sunburn remedies

jaxkai

but use balmax (yes, diaper rash cream) Take a shower, do not use soap use a moisturing shower gel. Soap will dry your skin out more. Then apply the balmax, wear a white t-shirt and go to bed. Works wonders!!

~Sweet~

Not silly at all if you know why it works. Balmex contains 11% zinc. Zinc is very soothing and healing for the skin. I keep a tube handy because we've used it for sunburn, bug bites, or any type of skin irritation on people or pets. Just don't let your pets lick it off if you are appyling it to their hot spots. It'll take some time to soak in, but I agree that it does really work. Actually, any diaper rash cream with a high concentration of zinc will do the job.

Noxzema and aspirin works for our family. Our doctor recommended it when my son got sun poisoning. (after he chewed him out for not using sunscreen!) I recently lost my brother to melanoma, so now I do everything possible to prevent burns. With that said, on our Dream cruise in June, in spite of our best efforts, we still managed to get a little too much sun. The aspirin/noxzema combo offers quick relief.

Caveat:

It is not recommended to give aspirin to children under the age of 16. I've also seen the age recommendation go as high as 19, but I believe the standard is not to give aspirin to any child under 16 unless specifically ordered by a doctor for that particular condition.

A couple of years ago while cruising the southern Caribbean, my DW burned really bad. Our cabin stewart told us to get plain yogurt from the lido deck and spread it on the affected areas every 30 -45 minutes. After about an hour the DW felt great. All the red was gone and she never had blisters.

My whole family keeps aloe plants growing in pots outside. You cut a stalk, slice it down the center and put it in the fridge. It feels so good. We've used Solarcaine with Aloe and put it in the fridge, too. The cold cream helps ease a burn. As a child, my family used vinegar, too. It takes the sting out. Living in the "sunshine" state teaches you how to avoid a burn, but how to treat it, too.

I got a sunburn on my last cruise and didn't have anything with me, but thankfully at the Grand Turk cruise center in the big store there I found "Soothe-A-Caine" by Banana Boat (it is a mixture of aloe and lidocaine). It is a spray-on product (no way could I have used a rub-on product due to the severe pain from the sunburn). It worked pretty well except that I wish they hadn't dyed it blue. But, no complaints since it was the only product I had to use and it allowed me to wear clothes! :)

I overheard the dining room hostess tell a pax whose friend was badly sunburned to use plain yoghurt on it. So, when I got burned a couple of days later, i got some from the lido buffett and slathered it on the affected areas. let it sit until it dried the took a cool shower. worked wonders at drawing the heat out.

I got a sunburn on my last cruise and didn't have anything with me, but thankfully at the Grand Turk cruise center in the big store there I found "Soothe-A-Caine" by Banana Boat (it is a mixture of aloe and lidocaine). It is a spray-on product (no way could I have used a rub-on product due to the severe pain from the sunburn). It worked pretty well except that I wish they hadn't dyed it blue. But, no complaints since it was the only product I had to use and it allowed me to wear clothes! :)

I love this stuff but I could not find it before our beach trip last summer so I went with solarcaine, just in case. The Banana Boat Sooth-A-Caine has the topical pain relief plus the aloe vera. Another tip is to put it in the fridge or cooler. Spraying the cool stuff on a burn can be startling, but it really helps cool it down. After it dried on my skin (blue hue mixed with red burn = ?), I put a damp towel on top. That plus ibuprofen. All of that from someone who wears a hat, an umbrella, and reapplies the sunscreen frequently. ;)

great ideas and great minds, funny how so many of the remedies are from our parents and grandparents and still work the best

ive tried them all, well i thought i had, never used yogurt or sourcream but they would make sense as they are milk products

vinegar is great but you stink and i think in a small cabin , ewwww really fast.

ive heard the milk of magnesia, but i have not tried that but hey in an emergency who knows.

i agree with the sun screens and sun blocks but sometimes you burn where you least expect it or when you least expect it so being forwarned and armed for emergencies help your trip stay wonderful.

if you guys have other ideas keep em coming and thank you for sharing, all of you

VINEGAR..... As mentioned before.... The key is to stop the burn, cool it down fast. Vinegar has a very fast evaporation time, faster than rubbing alcohol. With the fast evaporation it will draw the heat out, dab it on or mist it from a spray bottle, do not rub, reapply as often as needed, about 1/2 hour or so, follow with a cool shower, not cold, cold will make you shiver which is the body trying to heat it's self up. After the cool shower take two regular strength aspirin, this will help with the pain plus it is an anti-inflammatory and will help with the tissue swelling. Ibuprophen will also work if there is a sensitivity to aspirin.;)

Agree with the above, My Mom always had the vinegar bath ready for my brother who always managed to burn, to kill the burn.

One thing that has not been mentioned is applying sunblock to a burn helps with limited pealing and soreness. It has worked for me and you dont' have to buy extra gel or aloe.

Hey all,

Not sure if practical or possible but a tepid bath with a box of Baking soda helped me. I suppose one could "dab" it on. Only thing is I left it on overnight-might be a little messy or-powdery in bed when you wake up.

T

I love this stuff but I could not find it before our beach trip last summer so I went with solarcaine, just in case. The Banana Boat Sooth-A-Caine has the topical pain relief plus the aloe vera. Another tip is to put it in the fridge or cooler. Spraying the cool stuff on a burn can be startling, but it really helps cool it down. After it dried on my skin (blue hue mixed with red burn = ?), I put a damp towel on top. That plus ibuprofen. All of that from someone who wears a hat, an umbrella, and reapplies the sunscreen frequently. ;)

Thanks for the tip on putting it in the fridge!

I think the blue Sooth-A-Caine on the red sunburn made it purpley, if I remember correctly. At least I was colorful! :p

The sunscreen I love is from Neutrogena and it is a Cooling Mist - it is great-feeling on your skin when you've been out in the heat for a bit! It protects against both kinds of damaging sunrays. It comes in different SPFs, but I have the highest one I could find (70 or 75) 'cause I am ghostly pale. It is good, you just have to remember to reapply it, which is what I didn't do after getting out of the water! Oops!! :o

My first cruise I got a very bad burn on the beach in Cozumel - pain, blisters, and the first evening/night having uncontrollable shivering from the chills. Definitely not fun!! This last one (my second one) it wasn't quite as bad - no shivers/chills and I don't think any blisters - but it was painful. That was from a private, deserted island in St. Thomas (took a helicopter to/from it) as a beach day. This next cruise better be that "third time's the charm" thing!!! I think it will be, as it looks like we're not having a beach day this time, just tours.

Apple Cider Vinegar doesn't smell quite as bad as regular vinegar and works just as well. We've always used ACV and tea on our kids. With the tea, brew a pot and soak a washcloth in it, then lay across the burn area (I know, not many of us will be brewing a pot of tea on board a cruise ship).

Noxzema and aspirin works for our family. Our doctor recommended it when my son got sun poisoning. (after he chewed him out for not using sunscreen!) I recently lost my brother to melanoma, so now I do everything possible to prevent burns. With that said, on our Dream cruise in June, in spite of our best efforts, we still managed to get a little too much sun. The aspirin/noxzema combo offers quick relief.

LOL!! Noxzema is my Dads answer for everything!:)

Most people don't understand how serious melanoma is and how it spreads to other parts of the body. I am sorry on your loss.

Chuck

Archived