Dunns River Falls

picture

It can get very, very crowded there. We had a private driver, and tried to get there early to avoid the crowds. Didn't succeed, but that was probably due to other ships who disembarked earlier that we did.

Since so many are there, bottlenecks appear quite frequently.

I was near the tail end of our line. I was truely 1 foot behind my daughter, waiting till she climbed up a steep spot, so I could start. I felt a hugh shove between my shoulder blades. I almost fell, but was able to maintain my balance. When I looked back, it had been from a tour guide of a competing "line". Perhaps he didn't think my line of 20+ was moving fast enough, but I had no control over that.

The guides are independant, so there was nobody I could complain to. I'm just glad I did not fall and get hurt.

I'm sure there are rivalries between competing guides - I think I was unlucky enough to land in the middle of a situation like that.

For single females with daughters - try not to be at the tail end of a line. If my husband had been there, things would have ended very differently.

When I was there in August, I noticed that the parents with the smallest kids were with the guide at the front of the line. So chances are good that you would be in the front of the line so the guide will assist you. Believe me, they want to keep the line moving smoothly.:)

For older kids and teens, and young physically healthy adults, it will be an easy climb. For anyone else, as long as you have no physical problems (weak knees, ankles, back) and can manage stairs with no difficulty, it should be fairly easy. Basically, it's a climb through water-covered rocks and crevices, so you can't always see what's under your feet. So, yes, proceed with caution, and have fun!:)

My husband and I were just there over two weeks ago. I am almost 45 and he is 47...we had no problem at all climbing the falls. We both wore old tennis shoes and threw them away when we were done. We started out holding hands with others like the guide suggested but it was easier for us not to be holding onto someone else...so we didn't. There was an extra guide that tagged along with our group all the way up and he helped me up big steps a couple of times and told me where to step or not step a time or two...tipped him at the end for sure! It was a great experience and really wasn't nearly as physically demanding as what ppl on the boards led me to believe.

Take a waterproof camera...the guides will take pics of you with it at a couple of spots! Have fun!:D:D

So glad I read this thread! We are traveling with a group of 10 in a few weeks, and everyone but my boyfriend and I chickened out on this excursion (and subtly tried to discourage us :p) Then I read some posts about people falling on the climb and it being dangerous. But since I saw that there is no "minimum age requirement," and how much fun everyone has, Im excited for the experience!

Our ship Will be in Ocho Rios, Jamaica on Feb 2nd, only ship in town that day, so the crowds could be smaller @ Dunn's River Park. I know I can get a taxi to the park from the port, but are there taxis at the park for return to the ship?

Also, my Wife will not climb the falls, is there a pool or beach for her to wait for me to return from the climb? How long does it take to do the climb?

Thanks for any assistance,

Paul

I'm not sure of the answer to the taxi question, but I do know that your wife can watch you climb from the landings that run alongside the falls. If she has no physical disability, she can walk to the bottom of the falls to the beach and then meet you back at the top. My husband did not climb either, but watched from the side, took photos, and even joined us at the third "escape", where climbers can stop for photos and play in the water, and a great place for your guide to take a family picture.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_VNsbMT9C_yE/TGNIwMPnpOI/AAAAAAAAHow/e7Bzy9T2Aws/s288/Jamaica8.jpg

your taxi will be a round trip arrangement. They give you their planned pickup time based on what they know to be the typical time for one climb plus a little more. Then they will drop you back at the ship or in the nearby shopping area, your choice. I wanted more time and we quickly negotiated that....

Did this last May . . .

When I went with my little one (goodness 5 years ago!) I wore the three month old in a baby Bjorn and climbed the stairs with my 20 month old, while my five year old was put between two teenagers of my friend who went with us. He had a BLAST! The guides helped my almost two year od go in at one of the exits for some awesome photos!!!

I am trying to remember, but I thought one of the guides offered to take everyone's stuff that wasn't waterproof and meet us at the top with it. Am I correct?

For those who didn't use the cruise ship tours, how do I reach the independent guys and any ideas on their costs? There with be 8 of us.

Thanks! My boys don't remember the trip 5 years ago and this is the excursion I am most looking forward to!:)

When I went with my little one (goodness 5 years ago!) I wore the three month old in a baby Bjorn and climbed the stairs with my 20 month old, while my five year old was put between two teenagers of my friend who went with us. He had a BLAST! The guides helped my almost two year od go in at one of the exits for some awesome photos!!!

I am trying to remember, but I thought one of the guides offered to take everyone's stuff that wasn't waterproof and meet us at the top with it. Am I correct?

For those who didn't use the cruise ship tours, how do I reach the independent guys and any ideas on their costs? There with be 8 of us.

Thanks! My boys don't remember the trip 5 years ago and this is the excursion I am most looking forward to!:)

We've used Peat Taylor a few times. He has a webstie where you can book it, he responds pretty quick. We are also on the same cruise! DS will be just shy of his 4th Birthday and we decided not to try the falls. We are booked with Peat for the river tubing and Blue Hole.

http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

• 2 weeks later...
We've used Peat Taylor a few times. He has a webstie where you can book it, he responds pretty quick. We are also on the same cruise! DS will be just shy of his 4th Birthday and we decided not to try the falls. We are booked with Peat for the river tubing and Blue Hole.

http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

How did you like the Blue Hole and river tubing? We are reserved on that excursion in April. It looks like Peat changed to a different "Blue Hole". We aren't as excited about the falls. We live in western NC and can climb falls here...

What is the cost now for DRF? do they still have those old lockers?

We were there in October and paid $15 each to get into the falls. They had old wooden locker for $8 but they gave us some of it back when we turned the lock back in...I think $3 back but not completely sure. It was beautiful and not too terribly busy when we were there! :)

• 2 weeks later...

One slip is all it takes..we had a lady with her leg in a cast after her climb. I wouldn't chance a 6 year old, but I've seen tons of kids that age on the falls. It's slippery and when it's crowded, some of the guides and the other climbers are pushy if you are taking your time to be safe.

Archived