australia will have to be lower for a person in the United States to factor in the overseas air cost. I got a substantial discount on a cruise last year and was emailed several times saying I would have to have a driver's license to prove residency at check in or I would have to pay the additional amount to board. I was a resident of the discount state, and did produce my driver's license and had no other questions. So while I agree it may not be "fair" it is the way supply and demand works. If you are willing to pay X dollars and meet the criteria, you get the product. Just my thoughts.

While we are on the subject, it is not unusual for lines to give substantial "residence" discounts even within the United States. Folks who reside in Seattle and Vancouver are not eligible for the significant discounts available to residents of other states for Alaska cruises. I like to think of it more as a supply and demand thought and not price gouging. A person in Texas will pay less for a cruise out of Seattle because they have to calculate in getting to the pier. In the same measure, a cruise price in Australia will have to be lower for a person in the United States to factor in the overseas air cost. I got a substantial discount on a cruise last year and was emailed several times saying I would have to have a driver's license to prove residency at check in or I would have to pay the additional amount to board. I was a resident of the discount state, and did produce my driver's license and had no other questions. So while I agree it may not be "fair" it is the way supply and demand works. If you are willing to pay X dollars and meet the criteria, you get the product. Just my thoughts.

Yes but here in Australia we pay heaps more for cruises than what US citizens do. Why because they factor in such out of date exchange rates. I would sooner see the cruise lines here in Australia giving customers the option to book in US dollars and give as a go at having cheaper cruises.

We can't purchase cruises sailing out of the US cheaper than what Americans can, and we have to factor in a long haul flight. Australians are being ripped off! Hence why we haven't booked another cruise yet.

why has c/critic chosen to delete this perfectly honest and relevant thread????

In addition this rule is also in the CC guidelines under

Management of this community

Discussion of our management policies and procedures -- including post deletions-- is considered off-topic discussion for our cruise boards and will be removed without notice. All decisions regarding any action taken by management shall remain final.

If you have comments or concerns regarding the management of this community, please address them to: community@cruisecritic.com.

I feel your pain. :( I booked a cruise (canadian dollars) Found a website selling the same cruise for 500.00 (USD) cheaper per peson. I called to see if I could get the same deal and they said no. I had to have an American address/live there to reap the rewards. :rolleyes: It was worth a try. Being that the CAD & USD are not much different right now. I was willing to pay in USD too. Made no difference.

Yes but here in Australia we pay heaps more for cruises than what US citizens do. Why because they factor in such out of date exchange rates. I would sooner see the cruise lines here in Australia giving customers the option to book in US dollars and give as a go at having cheaper cruises.

We can't purchase cruises sailing out of the US cheaper than what Americans can, and we have to factor in a long haul flight. Australians are being ripped off! Hence why we haven't booked another cruise yet.

I'm an Aussie and have been discussing this for a few weeks with some other cruisers here in Queensland. We have'nt got very far yet but have been doing some research. Some facts (among others) that may (or may not) impinge on this matter are we believs as follows-

Australia and the USA have a formal 'Free Trade Agreement' in place.

There are vey few protected industies in that agreement and cruise lines and travel agents in either country are not included in that list.

The actions of US cruise lines in specifically forbidding their contracted travel agents to boo Aussie customes on their cruise in most certainly in breach of the spirit of the US/Aus FTA.

As far as we have been able to determine through purusing documentation available from Australian Dept of Foreign Afairs and Trade it would appear that in fact such action may be in breach of the law in both the US and in Australia.

At the present time we are trying to find out more and confirm if in fact this activity does in fact breach any law resulting from the US/Aus FTA. So far we have not had any reples (too hard basket?, or we are just 'littleguys?). If we do find that this is in fact the case then we will be pushing to see what action the Au got. is prepared to take on behalf of its citizens.

Any Aussie wanting to help push the Feds in regard to this matter is invited to bombard the DFAT with correspondance or emails. Any US citizen who believes that this is instrinsically wrong and is so inclined is invited to appy similar action on their side of the pond.

Finally - I would like to note that as the Aussie and Canuck posters have noted the price differences between US and local travel agents cannot be accounted for simply by exchange rates and inclusions etc. It's possible for example to find some cruise where the inside and oceanview cabins correlate for Aus/Can travel agents but there is a $1500 differential on the balcony prining. At other times you and expect a minimum of 35% differential accross al fares.

To top this all off, would you beleive, that ifI log in to an Aussie travel agent and present/pretend to be a yank - I have no problems at all booking a cruise anywhere in the world. Apparently this restriction is one way only - Go figure !!

