Another great Legend cruise! Nov 7-14

Irishlinny

We just returned from our third cruise on the wonderful Legend, and once again, it did not disappoint! I will only do a mini-review because when we get on a ship, it's much more for relaxation than activities.

We flew Jet Blue on Saturday (love that airline!) and were meeting up with our 2 friends who we had met as tablemates on the Legend in 2007 (they are from Washington). Stayed at the Mainsail Suites...great choice! We got a 2 bedroom/2 bath suite complete with kitchen, dining and living room. Ended up costing about $60 per couple. Very clean, nicely landscaped, pool, hot tub, restaurant/bar, and excellent service. The shuttle picks you up from the airport and will take you to nearby stores (based upon availability). It will also take you to the port the next day, but we opted for a cab since we wanted to leave earlier than the shuttle.

Arrived at the port around 10:45 and were on the ship around 11:45. Getting on that ship is like going home for us...just love it! Immediately headed to the aft Lido (my favorite spot) for the first DOD!

At around 1:45 we headed down to our cabin (7258) to have a look at our really long balcony. I expected it to be about the size of our suite balcony we had on the Miracle in May, but it was longer by about another 8 feet! There is a storage area next to this cabin, so you end up getting the whole balcony behind it;)

th_P1000096.jpg?t=1289952377

This was an excellent cabin (I believe there are only 3 on the ship) and the location was perfect. It's right around the corner from the aft elevator, so straight shot up to aft Lido or down to the restaurant...loved it! No noise from the elevator or from the crew using the storage room.

We spent the day relaxing since we are already very familiar with the ship. Stayed on the balcony for sailaway.

Our friends wanted early dining (we prefer Your Time), so we went for dinner at 6. Usually early dining is on deck 2, but since there were so many who wanted it, we ended up on deck 3, way in the back corner. Not my favorite location, but our waiters were wonderful. 3 of us had the Lasagna Bolognese and it was delicious!! I won't recount every dinner, but we all ordered a variety of dishes and nobody was disappointed with anything all week. Sure beats what we make for dinner at home!

We still enjoy the songs and dances the waiters do, and these guys really had a great time with it.

After dinner we just hung out on aft Lido...I love it back there at nite...usually very quiet. When DH went back to the cabin, I headed to the Piano Bar. Roger Concepcion was playing...very good, alot of fun, not a "piano whore". I only went back there one more nite, however, because a couple of the pax decided they owned the place, so it became less appealing:(

For some unknown reason, the Legend changed the order of 2 of our ports for this trip (not storm related, so no clue why). Of course I headed to Guest Services and demanded a full refund...nah, just kidding:p It actually ended up being a good change because now we would be in Roatan from 11-6 rather than 8-3...much better! I scurried off to the Internet Cafe (which I have never used on a ship) to try to rearrange my independent shore excursions for Roatan and Coz. Then I checked my email again about 6 hours later and we were all set.

As I said, when we get on the ship, it is much more about relaxing than activities, so I don't have alot to report about what went on around the ship. Our friends went to 2 shows and liked them. However, they said the late nite comedian was not really very funny, so we decided not to try to see him.

Will continue with what we did in ports in a bit....

We have done the swim with the stingrays before, but since our friends missed it the first cruise, we did it again. We used Moby Dick tours and they were great! Informative and personable...good crew. The first time we did this, many of the tours had been cancelled due to wind and rough seas (typical of Grand Cayman), so there weren't many boats or people at the sand bar. Not so this time! But it wasn't too bad and there were plenty of rays to go around. It is an awesome, although a bit unnerving, excursion, but I highly recommend it for the experience. Very different being with them in the wild. They are very patient and gentle and seem to enjoy being touched and held.

th_P1000136.jpg?t=1290015749

We spent about 45 minutes with the rays and then went a short distance away for snorkeling. We opted not to snorkel because it was pretty rough that day, but most people took part.

th_P1000142.jpg?t=1290015749

On the way back to the port, we noticed black smoke which seemed to be around our ship:eek:

th_P1000150.jpg?t=1290016121

Fortunately it was coming from something on land that was in front of our ship, but a little unnerving after hearing news of the Splendor!

