David Cole and the team of Elua

wilfros

Hi;

I understand that David Cole is the cruise director, and a very good one at that, especially for the Hawiian Cruise, but who is Elua?

All post threads about Hawaii and the Golden Princess always refer to David and Elua. Who is Elua and what role does this/these person(s) play?

We are getting excited about our March Cruise and we know that David Cole will be on board for that cruise so we are happy. Now if I could just figure out the rest.

Looking forward to you input.

As always, thanks in advance.

Hi;

I understand that David Cole is the cruise director, and a very good one at that, especially for the Hawiian Cruise, but who is Elua?

All post threads about Hawaii and the Golden Princess always refer to David and Elua. Who is Elua and what role does this/these person(s) play?

We are getting excited about our March Cruise and we know that David Cole will be on board for that cruise so we are happy. Now if I could just figure out the rest.

Musical entertainers onboard the Golden.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

My DW and I will be going in March as well. Elua are a couple. They are musicians and are from the islands. They also lead the lei making class, hula class, and Uke class...and add to the cultural influence aboard the ship. They (and Davis Cole) are why we picked the Golden over the Sapphire. We can't wait because from what I have researched they are an incredible combination.;) We can't wait!

Edited by bozemanman

My DW and I will be going in March as well. Elua are a couple. They are musicians and are from the islands. They also lead the lei making class, hula class, and Uke class...and add to the cultural influence aboard the ship. They (and Davis Cole) are why we picked the Golden over the Sapphire. We can't wait because from what I have researched they are an incredible combination.;) We can't wait!

David Cole will be on vacation & replaced by David Bradshaw who joins the ship in Honolulu during the current cruise. Hopefully it won't be too much of a drop off in enjoying a cruise full of Hawaiiana experiences. When we sailed the Regal in 2004 we were disappointed that it wasn't more of a Hawaiian cultural experience...too generic & like any other cruise. But apparently that's being done now & hopefully it will continue until David Cole returns after the 1st of the year. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi;

Elua is a wonderful duo...........one of our very favorite couples, we have enjoyed many hours with them when they played in the Wheelhouse on other Princess ships............they now do the hawaii run (which we don't) and as well as playing on deck do the hawaii cultural things, lei making, uke lessons etc.............they are full of Aloha

Perhaps, with ELUA onboard, and even with the substitue CD, the Hawaiian themed activities will be business as usual. ELUA plays such a huge role in the Hawaiian programming, as I understand it, because they and David Cole collaborated in developing it.

I believe ELUA are husband and wife ..... David (not Cole) and Leialoha.

Perhaps, with ELUA onboard, and even with the substitue CD, the Hawaiian themed activities will be business as usual. ELUA plays such a huge role in the Hawaiian programming, as I understand it, because they and David Cole collaborated in developing it.

This is very true! We were onboard over Christmas last year and were very disappointed to know that David Cole would be on vacation as we have been so impressed with him in the past. But in his absence, the schedule he developed was kept in place, his CD staff did a great job keeping the energy up and Elua was key in keeping the Aloha spirit going. We missed David Cole and the replacement CD sure wasn't as great, but it seemed like he was still there in spirit. We are going to miss him again this year but we are confident that with Elua and rest of his team, we will still have as much fun as we did last year!

I have heard dave (ELUA) call his wife both Leialoha and Faline (sp?) She was born in Hawaii and he in Texas (i hope I remember that right) and together they are everything Hawaii.

David Cole the Cruise Director, is a walking treasure chest of good island information and gives the port talks for each stop. This trio is why we did not hesitate to book this trip again.

If you happen to be on Facebook, you can also check out their page. Not a lot on it yet but there's video of Dave on the steel guitar and a few photos of them aboard ship.

Can't wait for my turn in March :D!!

Aloha Kakou,

Greetings from just outside Hilo on the BI...our favorite place to be. As I write, unfortunately, it's a little rainy out, but that is nothing unusual for this side of the BI..as we always tell people the 'ua is what gives the BI it's beauty. So, to the questions at hand. To clear things up, Elua is the name of our duo. This may have started on CC as I normally would sign my name David and then under it, put Elua, so maybe people started thinking I was signing for both me and my wife. So, my name is David (Kawika in Hawaiian) and my wife is Leialoha, (Faline is her given first name) and together we are called Elua, which is the Hawaiian word for two. Mike has heard me call her both names, as both are absolutely correct, but for the most part, she goes by Leialoha. (That means "garland of love" in Hawaiian). We did indeed develop the program onboard, in 2008 along with David Cole, when we saw a need to give the guests more of a cultural experience, relating to things Hawaiian on their way to the islands, as well as on the return journey. Leialoha is originally from O'ahu, (Kaneohe) and I am originally from outside of Boston, although for the past few years our home has been on cruise ships, and when not on ships, we spend the majority of our down time visiting family...and usually spending most of it in Honoka'a on the BI. Onboard, there are lei making classes, lectures from ourselves, David Cole and the onboard naturalist, Hawaii themed movies, sarong tying, Hawaiian themed crafting, hula dancing, (instructed by Leialoha), ukulele classes (instructed by myself and David Cole) and some very informative port talks that really give you a lot of information about the islands. We also perform music by the pool, and in the Piazza, and I also perform frequently throughout the cruise alone on Hawaiian steel guitar....my favorite instrument. We are always evaluating and refining the program and presentations, so there might be some changes when you are onboard, but we always endeavor to give our guests the best possible experience to get them excited about, what for many, is a once in a lifetime trip. The Hawaiian islands are a very special place, and one that we are very happy and proud to call home. We look forward to seeing many of you onboard for the first time....and many of you for a return visit....or in some cases visitS. We tend to see many of our guests again and again.

