Walking Sticks On Ships

Aussie One

I took two cruises out of Southamton Celebrity Eclipse Spanish Med.

P&O Oriana 1st leg to Sanfransisco. whilst in England for two weeks between cruises I noticed sixteen people in the local high street where

using walking sticks.the Eclipse was about %96 brits the Oriana about %99 ive never seen so many sticks in use. a ships comedian said some stick users would leave there cabins at 4pm to get to the dining room for 6.30pm

when i stayed in Sanfrancisco i counted one stick this was in the main street he was obviouse a brit as he was wearing socks with sandles.

when in Sydney main street no walking sticks.i,m now in Perth and have only seen one stick this was in the Drs surgery please do not take umbrage at this post but do a stick count in your local high street.

Anser A A status symbol. B to get priority parking and seating.

C to get disability payments.D are they artharitic. this is a true observation so be carfull when on a cruse ship of being prodded with sticks maybe take out extra insurance to cover this.

Just be grateful you don't need a stick, i'll happy to give up my stick, also the constant pain i have in my whole body 24/7, lack of sleep i have, i am unable to work for 3 years just about to claim that i can't work and as i have left it so long i might not get anything ! I have no social life, I cruise as flying is imposable at the moment, I have a blue badge so i can get to the shops as each step hurts and wears me out, my mum is my carer and i still have to live at home. i try to do things to help myself all the time, ifor example i was having swimming therapy until the manager stop me.

just remember there are stories behind sticks !

We were on Oceana a couple of weeks ago and both remarked on the number of sticks around - and not just with elderly people.

I don't know why this was, but if it means that more people with mobility difficulties are feeling able to cruise, then it's a good thing. On the other hand, if it's representative of a general increase in walking stick use among the UK popuation, then it's a bit worrying as to why

Perhaps some use walking sticks as a fashion statement?!!

We heard a lovely story from a shool teacher lady on a recent holiday on Arcadia. She has been a member of an amateur dramatics group in Nottingham and had acted with, and known, another member for years. The school teacher was going on holiday and at East Midlands airport she bumped into this other member of the amateur dramatics group, but she was in a wheel chair. She immediately asked what was wrong and was told, " I always book a wheel chair when I go on holiday to get to the front of the queue"!

We were on Oceana last January and sailed three weeks after I had the plaster removed after breaking my ankle. I took a stick with me and used it all the time on board - and I needed it. I had been on crutches until a week before we sailed. Apart from needing it to lean on when standing still it also gave me confidence when walking around the ship on my own. Not that I could walk easily from one end of the ship to the other. In fact, I decided that as walking was so uncomfortable I did not leave the ship at all. I still had a fantastic cruise. In retrospect I should have tried to take a wheelchair but didn't think about that when I was able to walk about at home - using the stick.

So don't jump to conclusions about people using sticks!

Want a walking stick story with a difference?

We were recently on a cruise and in a crowded lift. we were about the last ones to squeeze in and the doors had almost closed when a walking stick was thrust in to stop the doors closing any further. Doors opened and another man managed to get in.

"Sorry about the method of holding the lift" he remarked.

It was then, that one of those replies came to me which are usually about half an hour later and the 'Wish I had thought of that at the time' mode kicks in.

As quick as a flash, I raised my voice to 'castrato' and said "That's OK. No problem"

The lift exploded in laughter :D

Mike

I am another who uses a stick intermittently, depending on the pain levels in my knees. I expect people thought I was a faker too when they saw me manage a waltz (just) one evening on Queen Elizabeth last month, and then limping with a stick another, but hey - lucky them not to need one at all!!

Archived