Best line for a cabin configuration that allows a separate sleeping space for kids?

Darcy Longfellow

We're thinking about getting the whole family to go on an Alaskan cruise next summer. The group would include me, DH (both early 30's), our daughter who will be nearly 2, my parents, DH's parents (all early 60's and active), and possibly DH's brother (mid 20's) and uncle (mid 60's and very active).

My main concern is having some way for my daughter to have a separate sleeping space because she is a really light sleeper, and DH and I don't want to be stuck in our room in the dark every evening after she goes to sleep. So, we'd like either a room with a divider of some sort (MIL says Celebrity has something like this?), a large closet that we could stick her pack and play in, or connecting rooms so that DH and I can hang out in the grandparents' room after DD goes to bed, but still be able to hear her if she cries.

So, any suggestions for the best cruiseline?

Thanks so much!

Whatever you book, try to get something with a balcony...that way, you'll have that space to "hang" on (weather permitting!) while she goes to sleep!

I'd also start raising the sound level around her while shes's sleeping now, so that she can begin to sleep thru minor noises!

On RCI, a JS has a HUGE walk-in closet...plenty of space for a P&P, and on Radiance class ships, there's also a working curtain that can divide the bed from the sitting area... On the Voyager class ships, that same curtain is for decoration only...it doesn't divide the room.

All of RCI's ships have connecting cabins...even some of the JS's are connecting...and that's a great option, too, as it would allow some of you to leave and go "do your thing" on the ship, while only one of you stays to mind the child!

I'm not sure if other lines have these type rooms or not. RCI has Family Oceanviews (these are not considered suites) It has a separate area with bunk beds (essentially making it two rooms). Here is the diagram of the room. There is normally a five person minimum to book this room, however if you watch a sailing you will often find them offer these rooms with as few as two people. This is what we booked for our upcoming April cruise because we have the same concerns about our youngest. She will turn 1 the week before we go, so not quite sure how light of a sleeper she will be by then.

FO_layout.jpg

I'm not sure if other lines have these type rooms or not. RCI has Family Oceanviews (these are not considered suites) It has a separate area with bunk beds (essentially making it two rooms). Here is the diagram of the room. There is normally a five person minimum to book this room, however if you watch a sailing you will often find them offer these rooms with as few as two people. This is what we booked for our upcoming April cruise because we have the same concerns about our youngest. She will turn 1 the week before we go, so not quite sure how light of a sleeper she will be by then.

FO_layout.jpg

Just curious - would there be enough floor space in the second bedroom for a crib? I know there's plenty of space in the main area, but if the purpose is having the baby in a separate closed-off area, I'm not sure this would work.

We have sailed princess with our son 3 times and their mini-suites are great for this purpose! All 3 times Princess has been able to accomodate our request to section off the room with a heavy curtain (it is usually up by the time we get back from the Muster drill). As a back-up, I always bring some double-sided velcro tape...one side on the wall near the ceiling, another on an extra sheet that we request and it does the job too! We are travelling again this November and will do the same with our mini-suite (now with 2 kids!!!).:D

Happy sailing!

Just curious - would there be enough floor space in the second bedroom for a crib? I know there's plenty of space in the main area, but if the purpose is having the baby in a separate closed-off area, I'm not sure this would work.

I have not actually been in one to give a definitive answer on your question. I have seen several pictures of them and it does not look likely that a pack n play would fit, however the pictures I have seen are not arranged exactly like the diagram. The arrangement in the diagram looks more likely to fit a pack n play than what I have seen.

cabFO_NM-12.jpgcabFO_NM-10.jpg

cabFO_NM-19.jpg

We intend to take a peapod which will enable us to use the bottom bunk as we would a crib or pack n play.

peapod_plus2.jpg

I should probably also mention that, since we'll be cruising in Alaska, we'd really like to have a balcony.

Off to check out Princess...

Looks like you could use the walk in closet in the mini suite on Princess or the Junior Suite on RCI. I'm sure most of the rooms with walk in closets on any of the lines could be used for this. I can't locate it at the moment, but I have seen pictures on CC of people with a pack n play in a closet in JS on RCI. I remembered the poster was ridiculed for doing so, but they reported it worked well for them!

In addition to the excellent suggestions above, I'll also chime in that Disney cabins have nice dividing curtains in their rooms, which might work. We went on Celebrity and took a Royal Suite which had a separate bedroom - could be pricey, though. We'll be doing RCI soon and took a family oceanview - I am concerned about the size of the bunkbed room because like you we will have a Pack and Play for DD, although these rooms seem to be set up differently depending on the room you have, so who knows how it will work. It can be a bit difficult to get a family oceanview if you don't have a group of 5 or 6, though. Best of luck!

FO_layout.jpg

Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms on Voyager class? They are at the front of the ship and I'm wondering about the motion. I'm considering trading my D1 for one of these rooms (if available) so dd will have separate sleeping area but not sure if I will like the front of the ship.

Took our boys age 3 & 4, on Carnival Alaska cruise out of Seattle this past May. This was our second cruise with kids. They absolutely LOVED Camp Carnival activities. Just yesterday, my older son was talking about Fun Ship Freddy! We had the coolest room set up. We were located on the Upper deck down the hall from Camp Carnival which was so convenient and get this...are you ready...we had an outside stateroom with a balcony with an adjoining inside stateroom!! Yes, check it out. We had staterooms 5108-5106. They best arrangement EVER!!!! Only downside was constantly blowing ship vent outside balcony which created a constant breeze...noise not a problem inside cabin.

We've been on a few lines - and find NCL to have the best cabin configurations. Mini-suites (category AF) had a curtain that separates your sleeping area from your child's and full suites (category AB) has a separate room for your child. Both of these cabins have balconies. We find for the space provided the prices to be extremely reasonable and have always had good experiences.

Archived