When we arrived back at the port, we opted to get back on the ship because we had 6 ships in port with us, so was a bit crazy:eek:

It was really a nice change to be able to have a relaxing morning and not have to get off the ship at 8 am like we usually do for Roatan! And it also allowed us to miss the morning downpour...win win!

This was our first time coming into Carnival's new port...wow, what a change. When we first came here in 07, we got off on a simple concrete pier with nothing around. When you left the dock area, there was a set of bleachers where the local tour guides sat, and a number of shacks where the locals sold souvenirs. As rough and poor as it was, that is what made us fall in love with this island...it was not a built-up tourism center...it was just what the island was. Now granted, the new port area is very pleasing to the eye, but it is also just part of the cookie-cutter ports that we see everywhere. Makes me sad. I just hope that it improves the lives of some of the locals by providing jobs, etc.

th_P1000163.jpg?t=1290016121

th_P1000175.jpg?t=1290016131

th_P1000177.jpg?t=1290016148

th_P1000278.jpg?t=1290018130

th_P1000281.jpg?t=1290018130

th_P1000275.jpg?t=1290018130

It was really a nice change to be able to have a relaxing morning and not have to get off the ship at 8 am like we usually do for Roatan! And it also allowed us to miss the morning downpour...win win!

This was our first time coming into Carnival's new port...wow, what a change. When we first came here in 07, we got off on a simple concrete pier with nothing around. When you left the dock area, there was a set of bleachers where the local tour guides sat, and a number of shacks where the locals sold souvenirs. As rough and poor as it was, that is what made us fall in love with this island...it was not a built-up tourism center...it was just what the island was. Now granted, the new port area is very pleasing to the eye, but it is also just part of the cookie-cutter ports that we see everywhere. Makes me sad. I just hope that it improves the lives of some of the locals by providing jobs, etc.

th_P1000163.jpg?t=1290016121

th_P1000175.jpg?t=1290016131

th_P1000177.jpg?t=1290016148

th_P1000278.jpg?t=1290018130

th_P1000281.jpg?t=1290018130

th_P1000275.jpg?t=1290018130

Loving your review!!!! We will be on her 12/5/2010. Two weeks from this Sunday and cannot wait. We will be in 7176 - Verandah deck with balcony - close to but not exactly mid ship. I love to read reviews and as we have not been to Roatan am especially looking forward to going there. My DH and I have an island tour booked with Victor Bodden and hope to get to Coxen Hole and then to off the beaten track places. I am saving my shopping for here - I hope to get a cameo or two and then some local art. We try to support the locals without much money going to the cruise lines or the politicians - on another note - where in Ireland did your family come from? Mine came from Templemore in County Tipperary and my DH and I have been blessed with 3 trips over since 2002. Got to go now. Look forward to reading more of your review.

As I said, this is our favorite port. The scenery with the jungle of the mountains overlooking the ocean is just breathtaking! The beaches are beautiful and the people are friendly.

We decided to book a day with Victor Bodden again...he runs a great outfit. I am going to tell you, if you are not in good shape (like me!), that hill to get out of the complex to meet your independent tour is a real challenge. Not only do you have to climb the steep road, but you then go down the other side, kiliing a whole different set of muscles!!! Supposedly if someone in your party cannot do the hill. the others can go ahead and get the tour guide and THEN they can drive into the complex to pick the person up. I think this was a lousy thing for Carnival to do...trying to trap people into doing Carnival excursions....grrrr! But we're stubborn and we conquered the hill! (Granted, my legs reminded me they were not happy for 2 days after, though! LOL!)

