Memory Card Question

NMCruzzin

I have an 8 GB SDHC Memory card by Toshiba, on my Nikon D90.

I took about 400 pictures of an outdoor photoshoot today, about 50-100 of them will not load and the error is that the file is 'corruptable and unreadable"....:eek::eek:

So I took the same card and downloaded on my laptop...same thing!!:mad::mad::mad:

Is this the memory card issue?? Is it the HC ...High Compression!?!

What is going on? Has anyone had any problems like this?

Thanks so much for any help - or trouble shooting tips!

I have an 8 GB SDHC Memory card by Toshiba, on my Nikon D90.

I took about 400 pictures of an outdoor photoshoot today, about 50-100 of them will not load and the error is that the file is 'corruptable and unreadable"....:eek::eek:

So I took the same card and downloaded on my laptop...same thing!!:mad::mad::mad:

Is this the memory card issue?? Is it the HC ...High Compression!?!

What is going on? Has anyone had any problems like this?

Thanks so much for any help - or trouble shooting tips!

THe "HC" in SDHC stands for "High Capacity". The SD specification only allowed for cards up to 2GB. SDHC expanded that to 32GB. The latest spec is SDXC (eXtended Capacity) which allows for future cards up to 2TB.

Your problem sounds like a file corruption. Whether caused by card failure or simple corruption from removing the card while the camera was still writing can't be determined without low-level formatting which will destroy your images. I would suggest that you pick up a new SanDisk Extreme SDHC card to replace your questionable one and use the free RescuePro image recovery software that comes with it to try to pull the lost pictures off of your Toshiba card.

After the images are recovered, format the Toshiba card using RescuePro's low-level format utility to completely wipe the card and locate any bad sectors.

Dave

I think the post above gave you the right advice. I personally don't like dealing with corrupt cards at all and stop using them at the first sign of a corrupt file. I don't want to get home and realize that my photos are not there. I prefer to pay the $40 or whatever than try formatting and what not.

That said I buy sandisk and they are usually a bit more expensive but very reliable.

Thanks so much for the comments!

Dave... I have a San Disk that I shot with last night...so tonight I will check and see what I've got!

**What is weird........I open up my pictures with Office Picture Manager...they are all there! !?!

It's a glitch somewhere.... card, Camera or computer....just need to figure out which one!:rolleyes:

Thanks again! I knew that there would be some good info here! :)

Thanks so much for the comments!

Dave... I have a San Disk that I shot with last night...so tonight I will check and see what I've got!

**What is weird........I open up my pictures with Office Picture Manager...they are all there! !?!

It's a glitch somewhere.... card, Camera or computer....just need to figure out which one!:rolleyes:

Thanks again! I knew that there would be some good info here! :)

The standard SanDisk cards (Ultra II and below) don't include the software. With the Extreme cards, you used to get a mini-CD with RescuePro on it but now you get a coupon for a free download. If you have an Extreme or Extreme III you would have gotten a disc or coupon in the package.

If you can see them with one program and not another, you may only have one or a partially corrupted file (as mentioned above, turning off the camera or ejecting the card before the buffer has written to the card can corrupt a file or an entire card). Some programs handle file errors better than others and will read past an error that might cause another program to list anything past the error as corrupt.

Dave

Thanks Everyone!

It was about 5 hours after I had turned my camera off...that I then took my card out and downloaded onto my computer.

I'm not sure how to reformat on the computer...only takes seconds on the camera and that's how I reformat.

I'll be picking up a new card today or tomorrow...I'll get one that hopefully has the recovery info!

Thanks Everyone!

I'm not sure how to reformat on the computer...only takes seconds on the camera and that's how I reformat.

That is what you should do. By the way, just to keep it clean, I reformat my cards every time after I have transferred the pictures to the computer.

DON

That is what you should do. By the way, just to keep it clean, I reformat my cards every time after I have transferred the pictures to the computer.

DON

A loud second on that. Even when I have Picasa clear the card after transferring, I format the card when I put it back in the camera.

Dave

Yes! Reformatting my card after down loading for the next event is also my routine. :)

San Disk Rescue is now a 40.00 per year subscription electronically.

hhtp://www.LC-Tech.com/Ultra

In all of the years, with all of my cameras....this last month is the first time I've had with the card issues!! I feel like I've tried to be a good student to those that are willing to teach good camera practices.....and that's why I came here with my questions! ;)

Archived