Snorkeling....Blind w/out my glasses!

oratheeexplorer

We have never snorkeled before......we both have prescription glasses, in fact, biofocals......and are wondering if we would actually be able to see much if we went snorkeling......I've heard that the mask magnifies things.....any comments?

It should be better than above water but they also have masks that are like prescription eye glasses.

Yes, the water magnifies it to some degree. That said, another poster, said corrective glasses will give you a far better experience. I am a scuba diver and there is nothing worse than an ill fitting mask, so I am fanatical about having a mask that fits. So, I truly recommend visiting a local scuba shop, and getting a mask that fits your face. To fit a mask, you don't just put it on your head. You put it on your face without the strap around your head. Then you breathe in through your nose. A good fitting mask will stay on your face if you hold your inhalation and you can even tip your face forward. If the mask falls off, and you didn't breathe out through your nose the mask is not a good fit. So, try on several and then the scuba shop will send the mask out for prescriptive lenses. I bought one for my wife about 10 years ago for about $75. You can probably find one for less. I know it is not cheap, but it will help you experience the wonder of the ocean.

jc

Two choices that I can see if you really want to snorkel and see how beautiful it is under the water. Purchase a pair or two of contacts that you can wear to snorkel, or a perscription snorkeling mask. You don't necessarily need the bifocal part of the glasses, but you will need the distance RX.

I have worn glasses for years, and can't wear contacts, so I finally purchased an RX mask some years ago. WOW, I was really missing a lot all of those years of snorkeling and not being able to see much. I didn't find the mask magnified much until I got the RX one, now it's wonderful.

We bought a optic lense mask at National sports in Fort Lauderdale before our last cruise for about $30.00 a couple of years ago and it works fine for my myopic eyes! I know it is not professional quality but you may want to give it a try before you invest too much money. It works for me for our annual vacations.

Yes, the water magnifies it to some degree. That said, another poster, said corrective glasses will give you a far better experience. I am a scuba diver and there is nothing worse than an ill fitting mask, so I am fanatical about having a mask that fits. So, I truly recommend visiting a local scuba shop, and getting a mask that fits your face. To fit a mask, you don't just put it on your head. You put it on your face without the strap around your head. Then you breathe in through your nose. A good fitting mask will stay on your face if you hold your inhalation and you can even tip your face forward. If the mask falls off, and you didn't breathe out through your nose the mask is not a good fit. So, try on several and then the scuba shop will send the mask out for prescriptive lenses. I bought one for my wife about 10 years ago for about $75. You can probably find one for less. I know it is not cheap, but it will help you experience the wonder of the ocean.

jc

If anyone has a mustache it's another reason to go to a dive shop to get a good fit. And it's pretty much standard now, but a snorkel that diverts water from your mouth is also desireable.

It sounds stupid but there were snorkeling shore excursion in French Polynesia that didn't include fins...mask & snorkel only...so don't assume anything.

Where are you going to snorkel? My dad was 75 before in Maui he got the courage to try snorkeling (a non-swimmer who nearly drowned as a kid) & he enjoyed it tremendously..."this is much better than an aquarium!!!"

Hope you have a great experience...I snorkeled 20 years before getting scuba certified & wished I had done it 20 years earlier...an awesome experience.

There's another trick you can do, kind of works, looks stupid as heck, but is basically free.

When I got my new glasses, the prescription hadn't changed much, so I took the arms off the frames, looped a little wire through the screw holes and soldered it, then clipped on a very thin tensile band. It's small enough and rubber not to break the seal of the mask, much, and I can see.

This was an emergency rig, if budget allows I'd go the prescription mask route. I'll be ordering one before next cruise if we decide to snorkel.

If anyone has a mustache it's another reason to go to a dive shop to get a good fit. And it's pretty much standard now, but a snorkel that diverts water from your mouth is also desireable.

It sounds stupid but there were snorkeling shore excursion in French Polynesia that didn't include fins...mask & snorkel only...so don't assume anything.

Where are you going to snorkel? My dad was 75 before in Maui he got the courage to try snorkeling (a non-swimmer who nearly drowned as a kid) & he enjoyed it tremendously..."this is much better than an aquarium!!!"

Hope you have a great experience...I snorkeled 20 years before getting scuba certified & wished I had done it 20 years earlier...an awesome experience.

I had a mustache when I took up diving, by the time I did my open water I was clean shaven. My dive buddy hung on with his beard for about another year. He looked 10 years younger when he chopped it off.:D

jc

We have never snorkeled before......we both have prescription glasses, in fact, biofocals......and are wondering if we would actually be able to see much if we went snorkeling......I've heard that the mask magnifies things.....any comments?

I'm blind as a bat and have used both a prescription mask and disposable contact lenses.

I like the contact lenses better because I can still see when I take the mask off -- handy when getting out of the water and trying to find my way back to beach towel (not to mention finding my way to the water to begin with)! :D

Wow.....lots of replies.....thank you all!

Unfortunately, I can't wear contacts........and the expensive goggles are out of the question, as this will be our first time snorkeling.......

We are going to do a snorkeling excursion at Grand Cayman that takes us to Cali shipwreck and a reef.....they say that is a good place to start.....

