Medically prescribed marijuana

bodog402

To celebrate my old college roommates six month remission from breast cancer, I have invited her to a Carnival Christmas cruise, most likely aboard the Glory leaving December 26th. Thank God, my friend is doing much better, but she is still on chemotherapy which sometimes makes her sick and with the possible combination of rough sea’s, I suggested that she continues using while on the cruise ( when necessary) her medically prescribed marijuana. As a Canadian citizen, the lawful use of medically prescribed marijuana is much more lax than it is here in the states and I wondered if anyone has had an experience aborad a Carnival ship regarding this issue ? I contacted Carnival and they suggested that I consult with an attorney since this was a legal issue and each jurisdiction the ship will visit is different. I spoke with my attorney who advised to either obtain a written policy declaration from Carnival, or just cruise on another cruise line that will allow this practice, or use it VERY discreetly. Any suggestions would be appreciated !

To celebrate my old college roommates six month remission from breast cancer, I have invited her to a Carnival Christmas cruise, most likely aboard the Glory leaving December 26th. Thank God, my friend is doing much better, but she is still on chemotherapy which sometimes makes her sick and with the possible combination of rough sea’s, I suggested that she continues using while on the cruise ( when necessary) her medically prescribed marijuana. As a Canadian citizen, the lawful use of medically prescribed marijuana is much more lax than it is here in the states and I wondered if anyone has had an experience aborad a Carnival ship regarding this issue ? I contacted Carnival and they suggested that I consult with an attorney since this was a legal issue and each jurisdiction the ship will visit is different. I spoke with my attorney who advised to either obtain a written policy declaration from Carnival, or just cruise on another cruise line that will allow this practice, or use it VERY discreetly. Any suggestions would be appreciated !

I would consult with someone .. because the dogs will getcha:eek:

While I may or may not agree,

Medical Marijuana is legalized by your State. It is still a federal crime. Cruiselines follow the regulations of the Feds, not your particular State.

True and I agree, however, the patient is Canadian and not an

American citizen.

The mass market lines that sail from the US all follow US laws on drug use and possession. The US government does not allow for the medical use of marijuana. I would suggest waiting to cruise until after the need has passed.

As an aside it will be illegal to bring it into the US either from Canada or from the ship on disembarkation which will subject you to arrest and prosecution and/or deportation and exclusion. Not something that you want to have happen.

I'm glad to hear that your friend is doing well, but my advice would be to not bring her marijuana onboard. As mentioned, it is illegal and I probably am a PIA to you in that if I smelled it onboard, I would report it.

I don't believe there are special rules for people who use it for medical reasons as opposed to just using it because it is enjoyed. I know I get seasick and use Bonine or the patch to prevent the sick feeling. I'm sure many others do the same.

Also, several of my friends have had breast cancer and chemo. I'm not saying that they feel great while having treatments, but they live in states that don't allow medical marijuana and they are still doing well.

I don't know of any cruise line that will ok marijuana use. If they did, I'm sure there would be many people who could get notes from their doctors saying they needed it for medical reasons. Perhaps by the time your cruise comes up, she will be done with her chemo and won't be needing the help.

I hope she enjoys her cruise==even without smoking her "stuff".

It's a violation of federal law. This is why Carnival has included it in the list of prohibited items:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

• Hookah

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88

I've been on several cruises & all except (2) I've always smelled it while walking down at least one corridor.

I don't know if it was "medical" or not.

On the last cruise I was on Aug/Sept2010(Valor), those people were at it several times a day/night.(Apparently the staff never bothered them about it.)

Keep it on your person(Your body is NOT checked, only your bags)....I don't think you'll have problems getting ON with it, but you might have problems getting OFF the ship with it.

Guns are also legal in the USA.... but definitely not allowed on cruise ships!

My point is..... even if your friend got some kind of legal document allowing your friend to bring it.... it's solely at the discretion of the cruise line whether they allow it or not.

I'm sure if it were me...... I'd do without it for a few days!

Oh... and keeping it on her body isn't too smart... there are often sniffer dogs at cruise ports!

I would have your friend discuss this with her doctor. Perhaps there will be a way to move her chemo so that she is not getting it right before sailing thus reducing any side effects that may follow a treatment. There are many meds that can be used for motion sickness that the doctor could reccomend based on your friends current meds. There's also an injection that can be given by the ships doctor if the nausea is bad. Your best bet is to talk to the doctor for his/her suggestions. I hope you are able to get answers and have a wonderful cruise :)

I wouldn't cruise.

She should understand the complications of being on Chemo, especially on how your blood chemistry gets whacked.

And with the possibility of viruses running on cruise ships and certain ports, I would not chance getting sick while away from Canada and her doctor.

And Carnival does require filling out a medical questionnaire stating you are healthy to cruise.

Just my opinion!

