Freedom Eastern excursions?

skittl1321

(Yes, I know there are port of call boards, and I've visited them many times, but I'm so overwhelmed with planning, that hopefully this post can stay here.)

So we go on this cruise 1/1- yay! it's getting close. And my husband, my brother-in-law, and my sister-in-law show no signs of wanting to help plan our trip at all.

I'm trying not to overplan, but I also worry about what the heck we are going to do- I mean it's not like it's a cheap trip, the flight to the port costs almost the same as the cruise.

Anyhow- I'm wondering if people could suggest excursions for the entire cruise, as opposed to just one port- kind of an overarching plan. We are a bit worried about the water temperature (especially Bahamas) but went Southern Mexico on the same time frame for our last cruise and water was fine. We do have bio-bay kayaking planned for San Juan, but that's where the planning ends.

We aren't shopping/heavy drinking types, and are late 20s/early 30s.

Which of the ports for this cruise (St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau) are easy to not book an excursion for. Will we easily find something to do if we don't have plans?

I just can't find any carnival excursions that really scream out to me, so I need help. (I wanted to do the baths in Tortola, but Carnival isn't listing it...) We like semi-active, but 2 of us have neck/back problems, so not too out there.

Thank you!

We did the Dolphin Experience in Tortola. We booked on-line and took a taxi there. Much, much cheaper than Carnival prices, especially since DH and DS just wanted to watch. Carnival was charging $40 ea for observers when it there is no charge at the Dolphin Experience for them go in and watch. The only true cost for them was the taxi ride over there, which wasn't that much since it is only 5 minutes from the port.

We did the Carnival Jeep Tour in Antigua. Nice way to see the island and spend a little time on the beach.

In St. Thomas we have done the Semi-Submarine (we really didn't see that much) and the Screaming Eagle Jet Boat which was really fun with the kids.

We're on this same cruise a few weeks after you. We have rented a car from Avis in St Thomas to tour the island and pre booked to scuba at Secret Harbor. Antiqua we've booked and all day trip with Creole Cruises . . . check out the great reviews on the port of call thread. Again in Tortola we will rent a car. Renting the car gives us the option to see as much or little as we want and move the tour along when we get board or don't like something. The tours that I've booked with the big groups always drive my DH crazy because we always end up having to wait on someone who can't tell time or we end up spending a lot of time at a beach or attraction that we don't find much interest in. Good luck . . . our group is 3 couples and I have done all the pre planning. I put together options for each port, called a mandatory groupd dinner and got input from everyone. Before booking the few things we have pre booked.

I put together options for each port, called a mandatory groupd dinner and got input from everyone.

We tried this in the summer, but the carnival excursions weren't up yet- and they decided they didn't want to plan on "possible" excursions.

So it went nowhere.

I've thought about assigning everyone a port- but I have a feeling that would mean we end up with 1 port planned (mine, well plus San Juan- bio bay was one of the reasons we booked the cruise), and 3 not. On my last cruise, for example- no plans in Zihuateneo the day was really easy and excellent- water taxi to a beach. But no plans in Manzanillo would have been awful. I can't get a gauge on which ports will be like that.

I'll have to ask DH about the rental car idea- driving in another country makes me too nervous.

Thanks all for the suggestions- keep them coming.

We aren't booking through cruiseship for our tours. Because there were 3 couples . . . and this is my annv cruise. I basically said this is what we want to do, those who would like to join us great, those who have their own plans great, we'll see everyone at dinner. One couple is doing everything with us and the other is venturing out two days on their own. We have rented a car in St Thomas and the Grand Cayman. Antigua with the Lobster Lunch is our only whole day excursion. When we rent in St Thomas we only have a scuba excursion for my DH booked which is only about 2 hours and then we can stay at the beach or head out to see other places. In 2008 with our daughters we then drove up to Paradise Point and also found a Kmart for some stuff we needed. The day was really easy and we just moved on when we were ready. I'm hoping for hte same this time, although I have some other places I'd like to see this time. Same with Tortola, it's not that big so we might see how many beaches we can hit, unless we find one with a great beach bar and we might not leave. Nassau is the one stop I truly have no plans. I did book a car as a back up but I'm waiting to see what the weather is like. Sometimes it's cool and I don't want to book a snorkel trip when I don't even want to be in the water. We've always cruise alone, so the next two cruises I have planned with groups will be a challange to keep everyone happy.

Archived