Alaska Cruise with Kids??

andovertravelers

First off please go to the Alaskan boards- plenty of cruisers there who have done this. you wil lget more advice on ports and kids etc.. alos after two Alaskan cruises I would look at vancouver over Seatle. between wasted time and rougher seas ..keep reading

I personally would not recommend an Alaska cruise for a 1st cruise. I would do Caribbean 1st. With an Alaska cruise, you miss the action out on deck in the warm sunshine, and that, in my opinion, is what most people envision when they think about cruising. I loved cruising Alaska, and so did our daughters, but we did it as our 5th cruise.

I personally would not recommend an Alaska cruise for a 1st cruise. I would do Caribbean 1st. With an Alaska cruise, you miss the action out on deck in the warm sunshine, and that, in my opinion, is what most people envision when they think about cruising. I loved cruising Alaska, and so did our daughters, but we did it as our 5th cruise.

I would disagree with this as long as you know what you are getting in to. You will not be spending time around the pool and swimming but IMO that doesn't matter. Alaska is so beautiful it is an easy trade off.

B.

you should of been on my cruise. .we had a warm ketchikan day and the sea day was the carribbean with snow on the mts. people were buying frozen drinks.. i used my balcony noth times.

We're looking into some Alaska options, considering Celebrity and a few others. I have three boys ranging from 11 - 16. Will there be a lot of other kids their age on an Alaskan sailing? I know it varies from sailing to sailing but I want to have some idea.

Thanks!

First cruise my children took (except for a 4 day cruise in Australia) was an inside passage return from Vancouver. They were 13 and 10 at the time and loved it. We were on Holland American and there were lots of kids. They loved this cruise. We did things in port that we thought they were interested in. They loved the lumberjack show. We had great weather and used the outdoor pool. We did this cruise because one of my sons and myself were prone to sea sickness. We were fine on this cruise and we have cruised many times since.

Of all our cruises, we liked our two to Alaska best. We feel that it is a place to be experienced as opposed to simply observed. I think the kids would be fine, but the potential problem may come with excursions. There are wonderful and unique things to see and do, and I hope you will cater to the adults rather than trying to gear all the activities to the kids.

Some possibilities that would be good for all:

Juneau-whale watching. We recommend Captain Larry (Orca Enterprises)

Ketchikan. Crabfisherman's trip (think deadliest catch, but in calm waters). If money is no object, a float plane trip to Misty Fjords with Island Wings or Carlin air is spectacular and our favorite excursion of all time.

Skagway. Either the White Pass train or rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake.

Sitka. The national park and raptor center.

However, other places may not be quite so easy. If you go to Victoria, the Butchart gardens are gorgeous. . Don't miss them even if you think the kids might get bored. They do have great ice cream ;). You can catch the local bus or take Gray Line (I think) and not fool with the ship excursion.

If you have not joined the roll call for your sailing, you might do so and perhaps connect with other couples with kids and combine activities and excursions.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We've been twice (both times out of Seattle). Our boys were 6 and 9 the first time on the Infinity. They both loved it. The older one said it was better than Disney World.

If you go on the Infinity, bring the kids to the Brent Nixon lectures. He's the naturalist on board. He's wonderfully entertaining. Sounds boring, but trust me, it's a highlight.

Our kids love Celebrity's children's program. Insist that your kids give it a try. It will make for a much better cruise for you and them. Do whale watching in Juneau, Deadliest Catch in Ketchikan.

DH & my first cruise was AK -- I was dead set against a cruise, but DH convinced me that the only way to see AK was from the water. Even on a god-awful ship (a sister ship of the Adrea-Doria, it was sunk about 10 years ago for one of those reef projects) and a budget rate cruise line -- it was an AMAZING trip.

We've taken AK cruises three times since (when DD was 7, 8 and 10YO) and we've all enjoyed each one.

While "at sea" it may be a bit chilly some days for the woosies among you to sit poolside sipping ice drinks :D - most of the time the weather is quite mild. And unlike the caribbean cruises, there is a good reason to be out on deck or on your balconey -- the view is nearly always incredible.

As others indicated, the trip from Seatle to Vancouver is uneventful -- starting and/or ending from Vancouver is well worth it. And WVUFan's advice as to things to do is spot on. If your family is about anything other than simply beach and sun, an AK cruise can be a great first cruise.

Archived