Disembarking the Jewel in NY (March 20, 2011)

RainbowsMist

Frist time cruiser here...just wondering how long we can expect the entire process to take getting off the ship? There will be 5 of us (DH, myself and our 3 DD's) and we're Canadian (not sure if that would hold us up longer)

I'd like to book the 10:00 am Amtrak to Boston. Is this possible??

Thanks so much,

Kim :)

Frist time cruiser here...just wondering how long we can expect the entire process to take getting off the ship? There will be 5 of us (DH, myself and our 3 DD's) and we're Canadian (not sure if that would hold us up longer)

I'd like to book the 10:00 am Amtrak to Boston. Is this possible??

Thanks so much,

Kim :)

What time are you scheduled to arrive in NYC?

There are a number of recent threads on here about the really chaotic, awful disembarkation process in NY. Several weeks ago, we were on the Jewel arriving at 8am. The ship was cleared promptly. We used self-disembarkation, which was horrific, and we were finally out of the terminal at about 9:15am or a little later. (The problem wasn't Customs, it was NCL's lack of any process or organization.)

Assuming an 8am arrival time for your ship, I think you'd be cutting it awfully close for a 10am train, no matter how you got off the ship. And if the ship were late, or one little thing went wrong.....

Enjoy your cruise!

That sailing is scheduled to arrive at 09:00 am. There is no way you would make a 10:00 train at Penn station. At best, you might get off the ship by 10:00 am and then you have to catch a cab over to Penn Station and schlep your bags down to the tracks.

I would look for trains running no earlier than noon to let you take your time getting off the ship, go through customs, catch a cab, and unload over at Penn Station.

As mentioned the earliest option in disembarking is the self-disembarkation where you have to have all of your bags with you and you get to join the cha-cha line along with everyone else who wanted to do the same thing. It is a very chaotic setup and you would be quite frazzled by the time you make it off the ship.

Sure, if you book it for the next day! ;) Our ship docked at 8 am, we were in the lobby with our bags at 7:30 am, line starting moving at 8:45, and we were finally off of the ship at 10:35! :eek: You would've been out probably 1/2 hour earlier, being Canadian (I was wishing I wasn't a US citizen standing in that line). Book a later train, be the last ones off the ship, and being foreign, you will then breeze through customs. Really, it's 2 hours of hell, especially when they make you stand outside for 45 minutes on deck 7, in the cold.

there is almost a 100% chance that the 10am Amtrak will be an hour or so late:D...but I still wouldn't book it......do yourself a favor and book somethng for after 1pm...and pack light..like a roll on or look up that website that stores luggage for a few hours..I am sure someone has that info....and enjoy the city for an hour or 2...go to Rock Center or the top of the Empire State Building..or just wait on the ship until the last minute..get to penn station and wait....have lunch or something

10am is tooooo early and you will probably miss the train.

Just as an extra bit of info....the Amtrak will stop in New Rochelle and Stamford on its way to Boston....you could take the Metro North New Haven line to either of those stops and pick up Amtrak to Boston...it will cost you a little and will be an incredible hassle...but if you can't find anything to do in NYC for a few hours...that is always an option:D

Archived