OK, so on with the day....our driver's name was Marty and he was awesome!! Spoke English very well and gave us all sorts of info as we drove around. Our friends wanted to see the monkeys at Victor Bodden's house so we headed there first (the driver will take you anywhere you want to go during the day). We had done this before and there were 2 baby monkeys...not much to see. I was amazed when we pulled up...Victor has built a whole little sanctuary for rescued animals, with huge cages and kids as your tour guides! You pay $5/per person and they let you go in most of the cages and interact with the animals. Monkeys, gorgeous parrots, anteaters, deer...very nice! And we finally got to meet Victor as well...a very sweet man.

th_P1000199.jpg?t=1290017915

th_P1000197.jpg?t=1290017915

th_P1000215.jpg?t=1290018023

th_P1000231.jpg?t=1290018112

th_P1000243.jpg?t=1290018112

th_P1000187.jpg?t=1290016148

That was alot of fun, and of course my blonde friend decided she wanted a monkey. What was very cool is we got to see the monkeys who we held as babies back in 07, and they are the parents of the babies we help this time...I love stuff like that!

So we left Victor's house and headed off to the beach. We had all intentions of going out to Tabayana. On the way, Marty asked if we wanted to see his home where he had grown up...sure! So he takes us to this little area which was tucked away and showed us his home, his school and church. As we're rounding the bend, he tells us this is Half Moon Bay and has the best snorkeling. Just so happened it was the beach our friends had found their first time in Roatan, but couldn't remember the name. They were so excited we decided to stay there. It's a funky little out-of-the-way beach...very rustic, which made it neat. But I wouldn't recommend it as a nice swimming beach by any means...good if you want to snorkel or dive. Unfortunately DH and my snorkels leaked so we gave up after a short while. I will admit, I really missed being at the West Bay beaches...it is just so beautiful over there. Guess we will just have to go another time! Here are some pics of Half Moon Bay...

th_P1000255.jpg?t=1290018125

th_P1000264.jpg?t=1290018125

th_P1000265.jpg?t=1290018125

th_P1000262.jpg?t=1290018125

And a view from the top of the mountain (which doesn't even do the view justice)

th_P1000269.jpg?t=1290018130

Then it was time to head back to the ship. In my opinion, unless you really need to save money, don't go to Mahogany Bay Beach. It's man-made and cookie cutter. The chairs are plentiful and close together...allows them to pack em in. If you can afford it, take a tour and get out on this gorgeous island. The West Bay beaches are beautiful and you get to see all the scenery getting there.

When we returned, we stopped near the other cruise port and there were little local shops across the street. I love giving the locals my money!

The real world beckons...have to take the kiddo to the dentist...ugh! Will continue later!

Tell us more, tell us more!!!!!!! I will be on the Legend in Dec the 5th I can't stop thinking about it............ I gots the channel fever!!!!!!

We are doing Moby Dicks as well as Ricky Bodden tours. I'm glad you posted pics of the other side of the island. I can't wait until my parents get to experience the beauty of the islands like you all did and past cruisers as well.

Thank you,

B

We just returned from our third cruise on the wonderful Legend, and once again, it did not disappoint! I will only do a mini-review because when we get on a ship, it's much more for relaxation than activities.

We flew Jet Blue on Saturday (love that airline!) and were meeting up with our 2 friends who we had met as tablemates on the Legend in 2007 (they are from Washington). Stayed at the Mainsail Suites...great choice! We got a 2 bedroom/2 bath suite complete with kitchen, dining and living room. Ended up costing about $60 per couple. Very clean, nicely landscaped, pool, hot tub, restaurant/bar, and excellent service. The shuttle picks you up from the airport and will take you to nearby stores (based upon availability). It will also take you to the port the next day, but we opted for a cab since we wanted to leave earlier than the shuttle.

Arrived at the port around 10:45 and were on the ship around 11:45. Getting on that ship is like going home for us...just love it! Immediately headed to the aft Lido (my favorite spot) for the first DOD!

At around 1:45 we headed down to our cabin (7258) to have a look at our really long balcony. I expected it to be about the size of our suite balcony we had on the Miracle in May, but it was longer by about another 8 feet! There is a storage area next to this cabin, so you end up getting the whole balcony behind it;)

th_P1000096.jpg?t=1289952377

This was an excellent cabin (I believe there are only 3 on the ship) and the location was perfect. It's right around the corner from the aft elevator, so straight shot up to aft Lido or down to the restaurant...loved it! No noise from the elevator or from the crew using the storage room.

