Brimstone Hill Fort

moniquet

There really aren't any good beaches close to the fort, from what I've read. We contacted a taxi association in St. Kitts and asked for a taxi for two to Brimstone, perhaps a quick stop at Romney Manor, then out to Cockleshell beach for the day and were quoted $120. I told them okay, but after reading not too good reviews on Cockleshell, I think we'd like to do another beach. Brimstone is a long way from the beaches out on the peninsula, they are opposite directions.

When will you be there? We'll be there Jan. 19 and would share a taxi to Brimstone then out to a beach (perhaps South Friar's beach), if you are interested, or if anyone else is interested. We'll be on the Carnival Miracle.

• 2 weeks later...

Can my older parents, with limited walking ability, be dropped off at the top of the hill to avoid the long walk up? As an aside, I am thinking of hiring a taxi so that we have flexibility for schedule, rest room stops, and customized experience.

Can my older parents, with limited walking ability, be dropped off at the top of the hill to avoid the long walk up? As an aside, I am thinking of hiring a taxi so that we have flexibility for schedule, rest room stops, and customized experience.

I hope someone else will chime in here but I don't think so. There is a very long ramp up to the fortress for walking. Perhaps if you had a wheelchair, but I wouldn't want to be the one pushing or keep it from flying down on the way back. It was over a year ago but I think it would be difficult for someone with limited mobility.

We have been to Brimstone twice. When you go there the taxi takes you to the top of the hill, no need to walk, there is some walking involved at the fort, but still plenty to see even if you can't walk up the fort steps, it is beautiful!

The best way to get around in St Kitts is to know what you want to do and see, go off the ship, there are tons of taxis there. Tell them what you want to see and they will give you a price, they will find a group of people to go with you to bring the cost down. 120$ is a lot. Last time, we went to the fabric factory, Brimstone, then took a driving tour around the island,with a few stops, for 40$ each, there were 2 other couples for a total of 6. You can have them drop you off at a beach after you see the things you want to see.

I am not sure what the price would be for a taxi just to the fort and back, but it is a beautiful island, take a longer tour.

We have been to Brimstone twice. When you go there the taxi takes you to the top of the hill, no need to walk, there is some walking involved at the fort, but still plenty to see even if you can't walk up the fort steps, it is beautiful!

The best way to get around in St Kitts is to know what you want to do and see, go off the ship, there are tons of taxis there. Tell them what you want to see and they will give you a price, they will find a group of people to go with you to bring the cost down. 120$ is a lot. Last time, we went to the fabric factory, Brimstone, then took a driving tour around the island,with a few stops, for 40$ each, there were 2 other couples for a total of 6. You can have them drop you off at a beach after you see the things you want to see.

I am not sure what the price would be for a taxi just to the fort and back, but it is a beautiful island, take a longer tour.

Thanks for your help with this, I was wondering if $120 was too much. I think I'll just do as you say, thanks for the suggestion!

We will not have a huge amount of time after our morning activities so I am still interested in finding how much it would be just to the fort by taxi.

I do not know for sure, but just as a guess, if it was just two of you, it will cost at least 20$ pp for a taxi ride to the fort and back, keeping in mind the driver would probably wait and hour for you to tour/walk the fort. That is a pure guess.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing to consider is renting a car. We were on St. Kitts 12/2, and we rented a car from Avis, which is a quick 5 minute (or less) walk from the pier. We visited Brimstone Hill, Romney Manor, and the southern part of the island (including Cockleshell Beach and a quick glance at Frigate Bay) with time to spare. You have to get a St. Kitts driver's license, which is an additional $24 (you get it from the rental car folks), and the cars are right hand drive & are driven on the left side of the road, but what a great day we had!

St. Kitts was our favorite stop on our cruise. Beautiful island...reminded me a lot of central Maui.

Archived