Medical on Equinox

skt4cruise

We just returned for our Holy Land Cruise on Equinox.

It was a bust for me as I became ill with broncitis on second day but I wanted to tell all on CC that the doctors, Gomez and Hernandez were so kind and gave excellent care.

The nurse Charlene Hugo was wonderful, under very difficult circumstances, the med room was packed daily and they had a heart attack that they all ran to at one time. And wow were those sick people rude, nearly knocking people down to get to the doctor first, one man ran right over my foot with a wheelchair.

I did get to see Luxor, Valley of the Kings but I had to miss Israel entirely:(

I still can't believe it, I laid in my cabin staring at the port but my family had a wonderful time and brought back lots of news and pics for me.

Lovely ship, there is not a corner of it that I did not explore on Israel days since I had the ship to myself:D

I agree wholeheartedly about the outstanding Medical Department on the Equinox. In Istanbul this summer, I fell and suffered a severe sprain that forced me in a wheelchair for the remainder of the cruise. The doctors and staff were amazing and I am very thankful. Cudos to Celebrity for having such high standards to ensure excellent emergency care to its passengers.

We always had very good care on X ships. We both seem to get bronchitis easily on board.

I also needed to have my protime taken a couple of cruises ago and they handled that beautifully.

They have changed the policy for needles, just in case anyone is interested. Used to be, on non-S class, that you could bring needles to the medical center. Now you ask your cabin attendant for a sharps container for your cabin. They are then responsible to sign it back into the medical center after you leave.

Bobbie

Sad to say, I cannot say the same for the Medical Centre on the Eclipse.

On the 13th October, in the late afternoon after coming out of the Solarium Pool, I slipped on the steps between the pool and the jacuzzi. I sustained a bad cut to my big toe, I think from a rough piece of metal on the step edge. At the time it did not seem to bad so dressed it with our first aid kit, it hurt a lot overnight, so reported to the medical centre the next day. After filling several forms I saw the doctor, who instructed a nurse to glue up the cut and apply a dressing, and was told the safety officer would contact me, to rest for a couple of days (missing Palermo), and return in two days for a check up.

Two days later I returned for the check up and further gluing and dressing took place, and I mentioned that I had not heard from the safety officer yet. I was also to go on the last day of the cruise to have a final check up.

Three days later, on the last sea day I went to reception querying why the safety officer had not contacted me, and after several phone calls and a short wait, I saw the safety officer, who explained it was lack of communication between the medical centre, reception and his office was the reason I had not seen him earlier. We went to the site of the accident, it appeared that the rough piece of metal had been filed flat, the safety officer did not make a lot about the accident, but did say the treatment would be 'Complimentary'.

I have to say at the time I thought the staff and care in the Medical Centre was excellent.

The day after we returned I was still having problems, so went to the doctors, I was unable to see a doctor, but a nurse had a look at my foot, and was surprised to see that the wound was covered with a large waterproof plaster, which was not allowing the wound to heal. she re-dressed the wound properly, and arranged for me to see her again 3 days later. With the new dressing the wound soon healed after that, although my foot is still painfull at times. Eventually I saw my doctor, who said I had done quite a bit of damage to my foot, and it will take around 3 months to get over it.

A word of warning, a lady needed a replacement inhaler, but they would not sell it to her without a prescription, for which she would have to see the doctor, which cost her $60. Make sure you take plenty of your medicines with you!

Richard

Archived