where to stay in orlando??

JKW2010

Hi,

My husband and parents are going on the Norwegian Sun at the end of January from Port Canaveral. We fly into Orlando the day before and we will get to Orlando at about 2:00pm. The cruise shuttles don't go to Port canaveral until the day of the cruise (which will be the next day), so we need to stay in Orlando somewhere. We are planning on getting on the cruise shuttle back by the airport, so I'm wondering where a nice place to stay would be not too far from the airport, with a airport shuttle (because we aren't getting a rental car), and that might be in a neighborhood where we could find things to do for half of a day.. maybe within walking distance of shops or restaurants?

Where would you guys stay in Orlando for such a short amount of time without a car? Is the down town area a nice place?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

I wouldn't bother going downtown. It's away from the airport from where you are going, and personally I don't think there's a lot of excitement there. Just me personally. There are dozens of hotels on International Drive, which also houses dozens of more restaurants, shops, and "things to do". It's also not far from Universal Walk and some Disney things. However, what I'd recommend is staying out at the JW Marriott property in Grande Lakes. I was just there for 5 days and the property is amazing. It's just west of the airport along the main east/west expressway you'd take out to the ship. There are huge pools at both the JW Marriott and the adjoining Ritz Carlton, a golf course, a spa, and several restaurants. It's not near anything really, but if you get in late and will be leaving early, it's a great place to spend 16 hours.

http://www.grandelakes.com/

Last time in Orlando, we stayed just outside of Downtown Disney at

Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

12799 Apopka Vineland Rd, (also known as SR 535), Orlando, FL 32836

Very nice Hotel that didn't cost that much. Check tripadvisor rating for this hotel. It always does good in their ratings.

I live in Orlando. International Drive area is probably the best place to stay. It has restaurants, outlet Malls and has a trolley that can take you from your hotel for about $2. I would recommend the Marriott SeaWorld Residence Inn. Beautiful suite hotel with a full breakfast free. Check it out on Tripadvisor etc. Beautiful property about 15 minutes from the airport.

Are you paying for the cruise shuttle?

If so, for the same cost as the 4 of you taking a shuttle (or a cab from the airport to an Orlando hotel and back), you can probably rent a car from the airport and drive out to the port. An easy 45 minute drive and stay on the beach. Return the car in Cocoa Beach the next they. Some Cocoa Beach hotels and rental car places will provide transport to the ship.

Agree with either I-Drive or Downtown Disney. Lots of hotels in those areas. Downtown Disney would be my preference as it gives you a glimpse of Disney without paying any entrance fees (but they still get you on all the shops and restaurants). I Drive has too many trinket shops and touristy oddball places like gorilla mini-putting. But the Belz outlet mall at the end of the street is good if you want to make a few shopping runs.

Whatever you choose, I wouldn't plan on doing too much that night. I usually like to check into the hotel, relax for a bit, then find a place nearby to eat and maybe go for a walk afterwards. Still want to be in bed at a decent time to get ready for the cruise! Downtown Disney would be perfect for that. There's plenty of non-Disney hotels in the area that are reasonably priced. But beware you could overload yourself if you try to spend all night there (which you easily can).

I second (or third) the vote for Downtown Disney. Lots of fun to be had with theme restaurants, shops, entertainment, etc. I threw Grande Lakes out there because it's an amazing property and closer to the airport, but DD is great. I'd also consider a car because Orlando rentals are cheap and probably less expensive than a two way taxi ride from the airport to DD or Idrive.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are free hotel shuttles to International Drive, so you would need to hire a shuttle or take a taxi to get there. We have stayed at the Fairfield airport and also another hotel I can look up if you are interested, but even though they have free airport shuttles, they don't have much around them to do.

Personally, I would go to the port and stay overnight in Cape Canaveral. You could rent a car and return it at the port, or you could take one of the VERY many private shuttle companies. There are several hotels (like the Radisson at the Port and the Country Inn and Suites (my favorite) that have free shuttles to and from the port.

For our Sovereign of the Seas cruise, we booked a private shuttle with Sunrise FL transportation http://www.transportationflorida.com/ to take us to the Country Inn and Suites from the airport, then from the cruise ship back to the airport when we returned. We took the free shuttle that came with our hotel cruise package to the port. You can see the ships out some of the windows at the hotel when you get up in the morning. Its great.

Have a great trip.

Hi,

My husband and parents are going on the Norwegian Sun at the end of January from Port Canaveral. We fly into Orlando the day before and we will get to Orlando at about 2:00pm. The cruise shuttles don't go to Port canaveral until the day of the cruise (which will be the next day), so we need to stay in Orlando somewhere. We are planning on getting on the cruise shuttle back by the airport, so I'm wondering where a nice place to stay would be not too far from the airport, with a airport shuttle (because we aren't getting a rental car), and that might be in a neighborhood where we could find things to do for half of a day.. maybe within walking distance of shops or restaurants?

Where would you guys stay in Orlando for such a short amount of time without a car? Is the down town area a nice place?

Thanks!!

we live in south florida and our son is in school in orlando, we own the condo he lives in there. orlando is a very big name for many areas. we have stayed near the airport at the sheraton suites, it was nice enough, we have also stayed at the sheraton maitland which was also very nice and much less points. we are starwood members and use points everywhere. at the airport there is a big circle with many more then acceptable places to stay. there is marriott, hilton and many others. all seem fine. downtown is not anywhere near there (nw), the university is another direction(east), disney - universal etc are another direction (sw) and the port is nowhere near orlando probably a good 30-45 minutes at least(way east). downtown is also not somewhere i think you would want to stay. you might consider finding the best deal at a hotel and renting an inexpensive rent a car from like alamo or some off company. there is really nothing with walking distance to anywhere except at the disney area. good luck... any question just post i will keep an eye.

wow.. thanks everyone. I have lots to think about! Downtown disney sounds like fun.. I've never been to a Disney park before.. and it would be fun to see. I'll also take a look at rental cars. Thanks for your help.. I'm even a little more confused now ;)

Downtown Disney is a great place to stay for a night. For a look at the various Downtown Disney hotels click here http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/ We have stayed at, and recommend the Buena Vista Palace and Hotel Royal Palace.

We also enjoy I-Drive for the many dining, shopping and entertainment options. However, I-Drive is a bit more spread out than Downtown Disney. I-Drive hotels that we have stayed at, would recommend are the Peabody http://www.peabodyorlando.com/ and the Rosen at Shingle Creek http://www.rosenshinglecreek.com/, which is actually off Universal Blvd.

Hi,

Thanks!!

There are hotels in Port Canaveral near the port and down in Cocoa Beach. If you're not using a cruise ship transfer, which is expensive, you can book a private shuttle like Travel Lynx and a good hotel, like th eRadisson or Country inn and Suites. Go to the "New I work in Port Canaveral" thread here for info on the area.

I used marriott's "best rate guaranteed". I booked 3 rooms at the country inn and suites orlando airport on marriott.com for $119 each. Then, I looked around for the best rate I could find. Found $53 on otel. Submitted a claim and....they changed the rate on our rooms at mariott.com to....$39.25 (25% off lower rate)!!! I am happy!!!!! I have used their best rate guarantee for 2 other cruises also. It takes a bit of work looking for that cheaper rate but.....is well worth it!

Archived