Regards to all and DLTBGYD

KBG

I'm an Aussie and have been discussing this for a few weeks with some other cruisers here in Queensland. We have'nt got very far yet but have been doing some research. Some facts (among others) that may (or may not) impinge on this matter are we believs as follows-

Australia and the USA have a formal 'Free Trade Agreement' in place.

There are vey few protected industies in that agreement and cruise lines and travel agents in either country are not included in that list.

The actions of US cruise lines in specifically forbidding their contracted travel agents to boo Aussie customes on their cruise in most certainly in breach of the spirit of the US/Aus FTA.

As far as we have been able to determine through purusing documentation available from Australian Dept of Foreign Afairs and Trade it would appear that in fact such action may be in breach of the law in both the US and in Australia.

At the present time we are trying to find out more and confirm if in fact this activity does in fact breach any law resulting from the US/Aus FTA. So far we have not had any reples (too hard basket?, or we are just 'littleguys?). If we do find that this is in fact the case then we will be pushing to see what action the Au got. is prepared to take on behalf of its citizens.

Any Aussie wanting to help push the Feds in regard to this matter is invited to bombard the DFAT with correspondance or emails. Any US citizen who believes that this is instrinsically wrong and is so inclined is invited to appy similar action on their side of the pond.

Finally - I would like to note that as the Aussie and Canuck posters have noted the price differences between US and local travel agents cannot be accounted for simply by exchange rates and inclusions etc. It's possible for example to find some cruise where the inside and oceanview cabins correlate for Aus/Can travel agents but there is a $1500 differential on the balcony prining. At other times you and expect a minimum of 35% differential accross al fares.

To top this all off, would you beleive, that ifI log in to an Aussie travel agent and present/pretend to be a yank - I have no problems at all booking a cruise anywhere in the world. Apparently this restriction is one way only - Go figure !!

Regards to all and DLTBGYD

KBG

You will enjoy reading this thread on the P&O Australia site which is not just for P&O cruising.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1096739&highlight=cruise+rip

Cruise critic also ran an interesting article about this situation a few months ago.

We are Canadian. When we have decided on a cruise we get quotes from three sources. The first two quotes come from a Canadian TA. We ask for, and receive 2 quotes-one in CAD fare and the other in USD fare. Usually these prices are not aligned to the exchange rate. On our last Celebrity cruise, the CAD price was actually lower, after exhange, than the USD rate. It was also better than the on line TA rate. I think this is because the cruise lines set exchange rates in advance. When the currency increases or decreases significantly within their exchange setting time window advantage can be taken. We also get a quote from our on line US TA. This is what we usually buy because once the OBC's are considered, the net fare from them is usually the best. We keep a USD bank account and a USD credit card.

Having said all that, I think that it is absolutely scandalous that the cruise lines often charge Aussies and Brits a significant premium and try to bully them into doing so with threats. We live in a global community. I am not certain if all cruise lines do this but I certainly wish you well and I would encourage you to boycott those cruise lines that have this practice. I also think that if the Aussie and Brit TA associations and industry associations were so inclined they could effectively raise the issue to the point where it is embarassing for the cruise lines. Perhaps they are not.

A clear example of the ripoff we suffer is purchasing onboard gifts on some cruiselines (not HAL). I was going to buy my parents a sailaway present and because their booking was from AU and in AUD the onboard purchases automatically were too. The conversion rate was about $.0.66 when the current floating rate on tv was $0.98. I couldn't even pay in USD and elect to have my CC provider convert it. Not happy with that.

shandryl...we too live in Canada. I do not know who you were speaking to-the cruise line or a Canadian TA. We regularly get quotes from a Canadian TA and weget them in CAD and in USD. Canadian agents can sell you a USD fared cruise thought many TA's simply do not have a clue.

The vast majority of our cruises are booked on line with our US based internet TA...all in US dollars and usually at a fare that is considerably less than other agencies. We never, ever book throught the cruise line as every time we get a quote, it is always the highest. I figure we save anywhere from 8-12 percent depending on the cruise and our cabin class selection.

Unfortunately, this is not the case.

When Australians cruise overseas, we are often charged much more, just because we live in Australia.

In my experience, MSC is the only cruise line which offers "2 for the price of 1" specials in Australia, from inception, for cruises overseas. These are cruises nowhere near Australia!

When we do cruises, such as transatlantic cruises, we have to add on expensive one way long haul airline tickets from Australia.

As I'm retired, I'd like to cruise more often, however, because of the restrictions on where I can legally buy cruises, I mainly travel by air, train, land and ferries, all of which I can buy direct.