How much do the prescription masks cost? How do you know what prescription you need?

If you live near a large city or the ocean, you can probably find a shop with glasses that are like a diopter reading glasses with varying degrees of magnification. I imagine they are cheaper than full prescription glasses. Your prescription is what your regular glasses are for distance. You don't want biopticals. That said, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. You are spending a lot of money to get to Grand Cayman... it would be a shame to be blind swimming with the beautiful fishes. By the way, my first ocean dive was at Grand Cayman... lovely place.

jc

Unfortunately, I can't wear contacts........and the expensive goggles are out of the question, as this will be our first time snorkeling.......

We are going to do a snorkeling excursion at Grand Cayman that takes us to Cali shipwreck and a reef.....they say that is a good place to start.....

How much do the prescription masks cost? How do you know what prescription you need?

You don't need to buy prescription masks (esp. if it's your first time snorkeling and you don't know how you'll like it). Rental places will have a limited supply of corrective lens masks. They might not be exactly the correct strength, but try several on and get the ones that give you the best vision.

I was also blind as a bat until I got lasik eye surgery. If you've ever thought of it, it's totally worth it! (if you qualify for it that is). Scarry to think of at first but the best thing I've ever done in my life now that it's done!! :) It's soooo awsome to go swimming and be able to see everything. And also nice to get up at night without stubbing my toes too! LOL.

Body Glove makes a great corretive mask that's cheaper than standard prescription masks. They come in only three strengths, which sounds like they shouldn't work, but they do....at least for me. If you're at all myopic, being underwater (which is what magnifies that, not the mask) won't sufficiently correct for that. Most scuba places do have corrective masks for rent (tho never strong enough for me), and snorkeling gear pplaces may, too.

Body Glove makes a great corretive mask that's cheaper than standard prescription masks. They come in only three strengths, which sounds like they shouldn't work, but they do....at least for me. If you're at all myopic, being underwater (which is what magnifies that, not the mask) won't sufficiently correct for that. Most scuba places do have corrective masks for rent (tho never strong enough for me), and snorkeling gear pplaces may, too.

Thanks, is that something I can find on the internet? We are in Illinois, so I probably wouldn't be able to find any stores around here with any of this stuff!

You don't need to buy prescription masks (esp. if it's your first time snorkeling and you don't know how you'll like it). Rental places will have a limited supply of corrective lens masks. They might not be exactly the correct strength, but try several on and get the ones that give you the best vision.

We are going on a snorkel excursion through the cruise line.....do you think they would have any corrective lens masks to use?

We are going on a snorkel excursion through the cruise line.....do you think they would have any corrective lens masks to use?

You'd probably need to find out what company they are using for the excursion and ask them directly. In all likelihood they do have them, but whether they'd have them along for the excursion is another question.

If you have time, you might try to rent before the excursion on your own in Grand Cayman. That way, you can try the masks out first in the shop. Here's a place that rents right near the cruise ship tender dock: --> Eden Rock Diving Center .

Their snorkel set with corrective mask is $18. Tripadvisor reviews for Eden Rock Diving --> here.

You'd probably need to find out what company they are using for the excursion and ask them directly. In all likelihood they do have them, but whether they'd have them along for the excursion is another question.

If you have time, you might try to rent before the excursion on your own in Grand Cayman. That way, you can try the masks out first in the shop. Here's a place that rents right near the cruise ship tender dock: --> Eden Rock Diving Center .

Their snorkel set with corrective mask is $18. Tripadvisor reviews for Eden Rock Diving --> here.

Thank you!

Have been doing research on this lately. Lots of good advice already given.

You can find many online companies that sell relatively inexpensive semi-custom RX masks, just google prescription scuba mask. You order whatever you need for the left and the right eye, doesn't have to be the same). I haven't seen anything over -8.0 diopters. That will cover most folks, but I'm waaaaay over that (-13.50). Might try the idea above of adapting an old pair of glasses.

Have heard that the correction can be about 2.0 diopters less then your Rx due to water refraction. Can any experienced scuba/snorkelers speak to this????

Thanks,

Sara

Check out 101snorkel dot com for prescription goggles. We ordered some vests as well as prescription goggles for my husband. We have also taken excursions through the cruise lines and no prescription goggles were provided.

I have a similar problem, I finally broke down and got a trial pair of soft contacts. I was shocked at how easy they were to use and how comfortable. The prescription masks are another option and they make little "bifocal" type inserts they can add. The soft contacts would be a cheaper way to go and then if you like snorkeling you can buy your own mask and have prescription lenses added.

I have a similar problem, I finally broke down and got a trial pair of soft contacts. I was shocked at how easy they were to use and how comfortable.

Yes. For those who tried contacts years ago and think they can't wear contacts, it might be time to try the newer, soft disposable ones. They've come a long way re comfort and fit and not nearly as expensive as they once were. Maybe Like Flying Pirate, get a trial batch.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband replaced the lenses on his mask many years ago with prescription ones.

They sell them at all specialty stores for scuba/snorkling you choose the lense that is closest to your prescription and it works like a charm.:)

Archived