Maasdam Caribbean 10-day holiday questions

heidik

I am seriously considering this cruise as a solo traveler seeking R&R and quiet.....I know that the holiday cruises traditionally have more kids - do you think it may be quieter being a 10-day? Also, does anyone have experience with a BC on the Maasdam? There is a big difference in price for this cruise between the BC guaranty and a BA for example.....thanx

Got the cruise fever BAD!

Really kind of hard to say for sure how many children, and actually what the age mix will be, on any given cruise. Certainly a holiday cruise raises the chances of more children on the ship simply because many will be out of school but 10-day cruises chew up a lot of vacation time and that might limit the number of children on a given cruise. The other factor is that while all HAL ships have Club HAL and the associated children's programs the smaller ships like the Maasdam are not quite as attractive to families as the larger Vista and Signature class ships. Our own experiences have not been during the Christmas holidays but during the spring break time frame and that amounted to 200 children on the Oosterdam on a 7-day cruise to just 3 children on the Veendam on a 14-day cruise the very next year.

Our first cruise was on the Maasdam for an 11-day Holiday cruise. I won't lie ... there were kids. BUT, truthfully - they did not bother us at all. The cruise was much quieter and peaceful than I had anticipated. Don't let someone elses children stop YOU from the trip.

As to your BC question ... there are only 4 BC cabins. And they are all triples. I would say your chances of being upgraded to something else are pretty good (BB, BA, B, etc.)! :)

Archived