We are Canadian. When we have decided on a cruise we get quotes from three sources. The first two quotes come from a Canadian TA. We ask for, and receive 2 quotes-one in CAD fare and the other in USD fare. Usually these prices are not aligned to the exchange rate. On our last Celebrity cruise, the CAD price was actually lower, after exhange, than the USD rate. It was also better than the on line TA rate. I think this is because the cruise lines set exchange rates in advance. When the currency increases or decreases significantly within their exchange setting time window advantage can be taken. We also get a quote from our on line US TA. This is what we usually buy because once the OBC's are considered, the net fare from them is usually the best. We keep a USD bank account and a USD credit card.

Having said all that, I think that it is absolutely scandalous that the cruise lines often charge Aussies and Brits a significant premium and try to bully them into doing so with threats. We live in a global community. I am not certain if all cruise lines do this but I certainly wish you well and I would encourage you to boycott those cruise lines that have this practice. I also think that if the Aussie and Brit TA associations and industry associations were so inclined they could effectively raise the issue to the point where it is embarassing for the cruise lines. Perhaps they are not.

Very well said, and I agree that us Aussies and Brits should boycott these lines if they continue this practice.

The cruise lines have set the fares at a very low exchange rate, and for instance if our dollar was to take a big dip, they would immediately adjust their prices to reflect that. They make sure that they don't miss out. Now that our dollar has increased significantly against the US dollar our cruise prices haven't come down to reflect our dollar's increase.

I suspect that everyone is at the trough on this....the cruise lines, the wholesalers, and the travel agencies. They all have an interest in maintaining artificially high prices and trying to stop folks from booking outside of the country. One thing is for sure, the cruise lines are not just at the trough on this, they are completely in it.

I suspect that everyone is at the trough on this....the cruise lines, the wholesalers, and the travel agencies. They all have an interest in maintaining artificially high prices and trying to stop folks from booking outside of the country. One thing is for sure, the cruise lines are not just at the trough on this, they are completely in it.

And if the cruise lines want bookings they have to come to the party. The GFC is really biting in hard here in Australia, people are not spending money, and waiting until retailers put on sales, before they open their purses. And no doubt that goes with the travel industry, people wait for a sale. People are becoming more aware that you don't have to pay full price anymore.

Go to ****co.com and put your membership number in and you will see what I mean They have travel available for their American members but none for the Canadian members. Yet I pay the same amount for yearly membership :confused: Not too mention all the other little extras and OBC's ........and other little trinkets. I get nothing but the higher price I paid. *just saying*:rolleyes:

AND!! we pay more for EVERYTHING!!! not just cruises!! and you know this!! ;)

shandryl...we too live in Canada. I do not know who you were speaking to-the cruise line or a Canadian TA. We regularly get quotes from a Canadian TA and weget them in CAD and in USD. Canadian agents can sell you a USD fared cruise thought many TA's simply do not have a clue.

The vast majority of our cruises are booked on line with our US based internet TA...all in US dollars and usually at a fare that is considerably less than other agencies. We never, ever book throught the cruise line as every time we get a quote, it is always the highest. I figure we save anywhere from 8-12 percent depending on the cruise and our cabin class selection.

We have offered our US address to Aussie friends for booking. They use our TA to book. I am sure you have made many US "friends" on prior cruises who would be more than happy to email, DHL, or FedEx to you any information or documents they receive. Book airfare on your own, do not use the cruise to book your airfare.

Problem solved!!!

I read the very nice words from the cruise line executives.

Their words were not straightforward...they were the same words that politicians use.

Bottom line, they admit to ripping off their Australian clients and have clearly stated that they have every intention on doing so in the future.

I read the very nice words from the cruise line executives.

Their words were not straightforward...they were the same words that politicians use.

Bottom line, they admit to ripping off their Australian clients and have clearly stated that they have every intention on doing so in the future.

I am assuming that you are referring to this part of the cruise critic article:

"Our aim is to offer stable, good-value, competitive pricing in all markets around the globe," says Richard D. Meadows, executive vice president of marketing, sales and guest programs for Holland America Line. "At any time, local competition, sales promotions and foreign exchange rates may affect the pricing relationship between markets." Jan Swartz, executive vice president of sales, marketing and customer service for Princess Cruises, concurs, stating that Princess' pricing "depends on the nature of the destination and itinerary, the demand in that market, and how much inventory we have left to sell."

In lay terms, they're saying that if Australians are buying cruises at higher rates than Americans are willing to pay, the cruise line has no incentive to drop prices Down Under to match those in the U.S. It's the same reason why a loaf of bread may cost different amounts in the supermarket in your town, the next town over, across the country or in another country -- even though it's the same product -- or why that children's toy you bought for a summer birthday party skyrockets in price around Christmas.

There is a significant difference. We are talking about a product that is not consumed in Australia. When an Australian is in FLL to board a cruise, that customer pays the same for a loaf of bread in Florida as a resident of Florida...or anyone else visiting the state for that matter.

Archived