Spas: QM2 vs. QV

Ballater

I have enjoyed the Canyon Ranch Spa about a dozen times on the QM2. The massages and facials are great; the relaxation room is amazing; the women's locker room is excellent; the therapeutic pool is not to be missed; and the staff has always been professional, courteous, punctual, and helpful. The spa has always been a highlight of my trips.

Last October, I was on the QV and found the spa experience to be very unsatisfactory. The massage was so-so; there was no relaxation room; there was no locker room (had to change in the treatment room and hang my clothes on a hook behind the door); there was no robe available and no shower facility. I was, quite frankly, shocked.

I'll be sailing on the QV in two weeks. Has anyone used the spa on the QV lately? I'm wondering if what I experienced last year was simply growing pains. The hydro-pool wasn't yet open; perhaps other facilities were unfinished. Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

It was open, and in use, on the maiden voyage. Dec 2007.

Colin

In October 2009 it was not open. My husband just mentioned that it was "out of service," and I assumed that that meant it hadn't yet opened. Sorry for the confusion.

When we were on the QV in 2008 the therapy pool was operational, and I remember there being a relaxation room and changing rooms, all on deck 9. I have a vague recollection that there may have been a couple of therapy rooms on deck 10 on the port side, maybe if these rooms are used people change in the rooms rather than they general changing area downstairs. I may be completely wrong however, it was a particularly Martiniful trip.

I used the QV spa in June this year. I had a back massage which was totally spoiled by the therapist spending the entire time telling me how the could help me to lose weight (I am very 'cuddly') by sticking my feet in a bowl of mud for some astronomical fee or by attaching myself to her machine that would tell me how fat I am, (also for an astronomical fee). This was NOT relaxing - I know how fat I am and putting my feet in expensive mud ain't gonna fix it!!

I was not given a gown at all and had to change in the room. There was a relaxing room but I was still being given the hard sell (she even got her booking sheet out to tell me when I could be plugged in), so not relaxing! I virtually ran out to escape in the end!

I have been in the spa before (not for a treatment) and have used the hydrotherapy pool. It is quite small and if the two big jets are going (most of the time we were in there), there is little space for anything else. My husband enjoyed using the sprays but I am not so keen on them. There is also a suana in the changing rooms (single sex) and there is a room with some lovely relaxing heated beds to lie on and look out at the sea (my favourite bit) and also a couple of steam rooms. There are also steamer chairs (though these were all 'bagged' as usual) and bowls of fruit available. We were given gowns to go into this area.

We enjoyed the spa area but found it a bit limited. I will never go back for another treatment.

Sarah

I arranged for a deep-tissue massage on the QV last year. BIG MISTAKE and BIG WASTE OF MONEY!!! Nothing like the QM2 spa.

I found changing in the treatment room strange -- no robe, no opportunity to take a shower afterward, etc. The massage therapist first wanted to do an interview-like "health profile" on me. Then the massage abruptly stopped 10 minutes ahead of time (40 minutes into a 50-minute massage) so I could get dressed. It was the most amateurish massage I've ever had. I compained to the spa office, and they refunded 20% of the price. I should have demanded a complete refund.

Unless things have changed dramatically, I doubt I'll be patronizing the spa on my QV cruise next month.

BIG MISTAKE and BIG WASTE OF MONEY!!!

That doesn't surprise me :( I had hoped that poor spa treatments were a thing of the past when QE2 retired.

Nothing like the QM2 spa.

That DOES surpries me :eek: That Cunard are actually managing to provide a spa that is providing good vale for money!

This is so unfortunate. Canyon Ranch has done such a nice job on QM2. Who is running the spas on QE and QV?

The experiences described on these postings sounds sadly similar to some I have had on Holland America, whose spas seem to mostly or all be run by Elemis. The staff is clearly training to pitch the products hard (as well as add on treatments), and seems entirely insensitive to client's needs and point of view (and vulnerability if in the midst of a treatment). It seems as if the add ons are the focus and getting you into the treatment room just the "hook". The staff must get a good % back on their sales, since they are very competitive with each other for credit for the sales, and very agressive. Is Elemis involved by any chance in either QV or QE spas?

I hope those of you who have had poor experiences will indeed complain to Cunard. One would hope they would care -- and, over time they will, especially if there are many complaints and a drop off in return business. What a shame.:(

Archived