Fishing in Costa Maya

pitz0005

I have researched the boards and not come up with too much recent. Does anyone have any experience in any type of fishing in Costa Maya. I would like to try to book something at the pier in case the weather does not work out. Does anyone recently there recall vendors selling fishing excurisons? Does anyone know where the fishing boats depart from? Any help with logistics, costs, or names of companies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Google Costa Maya fishing charters. There are a few boats you can charter in Costa Maya. We chartered the 32' Proline for four hours back in February. Very nice and clean boat. Unfortunately all we caught was a small baracuda so it was somewhat boring. The dock is just a short taxi ride from the ship. Maybe you will have better luck.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just thought I would mention was in Costa Maya on NCL Spirit last week. Highlight of the cruise was fly fishing in front of the village with a British expat Nick. Ive fly fished Trout before but just had a ball, Nicks a patient teacher and a skilled angler and when he got me doing it right I finally caught about a dozen fish 9 different types including a Bonefish. Couldnt wait to join cc and let you folks know its a great day out. Nick is based at Nohoch Kay restaurant which is a great place for the wife or family. I dont know how you would book him forgot to ask.

Nick did mention some rocky points to the south that sometimes had bigger fish including Baracudas, Jacks and Permit but just where he is hes got like three or four good marks close to the beach.

I did speak to the guys who had chartered a boat from an RCI ship in port and they caught 1 Baracuda in 4 hours between the 6 of them. I think deep sea is better in Cozumel?

Have fun... photos to follow!

• 2 weeks later...

I would echo what fisherboy74 said. We met up with Nick on our cruise last week and he was great. We were beginner fly-fishermen, so he showed us how to cast, how to tie a fly, and then we waded out into the water and fished. We each caught two fish, and even though they weren't the biggest fish ever it wasn't for lack of trying on our part or Nick's. He was really into it the whole time, and was trying hard to help us catch a few more. We finally decided to call it quits after a couple of hours but I have the feeling he would have stayed out there longer with us if we had wanted to. Afterwards we relaxed at the beach club with a few drinks and chatted with Nick. All in all a really pleasant day. He's on facebook, I think his business is called the Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School. We emailed him ahead of time and set up a time/day to meet - everything went very smoothly.

My husband caught a 3 ft barracuda last week on our excursion probably less than 50 feet from the beach! We booked a private snorkeling/fishing tour but I really can't recommend this particular one (costamayacruiseexcrusions billed as Island Marketing Cayman) as neither of the guides spoke English - check that any considered tour has English speaking guides if you don't speak Spanish!!!! We are not regular fisherman and have never fished with the huge rods they provided (2 rods for 4 of us - which was another huge disappointment) and we had absolutely no instruction.

did you ever get an answer to your fishing in Costa Maya question. We were wondering the same thing. We also were wondering if there is anywhere just to rent equiptment and fish off the shore?

thanks

How does the charter work? By that I mean - when we went fishing in Alaska they threw out several lines but as some as there was a bit all the other poles had to come out of the water - so the 4 of us had to take turns pulling in the catch. How do these charters usually work?

• 4 weeks later...

We just came back from a day of fly fishing lessons and fishing with Nick Denbow. We agree with others saying it was a great time! There were just 2 of us (he only takes 3 at the most) and he teaches you the art of fly fishing. He is listed under Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School. You can email or call him for reservations. We made reservations months ago and when we got there, Nick was waiting for us. It was probably the best time we had on our cruise!

Archived