Dunns River Falls

picture

need confirmation????

you can skip the climb, but use one of these to enter a pool area for pictures and lie to the rel'tives

THAT'S what I wanted to know!! Kinda nervous that my youngest son and I (the "not-so-graceful" ones of the family :rolleyes:) would NOT do well on the climb, but I still want to be "in" the falls at least some.

THANKS for the info!

I won't lie - it was a difficult climb for me because of my bad knees. Fortunately, the guide put me in the front of the line, where he could help pull me up over the rough spots. I had no problem leaving at the second escape exit, where I realized I'd had enough. My husband met me there (he didn't climb), and the guide took photos of us in the "pool" before I left. By the way, behind me were a mom and her young daughter, who were also having a little difficulty, but were able to manage the climb. I noticed they put the young and out of shape folks toward the front behind the guide, which is probably a good thing.:)

I'll be honest, the thought of this climb makes me nervous. Is it a tough physical climb? We are debating about taking our kids (ages 11 & 8.5) off the boat for this stop. All I need is a broken leg to contend with on this trip! LOL! :D

I'll be honest, the thought of this climb makes me nervous. Is it a tough physical climb? We are debating about taking our kids (ages 11 & 8.5) off the boat for this stop. All I need is a broken leg to contend with on this trip! LOL! :D

take the kids with ou...they will love it...we took are dd and ddf with us in 2005...both girls were 10...they had a ball climbing the falls....thte guides help teh little kids...they tooo don't wnat anyone getting hurt...if people start to get hurt..they will lose business....for many of these guides..tips are there only income...have a great time and dont stress...everything will be IRIE....YEAH MON>>

Angela

I've seen pictures of people climbing to the top and heard there are stairs on the sides??? so can you start out climbing the falls and then switch

to the stairs if it is too slippery?

Yes, as the others have said you can bail out in several spots. Having climbed the falls many times starting back in the 1960's up until a couple of years ago IMHO they have made it more difficult by making you hold hands and go up in a line behind the guide. You don't have your hands free to hold on. The last time we climbed took our kids. They loved it but my DH ended up next to last and had to literally drag a 300 pound woman up the falls. She nearly tore his arm out of the socket holding on. In the old days they let you scamper up without a guide. Back then there were no stairs alongside. Once you started up you were committed. I am glad I did it in the past because there is no more climbing in my future due to a back injury.

Kimbere, I wouldn't be unduly nervous about going up DRF. If you have kids aged 11 and 8.5, you are MUCH younger than I am and I had no difficulty going up the Falls. (And your kids will have a BLAST!) I found having the guides and having everyone holds hands to be a good idea. The guide will take you up the easiest route and sometimes that means walking on the left and sometimes that means walking on the right. If I had been doing this without a guide, I'm sure I would have made it a lot more difficult (and dangerous) for myself. Also, holding hands means that you have a "helping hand" when you need it and I think it made our group of strangers a lot friendlier. I think one of the most important things about climbing the falls is to have the right footwear. I know that some folks do it in old tennis shoes or sandals, but I think the best footwear is water shoes. You'll get the best traction on the slippery rocks with water shoes and they won't "bog" you down since they are so lightweight. If you don't own any water shoes, they are an excellent investment of $10 or so at Target, etc.

For older kids and teens, and young physically healthy adults, it will be an easy climb. For anyone else, as long as you have no physical problems (weak knees, ankles, back) and can manage stairs with no difficulty, it should be fairly easy. Basically, it's a climb through water-covered rocks and crevices, so you can't always see what's under your feet. So, yes, proceed with caution, and have fun!:)

Having climbed the falls many times starting back in the 1960's up until a couple of years ago IMHO they have made it more difficult by making you hold hands and go up in a line behind the guide.

You do NOT have to hold hands ... you do NOT have to use a guide. Is that the way the system is set up to feed you? Yes.

I can't claim a history to the 60's ... just one to the 80's, with MANY visits since then as my patrol route put me there for R&R often, and a visit this past May. In May we ignored the lines and the guides, went to the base of the falls at the beach and climbed on our own to the top - then went back down, and did it again.

Our VAN driver gave us a pickup time he estimated for one tour led climb. I told him WRONG and told him what time I wanted to be picked up. He was there.

DRF is a National Park. "Locals" go there and trust me they don't use guides. Having been there OUTSIDE of the times cruise ship groups are there I've seen the other side of DRF. Since 1980 I've been there many times when there were NO cruise ship - hold hands - pump 'em in and pump 'em out - groups. We'd spend hours and climb up down and sideways

GO UP THE MIDDLE!!!!

drf4.jpg

drf7.jpg

Having climbed the falls many times starting back in the 1960's up until a couple of years ago IMHO they have made it more difficult by making you hold hands and go up in a line behind the guide.

You do NOT have to hold hands ... you do NOT have to use a guide. Is that the way the system is set up to feed you? Yes.

I can't claim a history to the 60's ... just one to the 80's, with MANY visits since then as my patrol route put me there for R&R often, and a visit this past May. In May we ignored the lines and the guides, went to the base of the falls at the beach and climbed on our own to the top - then went back down, and did it again.

Our VAN driver gave us a pickup time he estimated for one tour led climb. I told him WRONG and told him what time I wanted to be picked up. He was there.

