Curious

pinnaclegirl

One thing DW used to do was write herself checks and deduct that from a running account of our checking balance. There is a problem with this, you need to tell others that you are doing it. Years ago I made a purchase with a check and the wife told me that we would be overdrawn. I panicked and took off time to go to the bank in the morning only to find out that I had a few thousand in the account. I celebrated by spending more.

Does anyone or anyone know of anyone who sends money monthly to HAL to maintain a credit account balance that can be drawn against for future cruises. Seems like this would be a good way to budget for future fun. Does HAL allow this?

Hi D-----You can go online and buy onboard credits. Just go to the HAL website and look under "For Booked Guests"----Book shore excursions, spa and indulgences. Then enter your booking number and last name. You will then have a page where you can select booking shore excursions or indulgences. Under indulgences you can buy shipboard credits.

If you haven't set up an account with a sign-in name and password you will be prompted to do so.

Does anyone or anyone know of anyone who sends money monthly to HAL to maintain a credit account balance that can be drawn against for future cruises. Seems like this would be a good way to budget for future fun. Does HAL allow this?

Wouldn't make more sense to put the money in some type of interest bearing account?

Hi D-----You can go online and buy onboard credits. Just go to the HAL website and look under "For Booked Guests"----Book shore excursions, spa and indulgences. Then enter your booking number and last name. You will then have a page where you can select booking shore excursions or indulgences. Under indulgences you can buy shipboard credits.

If you haven't set up an account with a sign-in name and password you will be prompted to do so.

Thanks for the info sapper. By the way, we are back on the Oosterdam saturday to feed the habit.

Interesting notion but I've never heard of such an account with HAL for future cruises. Not sure they'd really want to get into the pseudo banking business where they'd have to keep track of the accounts. Probably would cost them more than they'd make. Buying on board ship credits for a booked cruise is a different case and is actually a nice way to buy down or actually spread out the cost of a cruise, in the sense that your layout is over a period of time rather than at the start of or during a cruise.

We are in Canada, and have a US denominated savings account. When the exchange rate is good we buy US cash for the US $ savings account -- not much at at time usually -- $50 or $100 a few times a month adds up quickly. Some months we don't buy any/"save" for a cruise at all, but other months we do it several times.

I'm trying to get a friend to do this, too, so she has a least a good chunk of the cruise cost banked before final payment date. So far, she doesn't see the value in putting away $50 here and there.

We also buy onboard credits when the exchange rate is good, and we seldom owe much at all at the end of the cruise.

I seriously don't think HAL has the systems in place to carry someone's credit balance without it being attributed to booking number or FCD.

Thanks for the info sapper. By the way, we are back on the Oosterdam saturday to feed the habit.

Oh goody---back to Mexico? Have fun..

Why don't you look at the Zuiderdam for Aug 27th to Alaska. We could eat in the Pinnacle again and solve all the world's problems.

Oh goody---back to Mexico? Have fun..

Why don't you look at the Zuiderdam for Aug 27th to Alaska. We could eat in the Pinnacle again and solve all the world's problems.

Thanks, we are planning several cruises for next year and thats on the list. Would love to back at sea with you and Ken.

I don't know about for future cruises, but for my sailings I normally start purchasing OBC for my ship account.

I know a ballpark figure on what I will spend onboard the ship and add a little cushion.

To me it's one less worry expense. Yes I have two checking accounts, but the intrest rates are very shoddy.

This works out find for me!

"

"Do you know conservative the Knickerbocker Bank is???

They're so conservative, they don't pay any interest at all!"

:D

Do they charge to deal with a live person? Some banks are considering this, or have the charge in place.:(:mad::eek:

A while back I did a thread on 4 or 5 different ship lines forum...asked how people planned financially for cruises. Got some very interesting replies. I don't know how you could find them...maybe looking at threads I started??

This is fun. Well, the stock market seems to be up for now, but that is now and never lasts.

CD's were good in the USA at 4% 2 years ago but they're coming due.

Honest, hide your cash under the mattress. Piece of mind. Peace. Hold on for the ride. I think the next two years are gonna be a rollercoaster............

Archived