What to do in San Juan

sme

We will be visiting San Juan for the first time in April and are wondering what to do. I am thinking a tour of Old San Juan sounds interesting. Does this include a tour of the fort? I am traveling with my wife and 13 yr old son. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old San Juan is great. We flew in the day before and had plenty of time to look around and enjoy it. Lots of history, plazas, sculptures and the forts and wall around the city (and the walkway outside the wall) make it a great place to tour. Here's a piece I wrote after we got back that describes a good way to get a feel for all of Old San Juan. I'm sure any tour of the area would include at least one of the forts.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/travel/article1131888.ece

If you are up to try the Segway tour that includes the fort. We went to SJ when my son was 13 and did the Segways, unfortunately we were in town after the fort closed so didn't get to do that part. He had a blast and still talks about going on the Segway.

Did you book the Segway tour through the ship or on the Island?

We booked it ourselves, however soon after we were there (at least from a RCI perspective) it was an offered excursion so you had to book through the cruiseline. There is only 1 tour operator that I am aware of that does the tour. It is talked about a lot on these board, don't have the name handy, or just do a search I am sure you can find them. I would try booking directly first, see if they will let you. Either way, book it as early as possible as it does fill up.

Archived