Hotels in Hong Kong: "Kowloon Shangri-La" or the "Langham"?

lara68

We are on the Quest for a SE Asia journey 2/19/11. We have our air through Azamara and are looking to book post-cruise days in HOng Kong. They are offering the "Kowloon Shangri-La" or the "Langham". Does anyone have an opinion which would be better: location etc?? Any help is appreciated.

The Langham is by far one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. (We have stayed at the Balmoral in Edinburgh, the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach, OR--both considered two of the top hotels in their respective countries). I would take the Langham over any other hotel in Hong Kong. It being less than a block from the cruise terminal, the Star Ferry and the subway is a huge bonus.

We have booked the Langham for our post cruise stay in Hong Kong. We booked it on our own rather than using the cruise line's post cruise trip as it was way more economical. The Langham has a very high rating on TripAdvisor.com which is where I found it. It is also one of the best priced of the top hotels in Hong Kong. You might want to compare the pricing booking it on your own or booking through the cruise line. I used their online website to book and it was very easy.

We have booked the Langham for our post cruise stay in Hong Kong. We booked it on our own rather than using the cruise line's post cruise trip as it was way more economical. The Langham has a very high rating on TripAdvisor.com which is where I found it. It is also one of the best priced of the top hotels in Hong Kong. You might want to compare the pricing booking it on your own or booking through the cruise line. I used their online website to book and it was very easy.

I totally agree with EmsMom. We booked it on our own last March and got a rate of less than $200 a night. For a hotel of The Langham's quality and location, this is a SUPERB value.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed there last week, and it was excellent. I can't tell you the rate because it was included and prepaid on our tour. The guest rooms were beautiful and our harbor view was spectacular. We also enjoyed their breakfast buffets and two of the special restaurants, Chinese and Italian. The location is walking distance from most of Hong Kong's attractions, but the subway stop is also very convenient.

We did not see the Langham Hotel, so I cannot comment on it.

Hi Lara,

Attached is a map of Tsim Sha Tsui, the region where the cruise terminal is located.

The red box shows the cruise terminal, the yellow box for Langham Hotel, and the light blue box for Kowloon Shangri-La.

Obviously Langham is closer to the cruise terminal, but you may enjoy the harbour view in Shangri-La (if you are offered the harbour-view rooms).

Langham is just opposite to the cruise terminal, and Shangri-La is 10- to 15-minute walk from the cruise terminal.

Hope it is useful to you.

Henry

13628395.jpg

Just returned from a post cruise stay in Hong Kong. We stayed in the Marco Polo Hong Kong. It's actually at the end of the cruise pier. Right next to the star ferry terminal too. Though we didn't have a harbour view room you only had to go out the back door for the view. Room was great, breakfast was the biggest variety that I have ever seen. Would certainly stay there again.

Either of those hotels are OK but bear in mind that Azamara is more likely to dock at The Merchant's Wharf pier on the HK island side. You did not mention whether you were arranging the hotel yourself. If you are any brand name hotel in the Tsimshatsui area is easy to get to all the sights and shops. We normally stay at the Salisbury/YMCA next to the Peninsula. It is great for location and value. HK is small and easy to get around by yourself by ferry,bus or subway.

ADVISE: Get an Octopus card as soon as you get there. You can use it for all public transport and also for other things. For more info on the usage go to http://www.octopus.com.hk.

Have a nice trip!

Either of those hotels are OK but bear in mind that Azamara is more likely to dock at The Merchant's Wharf pier on the HK island side.p!

Of course I guess this wouldn't be the first time that a cruise line web site was in error, but it does say Ocean Terminal, not the Merchant's Wharf.

Of course I guess this wouldn't be the first time that a cruise line web site was in error, but it does say Ocean Terminal, not the Merchant's Wharf.

When we were at Ocean Terminal (the one highlighted on Henry's post), we were parked next to an Azamara ship.

No expert, not saying that's always the case, just saying.

We too rate the Salisbury (to the left of the Peninsula Hotel) very highly for its location & value, but if your pockets are deep both the Langham & Kowloon Shangri-La are better hotels.

For convenience there's little to choose between any of the hotels mentioned on this thread, Shangri-La's marginally-less convenient location is balanced by the attractive walk from the Star Ferry terminal along the harbourfront, and by its superb harbour-view rooms.

John Bull

I have checked the Ocean Terminal schedule and Azamara is docking there for sure on the January 8 sailing.

I booked the Langham for one night and the Hullett House for another. I admit the Hullett House is very expensive but it so unique I thought I would treat myself. After all I am celebrating a birthday during January while onboard and have decided to treat myself to a Singapore Sling at Raffles and now a night at Hullett House. It is also very close to the cruise terminal!!!

They have good rates available if you send them an email. Great package that includes food and transfers and a lovely Junk cruise in the harbour!!!

OMG - can't hardly wait!!!!!

I admit the Hullett House is very expensive but it so unique I thought I would treat myself. After all I am celebrating a birthday during January while onboard and have decided to treat myself to a Singapore Sling at Raffles and now a night at Hullett House.
Never mind the birthday excuse - it's always good to treat yourself well! Enjoy HH! :):)

Never mind the birthday excuse - it's always good to treat yourself well! Enjoy HH! :):)

I like the way you think!!! I may also treat myself to a few other things.... LOL ;)

Like a spa evening at Sulwhasoo Spa - I hear tell they have an amazing Red Ginseng and Gold facial. Like a custom made cheongsam - I have the name of a great tailor in Tsim Sha Tsui. Like NON STOP DIM SUM for 4 days!!!! Perhaps a small (or big) yellow sapphire in Thailand.

Cant wait!!!!

I don't thinkj the OP was thinking of paying around $700 per night at the Hullett.I am sure it waill be a great experience just like the Peninsula in HK or Raffles in Singapore.

Have a nice trip.

Thanks!!

BTW - They have some lower prices now that they are Leading Hotels of the World! Around $580.00 including breakfast. :)

Archived