We spent the day relaxing since we are already very familiar with the ship. Stayed on the balcony for sailaway.

Our friends wanted early dining (we prefer Your Time), so we went for dinner at 6. Usually early dining is on deck 2, but since there were so many who wanted it, we ended up on deck 3, way in the back corner. Not my favorite location, but our waiters were wonderful. 3 of us had the Lasagna Bolognese and it was delicious!! I won't recount every dinner, but we all ordered a variety of dishes and nobody was disappointed with anything all week. Sure beats what we make for dinner at home!

We still enjoy the songs and dances the waiters do, and these guys really had a great time with it.

After dinner we just hung out on aft Lido...I love it back there at nite...usually very quiet. When DH went back to the cabin, I headed to the Piano Bar. Roger Concepcion was playing...very good, alot of fun, not a "piano whore". I only went back there one more nite, however, because a couple of the pax decided they owned the place, so it became less appealing:(

For some unknown reason, the Legend changed the order of 2 of our ports for this trip (not storm related, so no clue why). Of course I headed to Guest Services and demanded a full refund...nah, just kidding:p It actually ended up being a good change because now we would be in Roatan from 11-6 rather than 8-3...much better! I scurried off to the Internet Cafe (which I have never used on a ship) to try to rearrange my independent shore excursions for Roatan and Coz. Then I checked my email again about 6 hours later and we were all set.

As I said, when we get on the ship, it is much more about relaxing than activities, so I don't have alot to report about what went on around the ship. Our friends went to 2 shows and liked them. However, they said the late nite comedian was not really very funny, so we decided not to try to see him.

Will continue with what we did in ports in a bit....

Glad to hear you had a good time, I'm on the Legend this spring and can't wait. It seems like this ship is getting a loyal following.....can't wait to experience it.

I am planning our next cruise on the Legend, how do you get those rooms with larger balconies? I havent noticed them under any of the extended or premium balcony options.

There are only 4 of them. 5236 is classified as 7A because there are lifeboats in front of it (but they don't obstruct your view out, only down)...that balcony is not as deep, though. The others are 6232 (8J) and 7258 & 8232 (8K). You may not see them come up if you're just seeing the available rooms on Carnival's site because they only show 10 per category. You would want to ask your PVP or travel agent if they are available:) We had the same category cabin as our friends, but the balcony was 3 times larger;)

Loving your review!!!! We will be on her 12/5/2010. Two weeks from this Sunday and cannot wait. We will be in 7176 - Verandah deck with balcony - close to but not exactly mid ship. I love to read reviews and as we have not been to Roatan am especially looking forward to going there. My DH and I have an island tour booked with Victor Bodden and hope to get to Coxen Hole and then to off the beaten track places. I am saving my shopping for here - I hope to get a cameo or two and then some local art. We try to support the locals without much money going to the cruise lines or the politicians - on another note - where in Ireland did your family come from? Mine came from Templemore in County Tipperary and my DH and I have been blessed with 3 trips over since 2002. Got to go now. Look forward to reading more of your review.

Victor runs an excellent business...we have used him twice. It's great to get off the beaten path because it is a very interesting island. And I am like you...all for supporting the locals!

I am ashamed to say I'm not sure where in Ireland my family came from originally:o I need to get there one day...if I could just get the cruise bug out of my system! LOL!

We have that same cabin, but not until next September! Do you have any other pictures of the balcony or the cabin itself?

The cabin is exactly like the pics of any of the balcony cabins you see on the website. I don't have any others, but if you put the cabin number into the search here, I know there are other pics...you just need to weed thru the threads to find them. It really was awesome!

Tell us more, tell us more!!!!!!! I will be on the Legend in Dec the 5th I can't stop thinking about it............ I gots the channel fever!!!!!!

We are doing Moby Dicks as well as Ricky Bodden tours. I'm glad you posted pics of the other side of the island. I can't wait until my parents get to experience the beauty of the islands like you all did and past cruisers as well.

