Which underwater camera?

eap1986

I'm taking my nice camera of course, but it's not waterproof! So I'm going to order a couple of disposable underwater cameras for water activities. I got some great shots with the Kodak Max underwater camera both above and below the water but found that the Fujifilm Quicksnap got really good reviews.

Have you guys had any experience with these?

I'm taking my nice camera of course, but it's not waterproof! So I'm going to order a couple of disposable underwater cameras for water activities. I got some great shots with the Kodak Max underwater camera both above and below the water but found that the Fujifilm Quicksnap got really good reviews.

I don't know how much money you're wanting to spend, but IKELITE makes underwater housing for cameras. They work pretty well and are made for diving so are rated down to a good depth. Also look at your camera manufacturer also, as they sometimes sell housing for camera.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/1digital.html

Not sure what you want to spend or what your requirements are, but the other day I picked up a Fujifilm XP-10 waterproof camera at Costco for $139. Have never used it under water, but I hear it's okay for snorkeling. Only good up to 10 feet under water.

Not sure what you want to spend or what your requirements are, but the other day I picked up a Fujifilm XP-10 waterproof camera at Costco for $139. Have never used it under water, but I hear it's okay for snorkeling. Only good up to 10 feet under water.

I second this....I love mine. I even picked up a floating strap so if I drop the camera it will float to the top and just hang there. I picked up mine for 141 CAN then added the extended warranty and the strap for a total of 194. It has 12 mega pixels and the quality of the photos is incredible.

I took a picture on halloween of a cob web with frost on it. I was able to see every strand. I would definately second this

I got a kodak at walmart, about $9, and this thing took almost perfect pictures...of course i assume it depends on the setting these pictures were all outdoors at a dolphin experience, they were better than the digital camera

Well I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money as I just got a brand new digital that cost quite a bit. It's a big body camera too so I don't know if I would be able to get any sort of case, I have seen them for smaller digitals though.

Perhaps I should invest in a waterproof digital though, at around $150 I suppose it would pay for itself rather quickly as the disposables are $10 a pop plus processing.

I also have the fugi underwater and it takes nice pictures . . . I have used the disposable in the past and they are really dependent on lighting and most of our pictures from a cloudy day turned out competely dark. Waste of camer and money processing. With the digital you get flash and the ability to see before you print.

The Canon D10 is a great camera for up to 33 feet down and freeze proof, drop proof from 5ft. It can be found for around 270.00 at amazon. they take great pics. We did the disposeables but like you say they get expensive and add up rather quickly with processing etc. plus with the digital you get to take so many more pics than just the 24 or whatever they have. Hope you enjoy your trip.

It sounds like the big difference between the Fujifilm and the Canon is how far down you can go. That and $130. lol

The Fijifilm is also dust(sand) proof, freeze proof and drop resistant to 5 feet.

Hadn't thought about the floating strap but sure sounds like a great idea.

I also just recently paid alot for a digital SLR so I wasn't real keen on spending more money, but the website with the waterproof bodys had one for my good camera listed for $1,500. Ouch.

I think a reasonably priced waterproof digital is a good compromise between a spendy waterproof body and a cheap disposable. Plus you can film underwater and they're very small and portable.

I've been using a Fuji WP Z33 when snorkeling, it's compact, maybe 2" x 3", fits into my hand real easy. Only negative I've found is that its zoom isn't the greatest, and I sometimes guess what's the best focus. Being digital, I can take several pictures of an underwater scene and just erase the ones that I don't like. Now if only the fish would stop swimming so much and just pose for me.

Another vote for Canon D10.

There really is no substitute for a digital camera. You can take hundreds or more pictures per trip and there are no printing costs unless you want to.

You can review pictures you took real time and take more if necessary.

While the initial outlay is more, it doesn't take long to recover your investment.

I've used a couple different ones, with the same out come, good pics. They use an 800 iso film and every picture is great. Now a word from the wise. When you get them, take them out of the packaging and inspect the case. I had a cracked one and the water got in and ruined the film. So inspect the case before you go near the water. Other than that, have a great cruise and take some great pics with those cameras.

I have taken great pictures with my Vivitar 8400, about $75 on Amazon. I don't trust the waterproof enclosures for my good camera so I picked up one of these. It has already survived it's 3rd cruise and is still working great. Pay attention to making sure the battery and card cover is closed tight and rinse it well after being in salt water and you won't have any problems.

The only issue is that the screen on back is hard to see in bright sunlight so sometimes its a point and hope situation. It also seems to have a slow shutter response so keep the image in the viewfinder for a couple of seconds after you press the shutter release.

pics taken on Grand Turk with the Fujixp10..takes great videos, too...

GndTrkLaRomana1010066.jpg

GndTrkLaRomana1010040.jpg

GndTrkLaRomana1010010.jpg

GndTrkLaRomana1010086.jpg

invest in the strap, and an extra battery..easily available for dirt money on the auction site...

the only caution is to make sure you FIRMLY close the battery/memory card door.

Definitely worth the investment to protect your 'good' camera..but be warned, it takes POOP indoor shots..use your good camera for those!

I've been using a Fuji WP Z33 when snorkeling, it's compact, maybe 2" x 3", fits into my hand real easy. Only negative I've found is that its zoom isn't the greatest, and I sometimes guess what's the best focus. Being digital, I can take several pictures of an underwater scene and just erase the ones that I don't like. Now if only the fish would stop swimming so much and just pose for me.

Haha!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I have a lot to think about now!

Another vote for the Canon D10! My mom bought ours for us for Christmas last year for our cruise in Jan. It was GREAT! I actually use it now more than any of my other cameras. It takes great underwater and land pcitures and has lots of fun features as well. I did have an error msg at the beginning but it only happened once or twice and hasn't happened again since.

We bought an extra battery. And I would like to buy a floating strap.

Archived