If you have a perscription for Medical Marijuana (Or your friend) then he or she knows you can get it in many forms IE: Candy, pills, etc..... My wife who has a legal persciption (In Calif. We live in NY but have a place in Calif. near NV) takes it when she has her treatments but she doesn't smoke it anymore she buys the lollypops and a few licks and she feels much better. Smoking it was causing her lung issues.

We have smelled people smoking it on Carnival twice, both on the Empress decks by the suites. Smell was very heavy on the balcony quite often and there were times we could smell it in the hallways. Our neighbor thought it was us because my wife was sick and they called and complained on us, nobody even came up or called us. She had a two lollypops and she put them in a different wrapper. These do not smell or would cause anyone else any displeasure.

If you insist on the smoking kind I wouldn't put it in your luggage or carry ons just put it in your pocket and you won't have an issue. In 2002 when my wife was on Chemo the first time (this summer was her 7th time) she got the smoking kind and brought it back on the plane to NY no issues, unless they do a strip search they aren't going to find it. Keep in mind it's 100% illegal and the ship could give you hassles if they wanted to.

I don't see an issue but I wouldn't go telling people you have it and show them paperwork it's leagal in Canada and some states. Your not supposed to bring it accross state lines (or that is my understanding). NJ has just approved it but they are strict, unlike Ca, NV and Canada.

I've been on several cruises & all except (2) I've always smelled it while walking down at least one corridor.

On the last cruise I was on Aug/Sept2010(Valor), those people were at it several times a day/night.(Apparently the staff never bothered them about it.)

Keep it on your person(Your body is NOT checked, only your bags)....I don't think you'll have problems getting ON with it, but you might have problems getting OFF the ship with it.

On the Ecstasy this past February the cabin across the hall from our smelled like pot virtually every evening.

When we arrived in Galveston at the end of our voyage the first folks aboard were the cops... and the dogs. They took the occupants of that cabin off the ship in handcuffs. I guess that's one way to get VIP debark...

It's not just because it's on Carnival's prohibited list... it's illegal... it's a violation of federal law and if caught she will be arrested. Please tell her not to do it.

I agree that someone who is currently taking chemo treatments should ask her doctor if taking a cruise while on chemo is a good idea. Personally (and speaking as a breast cancer survivor) I would never take a cruise while on chemo. Too many folks in a confined space= plenty of germs. I would wait to go on a cruise when my treatments were over and I was feeling a lot better. JMHO

This is really a decision that she and her doctor should make. Best of luck to her!

Thats untrue the only people who get arrested on the boat are those who are smuggling it back into the USA. These are large quantities that are being bought(often Mexico, Jamacia) to resell, not for personal use. Getting a small amount onboard is not an issue, nobody does body scans.

NO police are going to meet a boat becasue someone smoked a joint on the ship unless they have a huge amount. I would also only bring the small amount she or he will need for the cruise. It is illegal and you can get caught, but they aren't looking for the causal smoker they want the dealers. I haven't seen them getting off after, and once we had someone on house arrest but that was RCCL but they had a few pounds in there from they picked up in Jamacia.

Again I would suggest they check out the Pills or Candy formats, why take a risk?

As others say - it is a banned item on Carnival even if it is prescribed. If she is that close to having Chemo than I would suggest not sailing as there are so many more issues at risk. It is a federal crime and you have to follow the rule of where you are no matter what. We are legal here in Ontario to drink at 19 but cannot on the ship until 21 - their rules not ours.

Thats untrue the only people who get arrested on the boat are those who are smuggling it back into the USA. These are large quantities that are being bought(often Mexico, Jamacia) to resell, not for personal use. Getting a small amount onboard is not an issue, nobody does body scans. NO police are going to meet a boat becasue someone smoked a joint on the ship unless they have a huge amount.

Just my $.02 but I'd NEVER encourage anyone to bring an illegal substance on a ship. I find that rather reckless.

I've seen far too many people arrested for using the stuff they bought in port. Some spent the remainder of their voyage in the brig.

This is REALLY bad advice.

Thats untrue the only people who get arrested on the boat are those who are smuggling it back into the USA. These are large quantities that are being bought(often Mexico, Jamacia) to resell, not for personal use. Getting a small amount onboard is not an issue, nobody does body scans.

NO police are going to meet a boat becasue someone smoked a joint on the ship unless they have a huge amount. I would also only bring the small amount she or he will need for the cruise. It is illegal and you can get caught, but they aren't looking for the causal smoker they want the dealers. I haven't seen them getting off after, and once we had someone on house arrest but that was RCCL but they had a few pounds in there from they picked up in Jamacia.

Again I would suggest they check out the Pills or Candy formats, why take a risk?

A small amount when boarding is not an issue (those are not drug dogs, they're bomb dogs), just don't try to bring it back into the country. Another consideration is the destinations, some are more diligent than others.

Have not heard of the pills or candy before, but did see an article about foods cooked with pot for sale - pretty expensive stuff.

Archived