Ukulele classes on the Golden Princess to Hawaii

Waimea'sMom

Hi, I just have a quick question for anyone who has done the ukulele lessons on the Golden (or maybe Dave from Elua will see this)...

I have sailed this itinerary before and actually got the ukulele bug from the shipboard ukulele lessons. Two years later, I'm a self admitted uke addict, and I now always travel with my favorite ukulele. I actually took it onboard with me the last time that I did this itinerary last year as well.

My question is this (and for non-uke players who have no idea what I'm talking about I apologize)...has anyone played a low-g tuned ukulele in the classes before? When I played my own uke last year onboard, it was tuned traditionally in the high g tuning (the "My dog has fleas" tuning where the G string is higher than the C string). I now no longer play that way and have begun playing only the low g tuning exclusively.

I don't want to cause any distractions by playing the low g tuned uke in class, as I understand that most of the people are new players and that might prove to be quite confusing for those seated near me if they hear my uke tuned lower. That being said, I don't want to change the string on my instrument just for this cruise. I was contemplating bringing an additional high g tuned uke with me just for the purposes of attending the lessons, but that seems like a waste since I would never play it in my free time, it would be only for the classes-- even though I'm driving, not flying, to the pier.

I know they have a minimum number of ukuleles available for the people in class, but I've gotten to where I'm really more comfortable with the feel and sound of my own ukes (especially as I don't usually play the traditional soprano size offered onboard). So, that is a really long winded way of just asking, has anyone played a low g tuned uke that they brought or bought in the classes?

I knew my ears were burning!! I actually use a low G when I instruct the classes...never causes a problem. I am switching up this Hilo to high G again, as I do all my soloing on the steel guitar now, so I want to go back to that "uke sound". Looking forward to seeing you.

Dave

Archived