RomeinLimo itinerary Rome/Florence

Lvtocruize2

I would love some advice please. We are taking a Med. cruise in May 2011. We are planning on private tours in Rome and Florence but never having been there, what are the "MUST SEES" in each city? Has anyone use RomeinLimo and what was your impression? I feel so inadequate because I don't know enough about each city to communicate intelligently about this two cities. We will be in each city 1 day. What would you advise for highlights in each city?...

I did order the Rick Steve's books on Italy and Venice but have not had time to scan either one.

Any help would be appreciated and if you have other tour companies to suggest, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks

[i was unable to use this advice last year, due to the pod problem]

From my well-traveled Uncle Dick:

At a Christmas party last night I was speaking with a friend that I had recommended the tour guide in Rome and he used him for three days and could not have been more laudatory. His name is Dave Dobbs.. My group of five was in Rome and used this guide for one full day on June 4, 2006. The guide's name is (Mimmo) Domenico Del Vecchio. He may have email by now, but far as I know he needs to be contacted by fax or telephone. His fax number is 011 (39) 0690 50 448. I have his phone number as 011 (39) 3485 12 0440. Many of Mimmo's clientele are from the Denver area, as he is well-known to some very influential people here. He picked us up at our hotel at 9 am and we kept him all day until around 5 pm and did not regret a minute of his time. In 2006 he charged us 65 euros an hour...don't know what it may be today. His English is impecable (he flew the Goodyear blimp for ten years!)

I would highly recommend that you fax Mimmo with the date(s) you will be in Rome and see if he would be available. There is so much to see in Roma, a professional guide is imperative and Mimmo comes with the highest credentials....and, he drove us around in a Mercedes van...very comfortable. He also will choose a very nice restaurant for lunch if you like.

Amy tells me the ship's party was spectacular! Wish I could have been there.

Lotsa,

Dick

We used RomeinLimo for our transfer from the port to Rome and also for a Vatican tour this year.

They are very good at communicating ahead of time and getting everything set up properly. We had several last minute changes that were taken care of without any problem. Driver was there right on time and very efficient at maneuvering Rome traffic.

Tour guide for Vatican was just OK, not great. We had to rush through the last part in St. Peters as they were closing it for some special service.

We used Rome In Limo last summer in Rome for my sons, daughters-in-law and one grandchild. ( We stayed onboard to babysit the other grandchild.) I set up all the arrangements months in advance and they were very accomodating to whatever we wanted to do. Since they had never been to Rome before, RIL was very good at offering the sights most first time visitors want to see. They thought the service and guide were great. Their Vatican guide (RIL makes arrangements for them but does not employ them) even geared her presentation to our granddaughter.

DH and I are going back to Rome in a few months and we are planning to use them again for transfers and tours. Hope you have a great trip.

We just used RomeinLimo last month for a private tour in Rome. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Our driver, Nicola, was so knowledgeable and entertaining--worth every euro!! I wish we had used them in Florence. We did Florence on your Own offered through Regent-- had made reservations at Academia at noon and barely made it. Even with our Rick Steves book, we seemed to be lost at every turn. Also, Florence was VERY crowded--felt like a busy day at Disneyland.

We used RomeinLimo in Florence and Rome last summer--party of four including my 20 year old son and his girlfriend. Both experiences were highlights of our trip. The guides (Francesco in Florence; Lucca in Rome) were extremely knowledgeable, professional, flexible and really fun. I would not hesitate to book them again. Ask for a discount for booking in more than one city.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Romeinlimo during our trip. Vincente was our driver. He could not have been more accomodating. He was charming, well informed, well educated and funny, funny, funny. We adored him, including our then, teen son. We were specific in not wanting the Vatican, or museums. He totatally understood and took us out for a day we all still remember. We asked to eat in a locals restaurant. He knew just what we wanted. Felt like we were in The Godfather. Food was amazing and the lemoncello . . . . . We will use no other than Romeinlimo if we are lucky enought to return.

Archived