Thank you,

B

You will love it, I'm sure! For us, it's the perfect size ship and we just love the open aft Lido deck. Staff is exceptional as well! We were very pleased with our tours, too!

Glad to hear you had a good time, I'm on the Legend this spring and can't wait. It seems like this ship is getting a loyal following.....can't wait to experience it.

Hope you have a great time! Yes, the Legend, and Spirit class ships in general have a very good rep, and for good reason! We were on the Miracle in May and loved that one, too. We are going on the Freedom in Nov just to get some different ports, but after experiencing the Destiny which is similar, I much prefer Spirit class:)

Real life beckons again, and there are no waiters to bring food:( But I promise to finish up this review tonite!

For Belize, we had booked a tour with Ecotours to do a snorkel/beach break at Bannister Island. We loved it there last year...was a lovely beach with a restaurant/bar and it was large. Unfortunately, hurricane Richard also had his eye on it and did significant damage to the beach, which caused it to close temporarily. They offered us the snorkel and beach break at Goff's Caye, but the island is tiny...no lounge chairs and no other facilities, so I cancelled.

We decided to wing it and maybe not even tender ashore. When the day got there, we thought we might take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker. Once we got into the port, we were unable to find the water taxi and something told me I had read that you had to go outside the fence to get it. Well,

we had gone outside the fence back in 07 and I really didn't want to do that again! Those people are seriously aggressive and I was in no mood. So we wandered around a bit and then went back to the ship. I'm not a fan of Belize unless you take a tour that gets you out of Belize City...don't even like the port area much...

The well-known Wet Lizard

th_P1000302.jpg?t=1290037902

th_P1000306.jpg?t=1290037902

th_P1000310.jpg?t=1290037902

Lack of pics pretty much sums up how we feel about this port...LOL! But if you do an excursion, it is much better!

For Cozumel we had planned to go to Nachi Cocom for the first time. We got off the ship and shopped around a little (something told me I wouldn't want to do it after a day of drinking on the beach!). We then caught a cab to Nachi (10-15 minute ride)...in Cozumel the cab prices are flat rates and the prices are all posted there. The rate to Nachi is $15 each way. Our friends had decided to go to the ruins...we wished they were with us.

Nachi was very nice and not crowded at all (they allow 100 people per day max). It's $49 all inclusive...lounges, any drinks, and a 3 course meal. I thought you went to the restaurant area to eat, but they actually bring the menus and food to your lounges! You get the same waiter for the day, and they are great. No way would I want to hoof back and forth over that sand all day...YIKES! The service was good, as was the food and the selection...we had more than enough to eat, for sure.

They also have a pool with swim-up bar and hot tub. I wanted to check out the swim up bar, but it was a little too rowdy over there. I figured if I could hear this drunk girl halfway down the beach, I really wouldn't enjoy being right next to her:eek:

We had a nice relaxing beach day, straight out of a Corona commercial...perfect way to end the cruise.

th_P1000326.jpg?t=1290037902

th_P1000325.jpg?t=1290037902

th_P1000330.jpg?t=1290037902

th_P1000339.jpg?t=1290037902

th_P1000342.jpg?t=1290037902

I am planning our next cruise on the Legend, how do you get those rooms with larger balconies? I havent noticed them under any of the extended or premium balcony options.

I called Carnival and asked which super long balconys were still available...they had 1 left and I grabbed it!! I also booked 6 months in advance which helped. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I heard thru the grapevine Carnival has changed these rooms from an 8k to a 9 something. I'm hoping it's just a horrible rumor so I've got my fingers crossed. I'd love to book this cabin again on a future cruise so time will tell.:p

Headed back on the ship. We were docked next to the Valor...she had been following us all week since our ports changed around. Got a look at the long balcony we secured for the Freedom next year...not as long as this one, but a good one nevertheless;) Can you tell I love my balconies?!?

It was really nice having the Valor around, especially at night...very pretty!

