Hurricane Tomas Damage Pics

sandinmypants

I am heart broken to see all these pictures of the damage Tomas did to St. Lucia. I just visited there while on a cruise last Monday (10/25) and had the pleasure of taking a tour with Cosol. I pray for these people. I sure hope Cosol is okay, I will try to email him.

We sailed on Summit in January and had a port of call in St Lucia --- our second time there. I have been surprised that there aren't many posts about the damage there.

We did a biking and hiking excursion on the far side of the island ... and it was just so beautiful. But I remember noticing all of the homes that were built rather precariously into the hillside. I'm saying a prayer for those there, and will be sending a donation.

If the ship docks there maybe everyone on board could purchase a couple bottles of water then donate them to the island. A little goes a long way.

That is a good idea. However, there can be a lot of red-tape when doing things like this. For example, unless you go through a reputable relief organization, people take advantage of such things and take the donations for resale. Just be sure to inquire in advance where the biggest need is. Hygiene items are usually most welcomed.

it was the main island we wanted to see but we can always go back !

That's a good attitude to have. We look at most of our cruises as recon missions...checking out areas to decide whether we want to go back later for a longer stay. St. Lucia's always been on my list but I didn't want to commit an entire week to it just yet. (Hawaii's my favorite place of all; it's really hard to get me to want to go anywhere else!) If you make it there next week, come back to this thread and let us know how things were.

Have a great cruise!

Archived