Minor Travel...Can I do it?

bucahenze

Not just married 18 year olds but any 'underage' married couple (16,17 etc)

The explanation is simple...

How do you tell a married couple <21 years old who share a bed together every night that they cannot share a cabin together on a cruise :D

Well, you could. RC has the right to have any age restrictions that they want. They do, however, allow under 21's to book and sail without an adult IF they are married.

Their ships, their rules.

You do need someone over 21 booked in each cabin. This is RCI policy of an age restriction.

You do not need a letter of permission from your parents. This is referring to minor, which legally is described as under 18. (although never hurts to have the letter and it might protect your aunt in cases where she has to make a judgment call, such as a medical emergency).

From RCI website:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any MINOR child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents.

All that said, since you are embarking in a foreign port where the drinking age is under 21, you will need your parents notarized letter to allow drinking. If you are planning on imbibing, you may want to again call, and see what letters you would need for your aunt to provide the waiver. If you have the same last name, it might not be an issue.

From the website:

On cruises embarking in a country where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her 18 to 20 year old minor son or daughter, may be permitted to sign a waiver allowing the minor to consume alcoholic beverages.

All that said, since you are embarking in a foreign port where the drinking age is under 21, you will need your parents notarized letter to allow drinking. If you are planning on imbibing, you may want to again call, and see what letters you would need for your aunt to provide the waiver. If you have the same last name, it might not be an issue.

From the website:

On cruises embarking in a country where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her 18 to 20 year old minor son or daughter, may be permitted to sign a waiver allowing the minor to consume alcoholic beverages.

good catch, unfortunately the policy says the parent must be sailing with you (permission slips are given at check in to parents) Unless Aunt is the parent, she won't be able to drink :(

hummm..... "18 to 20 year old minor son or daughter":confused: what site was that text from?

good catch, unfortunately the policy says the parent must be sailing with you (permission slips are given at check in to parents) Unless Aunt is the parent, she won't be able to drink :(

hummm..... "18 to 20 year old minor son or daughter":confused: what site was that text from?

yeah..I caught that "sailing with you pice", which is why I think if Aunt has same last name, might be a non issue? I don't know..

Good catch on the 18-20 year old MINOR son or daughter. I didn't catch that. Here's the URL:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/061229_Royal_Guest_Conduct_Policy_Final.pdf

If both are over 18, I don't think the parents can say yea/nea about going on a cruise. RCCL may want an adult in the cabin or an adjacent cabin. At 18, the "kids" are no longer legally kids so parental permission is not required. RCCL rules on young cruisers apply but requiring a letter would be kind of out of place since the "kids" are adults and the parents would really have no authoirty to sign a letter about what the kids do.
Legally, whether an 18 year old is still a "kid", varies from state to state, country to country, and purpose to purpose.

Woah, looks like we're pulling from two different sources that state two different things then. It's clearly been revised in light of similar confusion.

That pdf states that a minor is anyone under 21, however...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

According to this a Minor is under 18, a young adult is 18-20 for RCCL.

For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. A young

adult is defined as anyone ages 18, 19 or 20.

and thanks for the feedback, my aunt is bringing her boyfriend too btw so does that make a difference?

Then it would be easy to book Aunt & you in Cabin #1 and Boyfriend & your friend in Cabin #2, right across the hall or right next to each other, and then switch once you board.

A lot of the information posted above is incorrect. I am traveling on EOS with my two children, ages 20 and 22. I called RCI to ask if I needed any permission letter for my 20 year old as I was not traveling with their Dad. I do not need a permission letter, however, I need to prove I am her mother. As we don't share a common last name, I have to bring my marriage certificate to prove a legal connection from my maiden name on her passport to my current legal name. If she was not traveling with at least one parent, she would have needed a permission slip. As far as RCI is concerned, a minor is anyone under 21.

I have had my children in their own room on previous cruises and they were booked in their own room. As long as their room was across the hall from mine, or next door, we did not have to put an adult's name on the reservation. The first time I traveled with them I did put an adult's name in each room and then switched once on board. I was told at check-in that I did not have to do that, as long as the rooms were near each other.

In any event, it is always a good idea to call RCI and confirm the documentation needed. No need to stress at the pier when you are checking in.

Archived