DRF is a National Park. "Locals" go there and trust me they don't use guides. Having been there OUTSIDE of the times cruise ship groups are there I've seen the other side of DRF. Since 1980 I've been there many times when there were NO cruise ship - hold hands - pump 'em in and pump 'em out - groups. We'd spend hours and climb up down and sideways

GO UP THE MIDDLE!!!!

drf4.jpg

drf7.jpg

That's all well and good and I congratulate you on your ingenuity.:) However, for the rest of us who may be on our first and last time to Jamaica, and not in the best physical condition, I was perfectly happy to have a helping hand to boost me over those rocks.;)

My husband and I were just there over two weeks ago. I am almost 45 and he is 47...we had no problem at all climbing the falls. We both wore old tennis shoes and threw them away when we were done. We started out holding hands with others like the guide suggested but it was easier for us not to be holding onto someone else...so we didn't. There was an extra guide that tagged along with our group all the way up and he helped me up big steps a couple of times and told me where to step or not step a time or two...tipped him at the end for sure! It was a great experience and really wasn't nearly as physically demanding as what ppl on the boards led me to believe.

Take a waterproof camera...the guides will take pics of you with it at a couple of spots! Have fun!:D:D

I kinda enjoyed the falls, and made it about 4/5ths of the way up. And then it was time to exit stage left.

I had enough, but did enjoy it.

Dont worry about the falls.

Worry about the spiders on the way up if you chose to hug the side of the falls. A guide told me, did not believe him, until he showed me. Spiders - webs and all.

Safe travels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to do DRF while in Jamaica for a week. We chose a day where there would be no cruise ships in port and it paid off. I think the entire group that we climbed the falls with was no more than 20 which made it lots of fun. I have seen videos with hundreds of people at various stages of the falls and we did not have that at all. If you are in Jamaica for a few days and not on a cruise ship, I would highly recommend getting the cruise ship schedule and then going on a day when they are not there. We went on a Sunday afternoon which was perfect. This is a little bit of strenuous climb. I am not in the best shape and in my early 40's but I made it very well compared to what I thought I would do. As others said, you can exit at various points in the climb if needed. As for shoes, definitely water shoes. If you don't have any, buy some here in the states for cheap or you can rent them at the falls. The place where a couple of people in our group rented them was $5 each so not too bad. If you are on a cruise ship, I would try to find a private guide to take you to DRF. My experience with the private guides is that they get you there before the crowds arrive. I have not done this in Ocho Rios but would assume that they would do everything possible to do that for you and then you also have a smaller group rather than waiting for over 100 people to get on a bus from the ship to go on the tour.

Hope this helps and I encourage everybody to do this. We had a blast even though the water was a bit chilly but still lots of fun. Oh by the way, they will try to sell you a video for $40. Since we had a small group, we bought a copy and it turned out to be very good. If you are in a large group going up the falls, I don't think I would waste my money because you will probably get very little exposure on the video.

Happy Climbing,

Bill

• 5 weeks later...

I have been contemplating doing this excursion as well. Would probably try to do it privately to save money as well.

I understand it is somewhat strenuous, but the cruise line lists the minimum age as 2. I recently adopted 6 year old twins, who are developmentally delayed. They probably have about a 3 to 3 1/2 year old mentality. They are active little boys and in good health. So my thinking is if a typical 2 year old is capable, they should be able to do it as well? Does anyone have input on my situation?

I have been contemplating doing this excursion as well. Would probably try to do it privately to save money as well.

I understand it is somewhat strenuous, but the cruise line lists the minimum age as 2. I recently adopted 6 year old twins, who are developmentally delayed. They probably have about a 3 to 3 1/2 year old mentality. They are active little boys and in good health. So my thinking is if a typical 2 year old is capable, they should be able to do it as well? Does anyone have input on my situation?

Me, DH and DD, who is 8, did the climb about 2 weeks ago. Honestly, I'm a little bit shocked that they would allow a 2 year old to go. It really isn't too strenuous of a climb, but I don't think most 2 year olds are "sturdy" enough on their feet to do the climb alone. I think that as long as your kids are physically able to climb without needing to be held, they will be fine. The day we were there, I saw a father in another group trying to carry his daughter up the falls who was scared. Everyone in our group was watching, fearful that he was going to fall or drop her. Luckily, they got out at the next exit which wasn't too far.

So I say go for it if you think they are physically able to do it, which it sounds like they are. There are many places to exit the falls along the way if it becomes too difficult or overwhelming. But I bet they will think it's pretty awesome....my family did!:D

Oh.....and definately go privately. You will beat the big ship crowd. We used Wentworth Tours and I would use him again. Good luck!

Hmmm. Developmentally delayed six year olds? That's a tough call IMO. That water is running FAST, the rocks can be slippery and sometimes it's quite a stretching step up to the next rock. I saw lots of people fall - not head cracking dangerous falls, but I'm talking about adults. I twisted my ankle when my foot slipped off the rock I was planted on. I knew it hurt when it happened, but the water was SO cold it didn't swell or hurt ... till later! Then YEEEEOCH!

Personally I wouldn't want to be responsible for the safety of two little six year olds on that climb.

And, btw, we went with Phil Lafayette - a VERY good tour operator. He got our small group to the falls really quickly - first thing. That's the ONLY way to go. And wear water shoes. Not sandals. Not old tennis shoes. Five dollar water shoes from WalMart.

The question you need to ask yourself is, are they physically delayed also? If they have normal activity levels for 6 year olds (including: balance and coordination) , you will be fine. If not, think of something else.

Only you know the physical and mental capabilities of your children. As for 2 year olds, personally, I think the cruise line has the minimum age too low for this excursion. The water is rushing fast, is deep in places, and footing is uneven with lots of rocks and little pits. If you decide to try it with your kids, and they find it too tough to handle, you can always get out at the first "escape" point. You might also choose, instead, to play in the water below at the bottom of the falls, or at the beach at the bottom of the falls as an alternative.

Archived