Our friends were one of the last ones on the ship...that ruins excursion is really LONG! Not a chance I would be climbing around in the heat (and I think she would not opt to do it again, but he had a great time). They didn't make it to dinner that night, so we had a table for 2. When we went up to our peaceful aft Lido after dinner, it was anything but quiet!! OMG, it never fails after a day in Cozumel, that there will be rowdy drunks...LOL! It was nuts back there...if the people watching wasn't so interesting, I would have had to bail.;)

Eventually they all headed out to places elsewhere and when I heard that the loudest one of all was headed to the piano bar, I knew I would not be going there:eek: Poor Roger!

We found our friends and enjoyed some drinks and lots of laughs and then retired back to the balcony.

The next morning was VERY quiet on the ship...no chair hogs, no lines at the breakfast buffet...it was great! Slowly people emerged throughout the day, but many were keeping a very low profile;):p

Some random points about the cruise...

We had very smooth seas the whole time...it was great.

They switched the last elegant evening from Friday to Thursday...not sure if that was due to the port changes or not.

The ship is in very good condition...the tiles gleam, as does the metal. They are always cleaning, painting and maintaining her.

Our steward did a great job, despite the fact it took 3 days to lay eyes on him.

The whole staff was wonderful...I actually think better than last year. I want to know what training they take to remember everyone's name...it always amazes me.

Food was very good. They made a good change for the morning buffet and now make the omelettes at the pizza station. So that allows the buffet lines to move along much more quickly. I still don't know why they don't use both grills at the deli...haven't seen them do that since 07...cutbacks, I guess. There was never TOO long a wait, except for the day that the 4 people in front of me ordered 3 or 4 sandwiches each:mad:

Never laid eyes on Weeeee Jimmy, but heard his announcements.

Ken Byrne was not the maitre d' on our sailing...not sure why. I was looking forward to hearing him sing.

So another great cruise has come and gone, and I am thankful that we are able to do this in our lives. I have no complaints at all...it always beats the stressful lives we lead! I am always thankful to the crew who works so hard, under less than good circumstances, and for so little.

Please feel free to ask any questions...I will be happy to answer if I can!

I called Carnival and asked which super long balconys were still available...they had 1 left and I grabbed it!! I also booked 6 months in advance which helped. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I heard thru the grapevine Carnival has changed these rooms from an 8k to a 9 something. I'm hoping it's just a horrible rumor so I've got my fingers crossed. I'd love to book this cabin again on a future cruise so time will tell.:p

I heard a rumor to that effect as well, but now with their new screwy booking engine, you don't really know what category a cabin is anymore:mad: However, if you go to the deck plans, the categories for these cabins are still the same. So hopefully they won't change!

Thank you for your wonderful review! I really enjoy reading about other cruisers adventures, and yours were great! Now, if October 2011 will just get here quickly, it will be our turn.

We are planning on going to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel, and Victor Bodden in Roatan. Have you ever been cave tubing in Belize? We want to try that, and would love to hear any comments you may have.

Thanks again for a fantastic review!

Thank you for your wonderful review! I really enjoy reading about other cruisers adventures, and yours were great! Now, if October 2011 will just get here quickly, it will be our turn.

We are planning on going to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel, and Victor Bodden in Roatan. Have you ever been cave tubing in Belize? We want to try that, and would love to hear any comments you may have.

Thanks again for a fantastic review!

You're welcome, and thank YOU for your kind words!

Good choices for Coz & Roatan! I have never done the cave tubing, but have heard very good things about it. Unfortunately I am very predictable when I cruise, and my excursions revolve around ocean, beach and critters:p

I hope you love the Legend as much as we do, and that you have a fantastic cruise!:D

Thanks for the review. We are going on our first cruise in March 2011, so I pass the time reading about other cruises on the Legend. Sounds like you had a great time...can't wait!

My pleasure! Wish I could have done a more comprehensive review, but we simply don't do that much on the ship:o This is a great ship for a cruise virgin...not overwhelmingly large and it's easier to navigate around.

If you haven't joined the Roll Call thread for your sailing yet, do that. If you get a decent roll call going, it really adds to the excitement building up to the cruise!;) Have a wonderful time!

Archived