Sojourn Internet Usage

BristolGolfer

We are on the Sojourn World Cruise from LAX to Rome in January & will be taking the Internet package for the whole trip.

I use my laptop with Skype (a voice over IP service) which allows me to keep in voice contact (for free) when there is an Internet connection of course.

I do turn off webcam as this really hogs any bandwidth & slows the Internet service for other users.

Anyone else used Skype whilst on board?

I used skype on a Sojourn cruise in Sept. The Satellite provider would bar access to skype when bandwith was in short supply. This could last for a few hours to a couple of days, but eventually I would be able to use it. Seabourn had no control over this. I would have to say that overall the connection was much better than I had hoped for, but it is expensive. I took the package for the cruise duration which cost $400.00

I used skype on a Sojourn cruise in Sept. The Satellite provider would bar access to skype when bandwith was in short supply. This could last for a few hours to a couple of days, but eventually I would be able to use it. Seabourn had no control over this. I would have to say that overall the connection was much better than I had hoped for, but it is expensive. I took the package for the cruise duration which cost $400.00

How long was your Sojourn cruise (i.e. how many days for $400)?

• 9 months later...
How long was your Sojourn cruise (i.e. how many days for $400)?

Just about to join Sojourn for 27 days so would be keen to know the answer to this question?

On P&O World cruise 2010 we had a pacakge of so many hours for a certain fee, which generally worked out at around 4 mins for a pound. how does this compare?

Thanks for any responses!

When we returned from our 14 day trip on the Pride in May/June, I did very well with the internet costs. However, I did use Skype, only in wireless places on land which were fairly easy to use. I did not take my laptop but my IPad instead. Went to the computer room to get my $9,99 package for 60 minutes, to be used at anytime. The computer 'guru' put the Seabourn icon on my screen and set me up. Bear in mind the first minute is free. So......in our suite or whereever, I would hit the icon, check in, hit my mail and it downloaded very fast. Went offline as soon as downloaded. Read my email, deleted and answered whatever needed to be off line. Pressed send for each answered email, although it doesn't go at that time. Went back on line with icon and check in and hear my mail 'flying' away. Then back to offline mode. For fourteen days I used that one hour. But then I didn't surf internet etc - only used if for mail and skype on land at wireless places. Am going again on Sojourn next week and plan on only IPad and no computer. I know this will not work for a world cruise as you are gone a long time but is a thought for shorter cruises to meet email needs.

Our World Package (111 days) was $399 for unlimited useage - it turned out to be the right option as the Internet services was s..l..o..w.. and there were many complaints.

They did however upgrade the service mid cruise and it did improve a bit.

If you've any business needs or need to keep in touch with family & friends take the $399 'loyalty package'

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

I am on the Sojourn now, and we have 4 different packages. Stay in touch: $ 0.40 per minute. Frequent explorer: $ 9.99 for an hour. Always connected: $ 234.00 for 7 consecutive days of unlimited usage. Loyalty package: $ 399.99 for unlimited access for the entire stay. I choose the Always connected, as I need to work on internet frequently. I think this is a very reasonable price, comparing to packages on some other lines.

When we returned from our 14 day trip on the Pride in May/June, I did very well with the internet costs. However, I did use Skype, only in wireless places on land which were fairly easy to use. I did not take my laptop but my IPad instead. Went to the computer room to get my $9,99 package for 60 minutes, to be used at anytime. The computer 'guru' put the Seabourn icon on my screen and set me up. Bear in mind the first minute is free. So......in our suite or whereever, I would hit the icon, check in, hit my mail and it downloaded very fast. Went offline as soon as downloaded. Read my email, deleted and answered whatever needed to be off line. Pressed send for each answered email, although it doesn't go at that time. Went back on line with icon and check in and hear my mail 'flying' away. Then back to offline mode. For fourteen days I used that one hour. But then I didn't surf internet etc - only used if for mail and skype on land at wireless places. Am going again on Sojourn next week and plan on only IPad and no computer. I know this will not work for a world cruise as you are gone a long time but is a thought for shorter cruises to meet email needs.

Dear DD...thanks for the tip! That is what we will do with the IPad!!! Great idea.

When you get to a port take you laptop or i pad off the ship and find a hot spot. There are plenty of free ones. The crew goes to the bow and looks for a free unsecured site. Not my recommendation. I have always found a wifi in the lobby free at a good hotel in the area. If you have an I pad with wifi it works. 3g off the ship will not work at all.

Archived