Tipping at Chefs Table

AZaTaz

Sorry if this has been answered before but I did a search and could find nothing.

My question is for those that have been lucky enough to be selected for the Chefs Table, did you tip and if so who?

Sorry if this has been answered before but I did a search and could find nothing.

My question is for those that have been lucky enough to be selected for the Chefs Table, did you tip and if so who?

Great question, I'm anxious to see the answer.

We have done the Chef's Table 3 times (on different ships) and never noticed anyone tipping. You must consider you are already paying $75 pp extra for that dinner. Tipping would be difficult since the Chef's Table is handled by multiple staff (several waiters, maitre d's, wine stewards, galley staff, etc).

Hank

That is a great question & since no "answer" has been posted, I'll step into this minefield tipping question. :rolleyes:

We've attended 3 CTs in the past 18 months & didn't tip, nor did we see anyone else do it. The service is great but having paid $75/pp never thought about a tip.

Obviously a personal decision but other threads on tipping in the Crown Grill or Sabatini said some servers refused to accept any tip (said they get a set amount of the fee) & others said their server accepted a cash tip (they can keep it if you have the automatic tips in place).

It sounds like there's no absolute procedure for tipping in the specialty restaurants. Thus we have not tipped at the CT but now that this subject has come up may consider it the next time? :cool:

That is weird about Sabatini's and Crown Grill because I have dined at both specialty restaurants and they have happily taken our cash tips! :p

Agreed, it is weird...some share your experience while others have different ones.

We can speculate why it varies & whether it's an individual dining room or a ship's decision on how they implement the specialty restaurants' tip procedure but may never know why.

We have just done the Chefs Table on the Diamond and I was concerned about tipping. I have read posts which said you should tip and others which said you shouldn't. We had experienced cruisers at our table who had been to several Chef's Tables and they said they tip at the beginning of the cruise and not at the dinner. So we decided we would tip the two wait staff who served all the dinner courses and the wine. Also by the time we had finished dinner they were the only two staff left so we were able to do it discretely.

We have done the Chef's Table twice (and loved every minute of it) and have not tipped nor have I never seen anyone else tip either. Would be difficult with anywhere from 4-8 people doing various things at various times at the Chef's Table.

Tim

Archived