Jonh Heald CD

NH Cruisers

I sailed on the Carnival Dream in Feb. '10. John Heald was the cruise director. We left the cruise with the impression that he was the best CD we ever had the pleasure of having on a cruise. He is so involved with just about everything. I have kept up with his blog since our cruise and even before it when he was keeping us up to date on the building of the Dream.

For all the folks that endured the Splendor accident, be happy he was the CD. His presence I would imagine was irreplaceble. He is very good at what he does, and really just a decent person. I hope to sail with him again in the future.

Jon

Although I'm sure Carnival's other cruise directors would do a fine job as well I don't think that anyone could do better than John did.

Your description of him is very accurate and I'm thrilled to be able to call him my friend...

:)

I have never had the pleasure of sailing with John but after reading his blog and his handling of the recent event on the Splendor, I am going to book a cruise where he is the cruise director. I hope to get to meet him.

D

I have never had the pleasure of having John as CD, but I certainly hope ot in the future. When people say, what the heck does a CD do anyways, and I don't care who the CD is on my ship should take pause.

Reading John's account of the incident on his blogspot was an eye opener.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

Kudos to John and all the employees whose professionalism throughout this ordeal was a credit to Carnival Corp.

I sailed on the Splendor the week before the incident. I always wondered what all the hype was about John, but I found out. He was so funny I never laughed so hard as when he M.C.'d shows. He was also caring and very much in charge. We had an emergency on our cruise, tiny in comparison, but one that needed to be handled and he was a firm leader in that event and alerted us of the changes in a caring way. When I heard about the Splendor incident on Monday I thought the passengers were fortunate indeed that he was the CD. I hope to cruise with him again soon.

I hate to admit this, but I had never read much of John's blog until this recent incident on the Splendor. Reading the first 3 episodes and then listening to both John and Gerry Cahill address the crew was an eye-opener. I am one of the lucky ones who does have 2 cruises scheduled with John on the Magic. I'm hoping that on the transatlantic, I will have a chance to meet him and compliment him in person for the way he handled this situation.

Here is a youtube video of John's announcement to the passengers Monday morning. http://www.youtube.com/user/AKcharger

Can't wait to read the rest of his story.

Good find. Here's another video of the end of the announcement that doesn't cut off before he sounds the alarm:

Haha at the end "I think that was SOS, yeah."

I was on that cruise and he did a fantastic job of reassuring everyone and keeping everyone up to date with what was happening. Unfortunately, because he was on the bridge all the time he was just a voice and I never did get to actually see him. Kudos to him and the fantastic crew on this ill-fated voyage.

One day this week, somebody being interviewed on New York's Fox 5 news about the Splendor situation, credited CD John Heald with making a bad situation bearable (SP?). Kudos to John, Captain and crew. I don't remember exactally what was said, but the whole handling of the situation was supposedly best that could have been expected.

I sailed on the Carnival Dream in Feb. '10. John Heald was the cruise director. We left the cruise with the impression that he was the best CD we ever had the pleasure of having on a cruise. He is so involved with just about everything. I have kept up with his blog since our cruise and even before it when he was keeping us up to date on the building of the Dream.

For all the folks that endured the Splendor accident, be happy he was the CD. His presence I would imagine was irreplaceble. He is very good at what he does, and really just a decent person. I hope to sail with him again in the future.

Jon

Looking for that like button again-wish we had one. I agree 100%

I agree, we've been on a few cruises with John and he has the right knack for what he does. We just got off the Spirit, and I don't think I could have hacked Jen's voice coming over that intercom every 5 minutes during a situation like the Splendor.

I had heard so much about John...but never had the pleasure of his CDship on a cruise....from reading his blog....he was wonderful....and people were saying the same on the interviews....

I kept thinking of Malcolm whoo whooing every few minutes...

I hate to admit this, but I had never read much of John's blog until this recent incident on the Splendor. Reading the first 3 episodes and then listening to both John and Gerry Cahill address the crew was an eye-opener. I am one of the lucky ones who does have 2 cruises scheduled with John on the Magic. I'm hoping that on the transatlantic, I will have a chance to meet him and compliment him in person for the way he handled this situation.

Hey Ann... would you mind if DJ and I hide in the suitcase for the TA .... :D

James Andrew (or is it Andrew James?) from a 2004 cruise on Explorer of the Seas, I feel would have handled the situation well. Grant Seymore (Princess Line?) too. Obviously John Heald of Carnival was amazing. Of 6 or 7 other cruises I have been on... I don't know. I would not bet on it anyway.

Yes, a Cruise Director is much more important than I previously would have thought or even remotly imagined.

Jon

Archived