Aloha Nui,

Dave Soreff

Elua

Aloha Kakou,

Greetings from just outside Hilo on the BI...our favorite place to be. As I write, unfortunately, it's a little rainy out, but that is nothing unusual for this side of the BI..as we always tell people the 'ua is what gives the BI it's beauty. So, to the questions at hand. To clear things up, Elua is the name of our duo. This may have started on CC as I normally would sign my name David and then under it, put Elua, so maybe people started thinking I was signing for both me and my wife. So, my name is David (Kawika in Hawaiian) and my wife is Leialoha, (Faline is her given first name) and together we are called Elua, which is the Hawaiian word for two. Mike has heard me call her both names, as both are absolutely correct, but for the most part, she goes by Leialoha. (That means "garland of love" in Hawaiian). We did indeed develop the program onboard, in 2008 along with David Cole, when we saw a need to give the guests more of a cultural experience, relating to things Hawaiian on their way to the islands, as well as on the return journey. Leialoha is originally from O'ahu, (Kaneohe) and I am originally from outside of Boston, although for the past few years our home has been on cruise ships, and when not on ships, we spend the majority of our down time visiting family...and usually spending most of it in Honoka'a on the BI. Onboard, there are lei making classes, lectures from ourselves, David Cole and the onboard naturalist, Hawaii themed movies, sarong tying, Hawaiian themed crafting, hula dancing, (instructed by Leialoha), ukulele classes (instructed by myself and David Cole) and some very informative port talks that really give you a lot of information about the islands. We also perform music by the pool, and in the Piazza, and I also perform frequently throughout the cruise alone on Hawaiian steel guitar....my favorite instrument. We are always evaluating and refining the program and presentations, so there might be some changes when you are onboard, but we always endeavor to give our guests the best possible experience to get them excited about, what for many, is a once in a lifetime trip. The Hawaiian islands are a very special place, and one that we are very happy and proud to call home. We look forward to seeing many of you onboard for the first time....and many of you for a return visit....or in some cases visitS. We tend to see many of our guests again and again.

Aloha Nui,

Dave Soreff

Elua

We will be sailing on the Golden for the 9/28/11 cruise. Do you know if all 3 of you will be onboard for that cruise. Hopefully none of you will be on vacation as we've heard so many positives things about the Hawaiin experience from you all and would be very disappointed to miss David Cole as well as Elua.

Pam

Aloha Kakou,

Aloha Nui,

Dave Soreff

Elua

Dave,

Will you be on NEXT November (2011) or is this your vacation time each year?

Edited by Cruisers from WA

We so much wanted to do this cruise over Christmas 2011 but unfortunately Heather cannot get a few extra days off as she works in a school. Sounds like we are missing out on something special. Hoping the school holiday dates in 2012 work out better and we can get to do this cruise.

Dave,

Will you be on NEXT November (2011) or is this your vacation time each year?

The person leaving on vacation (and was also on vacation this time last year too) is actually David Cole the Cruise Director, not Dave of Elua. They will be onboard through the holidays and into next year. Of course I can't answer for next year, but I will say we have very much enjoyed Elua - both their music and classes - on our previous Christmas cruises to Hawaii.

Weren't you two on the Sea Princess over the 4th of July cruise this summer to Alaska? Looking forward to taking some classes with you both on the 11/24 cruise coming up.

Cruisin Oldies

Yes that was Elua! We were on the Sea Princess at the end of July and were so pleased to find them entertaining in the Wheelhouse!

Aloha,

As far as I know, Leialoha and I will be back for the 2011-12 season on the Golden...no offer has been tendered yet, but we really can't see it NOT happening. As far as David Cole, he will be on vacation for the beginning of the 2011-12 season, and as far as he knows, will not be back until at least November...probably the first three cruises. I believe the CD for the start of the season will be Kelvin Joy...although as always, I never really know 100% until I see someone walking up the gangway. Hope this helps.

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

David - We absolutely love the sounds of Elua, and the great program you, Feline, and David Cole have developed for the Golden Hawaii cruises. Surely hope Princess is planning to have similarly talented people on their Sapphire cruises coming up. DH took your Uke lessons, bought a Uke in Honolulu, and has been playing in a small group here at home in our neighborhood. I sat in on your lesson sessions and was amazed at how you had that group playing and singing in such a short time - and sounding good too! You all add much Aloha and IMO are one main reason why the RT Hawaii cruises have become so popular. Now, if only Princess would bring back Kona as a port stop:) DH and I send best wishes to you, and thank you for keeping us up to date by communicating here on Cruise Critic.

Aloha Kakou,

Greetings from just outside Hilo on the BI...

Aloha Nui,

Dave Soreff

Elua

WOW!!! Who would have expected this!!

Thanks for the reply. We will be on board for the March 2nd cruise 2011 and we are getting really excited. Very much looking forward to meeting you both, and the rest of the team.

Wilfros

Aloha,

As far as I know, Leialoha and I will be back for the 2011-12 season on the Golden...no offer has been tendered yet, but we really can't see it NOT happening. As far as David Cole, he will be on vacation for the beginning of the 2011-12 season, and as far as he knows, will not be back until at least November...probably the first three cruises. I believe the CD for the start of the season will be Kelvin Joy...although as always, I never really know 100% until I see someone walking up the gangway. Hope this helps.

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

Thanks so much for the update! It's great to hear that you both will be onboard with us. We look forward to learning some Hawaiin culture with you. As much as we'll miss meeting David Cole, we've heard great things about Kelvin so we look forward to him being CD. Guess we'll have to plan another Hawaiin cruise on Golden when David Cole will be the CD!

Pam

Aloha,

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

Do I understand this to mean David Cole will NOT be aboard the Golden for the April 25, 2012 sailing?