Captain of Caribbean Princess

unboringuy

We're sailing aboard the CP on 2/26/05, and I'm curious about who the Captain is. I heard that "Crash" Nash was the Captain, and I believe he had an unfortunate incident while skipper of the Diamond. Can anybody tell me who the Captain is, and perhaps more about this "incident?" Thanks.

Unfortunatley, it has been more than once incident. I was on the Diamond for the May 2004 incident that caused him to be demoted to staff captain for awhile. It really wasn't much. We had to dock in Victoria under high winds because there were three very ill passengers. (We would have skipped the port due to the winds if there hadn't been ill passengers.) There were tug boats holding the ship in place and despite that the wind still pushed it into the dock. I was standing directly above the impact point and felt only a slight bump. Prior to that I understand there was a similar incident with the Royal. When I was on the Diamond again in September, he was the staff captain. The Victoria incident has been greatly exagerated. Passengers from one on the Holland America ship in port were even reporting there were fatalities!

Captain Nash really took the fall for this one. I really think it is unfair to perpetuate the bad reputation since A) we don't know all the circumstances and B) I doubt any of us know the first thing about handling a vessel of that size. You do not get to the position of command of a ship without having a wealth of experience and good recommendations.

Captain Romano is awesome, we were able to have dinner with him and he let us up on the Bridge when leaving St Maarten and even allowed us to blow the whistles. He is very approachable, always smiling an using you can get him to tell you a joke. We have seen him cruising the disco at 11:30 at night just to make sure everyone is having a great time....

You will enjoy him....

Deb

Thank you for putting the Victoria incident into better perspective. From some of the stories I've read on here I assumed it was much worse.

Other than that incident he gets pretty high praises from 99% of the passengers that come into contact with him. Captain Nash sounds like a cool guy!

Captain Nash really took the fall for this one. I really think it is unfair to perpetuate the bad reputation since A) we don't know all the circumstances and B) I doubt any of us know the first thing about handling a vessel of that size. You do not get to the position of command of a ship without having a wealth of experience and good recommendations.

I know nothing about Captain Nash, or his experience. But I suspect the same was said about Captain Smith (as he piloted the maiden voyage of the Titanic, in what was to be his last sailing prior to retirement).

I'm sure they were. Unfortunately, Captain Smith bowed to his owner's pressure to set a record and took unnecessary risks. Captain Nash, on the other hand, took a calculated risk out of necessity AND took steps to make the docking as safe as possible. Two different situations entirely.

Capt. Romano is wonderful! We had him on the Sun Princess in 1998, then on the Grand Princess in 2002. We were supposed to have him on the Caribbean Princess last Sept-18-25,but he was pulled off-two hurricanes that month. I suspect he needed a rest after Hurricane Frances. We had Capt.Nicolo Bommarco for our cruise. I do hope we have Capt. Romano back in Oct. when we go on our Caribbean Princess cruise. Lynne

We just returned from Caribbean Princess and Captain Nash was wonderful - it's a shame you will just miss him. He has a great sense of humour, is friendly and very approachable. At the Captain's Cocktail party he amused us all by telling how he came aboard to find a handbook on the bridge for his use. The three key points were 1: the ship uses diesel not gas, 2: the ship's service stop is every 25,000 miles and 3: port is left and starboard is right!! The three departures were the smoothest I have ever seen and best of all, he blew the ships horn in all the ports - even Princess Cays - that sound makes the hairs on the back of my neck standup!

Coral - yes, Captain Nash is the Relief Captain for the ship, the Senior Captain being Giuseppe Romano. He also serves as Captain of the Diamond whne Captain Warner goes on leave.

Andy.

Cricket,

Thanks for some clarification of the Victoria incident. We were on the Diamond the week after the incident and my peeve is not with Captain Nash as much as it is with Princess and the way they handled the incident. We were among the over 2000 who spent the day in Seattle Center the day the ship was to leave. Princess provided nothing much for our comfort, and information was practically nonexistent. Unfortunately, we did not see the cool, genial captain that some of you saw. As a matter of fact, we never even saw the captain. As far as I know, no one did. He made himself scarce for the entire cruise.

How do you know that a new captain will be there on the 26th? I am sailing in April..where do you find that information?

thx

He told us when we sailed with him in December but your TA has access to that information too.

Archived