What cruise should we take?

rexalite

I am not sure what cruise to take- my husband is very finicky and we are travelling with a 2.5 year old. WHat is the best cruise line with good things to do for young kids and also more on the luxurious side for fussy husbands? We need a departure between the 26th of December and the 31st and 7 nights or less. Any recommendations? This would be my husband's first cruise, so I am wary of turning him off it forever!

I am not sure what cruise to take- my husband is very finicky and we are travelling with a 2.5 year old. WHat is the best cruise line with good things to do for young kids and also more on the luxurious side for fussy husbands? We need a departure between the 26th of December and the 31st and 7 nights or less. Any recommendations? This would be my husband's first cruise, so I am wary of turning him off it forever!

What is your husband finicky about? Food, atmosphere, what people wear, i.e., dress up is a must!, etc.

If it were me, I'd do Princess, but I'm a huge Princess fan. They have a great childrens program and the line isn't too fussy, but it's not super casual either.

I'd personally stay away from Carnival and NCL. I don't like either of those lines. RCCL has a lot to do on their ship, especially for kids, but they have a lot of people on their ships. Princess has a better space ratio.

HAL might be too old for you - you sound like a young couple. Celebrity might be a good fit, but I don't know anything about their kids programs.

If I were you I'd contact a cruise only agent or a auto membership club travel agent for help in finding the best cruise for your family with the time frame that you need.

Cruises and airfare during the holidays will be more expensive, so keep that in mind that you will be spending more money than the usual fare would cost at other times of the year. MSC has a cruise on 12/26 where kids sail free. Other lines you will be charged a 3rd person rate for your child.

There are some things to keep in mind when cruising with children. If your child isn't potty-trained, they won't be able to swim in the pools. Plus you will have bring diapers and wipes for your whole cruise. Your child won't be allowed in the Kid's Club at age 2 unless you cruise on Carnival. Royal Caribbean offers a daily play session with babies and toddlers. Princess will allow children into the kid's area at age 2 if you stay with them to supervise. Most lines don't offer in-cabin babysitting.

If you have any specific questions about cruising with children, go over to the Family Board.

Good luck with your search!

Beth

So far, only Oasis /Allure have programs for the under 3 group....so RCI may not be the right fit if you were planning on making use of the kid's club on the other ships. And, On RCI potty-training is a must if they are using the pools.

Go to a travel agency and pick up some brochures for the different cruise lines. Let finicky hubby go through them, and let HIM choose! That way, he has no one to blame but himself, if he finds something not to his liking!

Princess .......have a great childrens program and the line isn't too fussy, but it's not super casual either.

I'd personally stay away from Carnival and NCL. RCCL has a lot to do on their ship, especially for kids, but they have a lot of people on their ships. Princess has a better space ratio.

HAL might be too old for you - you sound like a young couple. Celebrity might be a good fit, but I don't know anything about their kids programs.

An excellent post, summarising the major US players for your circumstances.

But Martinchem's post has its merits too :D

John Bull

Archived