Not a review...but a few nuggets of info

BeccaBecca1713

Just got back from the Oct 24-31 sailing aboard the Legend. Just want to point out a few things:

-Contrary to some previous threads over the past few months, the Legend is not a rust bucket. At no time did I have pieces of rust raining down onto my head and into any of my drinks. For an 8 y.o. ship that has been drenched in salt water 24/7/365, I thought she looked pretty darn good.:D

-For those panicking about the new restrictions/right to confiscate, I packed into my checked bags the following: 3 curling irons, a fusion iron, a big superpower hairdryer and a 15 foot indoor extension cord. All of them made it to my room in my luggage.

-Kudos to whoever recommended bringing empty water bottles. I'm a sugar addict and knew that my 12-pack of soda wouldn't last the whole week. I don't care for the only free beverages (Lemonade, Iced Tea, Coffee). But at breakfast they have apple juice available. Each morning, I took a plastic water bottle and filled it with the apple juice then put it in my cooler to have for lunch. It was a life saver!!!!

-Also followed other folks suggestions about the Purex 3-in-1 for laundry. Loved the smell but the fabric softner part didn't do so well. My clothes were a little on the crunchy side (after 2 cycles in the dryer and still kinda damp! Those dryers sucked!!):mad:

-Kudos to the suggestion of taking a small bottle of Wool-lite for washing delicates. Yet another life-saver!!

-Kudos to the Captain for arranging a stop in Costa Maya after Belize was cancelled (Hurricane Richard had done some damage to the channel in Belize so we wouldn't be able to make the port). He notified us the afternoon before our scheduled stop, so they had their excursion desk working hard to get folks on new excursions. To my knowledge I didn't hear any outright grumblings from pax.

-A thumbs down to the suggestion of visiting Paradise Beach in Cozumel. I am a total Beach Bum and this beach was just gross. The water was very murkey and the beachline rocky. Also stunk pretty bad. I can't complain too much 'cause admission to the beach itself was free but the taxi ride was a little pricey to and fro. Again, this is just my opinion, but wanted to share.

-A big collective thanks to all the great suggestions and tips I've picked up from all you CC'ers. this wasn't my first cruise, but I felt much more informed this time around, thanks to all of you!!:D:D:D

That you for your insites. I guess everything is subjective. Some people always look for something to complain about. I always look for the good and am usually not dissapointed. I appreciate hearing about Paradise beach. We are still deciding on Cozumel and now that is one beach out of the running:D Thank you and I am glad you had a great cruise. Kris

Nice insites, was this your first cruise? I echo your comments on Paradise beach. We went there for the first on the Dream in August, and were dis-appointed as well. As nice as some beaches on Cozumel (and we have been there many times) I did not think it was up to par.

I'm sorry that your visit to Paradise Beach wasn't better :( We went in 08 and it was paradise!

What I didn't like about the excursion: being in a van for 30-40 minutes in the middle of Mexican Nowhere. The road was horrible. I had to go to the bathroom and I thought I was going to lose it.

If we cruise in Jan/Feb, we will stop in Cozumel. I don't know what there is to do that would be fun for kids. I was thinking a beach day as my girlies really love anything to do with water.

Cozzette2- we were also on the Legend last week. We've done Paradise in the past- SO glad we went to Chankanaab this time. National Park in beautiful condition. Taxi was $15 each way(but so was Paradise beach)- not bad for the 4 of us. Chank is a 'snorkel park'. Lots of loungers and hammocks. Easy access into the water- they have life vests for free (just leave ID). I stayed near the steps- hundreds of fish swimming around you- some big ones (14 inches) too! I made the mistake of bringing a granola bar into the water to feed them- well, after it was gone the big fish started bumping into me looking for more. Freaked me out a little bit. But the fish will swim around you even without food. They were offering guided snorkel tours that take you quite far out into the lagoon. People said you could see HUGE fish out there. The Mayan replicas on the jungle walk were good, too. But very hot back there. Admission is $19pp or $17 using the coupon from Cozumel Insider. Lunch was reasonable- hamburgers were $8. Don't get the nachos, though. Have spaghetti sauce on them! Would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry that your visit to Paradise Beach wasn't better :( We went in 08 and it was paradise!

What I didn't like about the excursion: being in a van for 30-40 minutes in the middle of Mexican Nowhere. The road was horrible. I had to go to the bathroom and I thought I was going to lose it.

If we cruise in Jan/Feb, we will stop in Cozumel. I don't know what there is to do that would be fun for kids. I was thinking a beach day as my girlies really love anything to do with water.

I don't know what the age limit is, but there was an excursion for Aqua Twister. You went on a speed boat to a private beach. When we got back to the room that afternoon I was on my balcony and saw the Aqua Twister boats coming back. Everyone had their hands up like they were on a roller coaster and the boat drivers did some quick turns and all the folks were cheering. Looked very fun, but I think the excursion is a little on the pricey side. If I ever go back to Cozumel, I might splurge and do that one!

All of the beaches on the west side of Cozumel will have the same conditions at any given time. The rocks at the beach at PB are to the south end, the north end is rock free. The beaches on the East side are always a site to behold. Even when the waves are kicking up and it is not safe to go in the water because of the rip tide. Plus the best bars on the island are all over there. The best way to see the Wild East side is by taking the Bar Hop Tour.

All of the beaches on the west side of Cozumel will have the same conditions at any given time. The rocks at the beach at PB are to the south end, the north end is rock free. The beaches on the East side are always a site to behold. Even when the waves are kicking up and it is not safe to go in the water because of the rip tide. Plus the best bars on the island are all over there. The best way to see the Wild East side is by taking the Bar Hop Tour.

Totally agree....

Never went to Paradise beach but have been to Nachi Cocum and Mr Santos and would recommend either of them

I have to give a 2nd to Nachi Cocum......it's a great all inclusive, they only allow 100 cruise passengers per day, they have a great beach and fabulous pool and swimup hottub bar.... I wouldn't go anywhere else when I'm in Coz.

You do have to make reservations in advance but here is the link for anyone going in the future.

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelBeachBreak.htm

Archived