Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Ron_L

My wife and I cruised for the first time on Valor in April, 2009 (Western itinerary) for our 25th anniversary. We had a blast and my wife, who was skeptical going into the cruise even tells people that if she knew she would enjoy it so much we would have started 20 years ago!

So, I'm getting the itch to cruise again! I'm thinking about a Southern Caribbean itinerary or a different Western Caribbean itinerary, probably in April, 2011. I haven't even mentioned it to my wife yet :D

I'm thinking about these... Any thoughts?

Victory 7 day Southern on April 24th (San Juan - St. Thomas, USVI - Barbados - St. Lucia, WI, - St Kitts, WI - St. Maarten, NA - San Juan) (~$75/day, Ocean View) (Yeah, it's easter weekend, but the price is great)

Miracle 8 day southern on April 4th (Ft Lauderdale, FL - St. Maarten, NA - St. Lucia, WI - St Kitts, WI - Ft Lauderdale, FL) (~$94/day, Ocean View)

Freedom 8 day Western on April 9th (Ft Lauderdale, FL - Cozumel, Mexico - Limon, Costa Rica - Colon, Panama - Ft Lauderdale, FL) (~$83/day Ocean View)

I can get us to any of the ports using United miles, so the flight costs isn't an issue, but I'm not sure about the ports. Looking at the two Southern itineraries, we've been to St. Thomas so missing that port on the Miracle isn't a big deal, but how about Barbados?

On the western itinerary the only duplicate port is Cozumel, which we enjoyed off of the Valor so that's not a problem.

Any thoughts on those choices? Is April a good time for the Southern route? it looks like the college spring breaks will be done by then.

Thanks!

I went the first week of May this year and was thinking it sure is hot, but I did the "exotic western" which is what Carnival calls the belize and roatan cozumel itinerary. It was 90s already and steamy humid hot. The longer you wait to go the hoter it will be down by the equator if you are thinking soutern.

I love Roatan, and other than that I dont pick a cruise on ports, so the other Im probably no help. Iv seen Cozumel too many times to count to ever pick based on that port.

My personal choice would be the Victory, mainly because it's going to Barbados. We went twice the same week you're looking at and the weather was perfect. Everyone has their "spot", and Crane Beach is mine. It's not a "postcard" white sandy beach because it's on the east coast, and it's never been crowded. We have found the Bajans to be very lovely people. Another "must see" for us on Barbados is the North Point. The waves smashing against the cliffs there is quite a site. (Oh gosh, we've got to get back there!) Check out our pics from our Destiny cruises.

Haven't been to St. Lucia or St. Kitts.

On St. Maarten there's a lot to do and see right at the port, so it can be a very inexpensive day (or, if you're into shopping, a very expensive day!)

Sailing out of San Juan was a breeze (last time was in 2006 though so I don't know if things have changed).

Thanks for the feedback so far...

Any thoughts on the western route that includes Costa Rica and Panama?

Isnt that considered a southern route .. if you can afford a excursion to go thru the locks .. I would jump at the chance. Its a expensive excursion, but everyone says dont do panama unless you can do this. I think it might even run $300 pp.

Carnival takes you there, but doesnt go thru the locks on any of their cruises that I know of .. unless you are taking a TA of course.

The description on the Carnival site is "8 Day Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale, FL". Who am I to argue :)

I've just started to read through the port boards and the Canal trip sounds interesting. It doesn't sound like there is much else to do there except see the canal so far.

My husband and I did the Miracle in March of this year and it was plenty hot in all the ports. I chose the itinerary because I wanted to see St. Kitts and St. Lucia and because it had extra sea days. I like to relax on a cruise and didn't want to be in a different port every day. I was disappointed with both St. Lucia and St. Kitts. St. Maarten we had been to before, but I like it and didn't mind going again. There's a lot to see. I guess it would depend on if you like more sea days than port days and what you like to do while in port. We liked the Miracle overall. Cute decor except for the dining room. That was the most hideous decor I've seen on any Carnival ship.

I would say try the Miracle or Freedom. I love the Miracle but also loved doing the Canal. If you haven't been to see the Canal then definitly try the Freedom.

Here's a couple of pics of the Canal from the ferry excursion.

2203861690055185403S600x600Q85.jpg

2122542710055185403S600x600Q85.jpg

I would pick the Victory myself. I like cruises that leave from San Juan and when we take a cruise from San Juan we always get there 2-3 days ahead of time and enjoy the city.

Keep in mind that the Victory cruise is port intensive and probably no sea days. The itinerary is a good one especially for shopping in St Thomas, St Maarten, and Barbados.

If you do decide on the Victory you should really try to get to San Juan a day or two before the cruise and possibly stay a day or two after the cruise. The San Juan airport is a veritable zoo on cruise departure day and return day. Well, whichever one you decide upon, I know you'll have a great cruise. Good luck. :rolleyes:

I would choose the Miracle if you've not done that itinerary. St. Lucia is one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean and I love St. Maarten as well. St. Kitts is nice too..but you'll hear many talk about the recent robbery, but I don't think St. Kitts is dangerous...or at least I didn't feel uncomfortable.

I will never, ever, ever go back to Barbados. I've never felt more uncomfortable or unwelcome than our stop there back in 2006. If I took a cruise that stopped there again, I'd stay on the ship and take advantage of the port day spa specials :D

The other reason for the Miracle is the ship itself. Spirit class ships are awesome...and about to get on the Legend on Sunday, so I'm kind of hooked on that class.

My second choice would be the Western itinerary as its a pretty unique itinerary and almost went on that one this year if we didn't have a very big preference of leaving out of Tampa for a Thanksgiving cruise.

I'll say, I do enjoy sea days and my biggest problem with cruises leaving from San Juan is that 5 straight port days on a 7 night cruise is just too much for me (but that's a personal preference) as I like a balance of days at sea at days in port. Believe me, the cruise I get on this Sunday would be better with at least 3 sea days instead of 2..LOL.

It really depends on what you like to do. If your idea is sitting on the beach I would skip panama. Panama also has some great private tours like to the embra indian village and out to the rain forest to do a chair lift ride to see the canal. If you like animals the slouth sancatuary is fantastic!

We have been to all the islands if you ask me my least favorite used to be St Martin until we found the beach by the airport. But you have to like planes to like that beach.

What are you looking to do?

My husband and I did the Miracle in March of this year and it was plenty hot in all the ports. I chose the itinerary because I wanted to see St. Kitts and St. Lucia and because it had extra sea days. I like to relax on a cruise and didn't want to be in a different port every day. I was disappointed with both St. Lucia and St. Kitts. St. Maarten we had been to before, but I like it and didn't mind going again. There's a lot to see. I guess it would depend on if you like more sea days than port days and what you like to do while in port. We liked the Miracle overall. Cute decor except for the dining room. That was the most hideous decor I've seen on any Carnival ship.

I guess the choice between sea days or more ports is the big one. I like to see different places, but relaxing with a DOD sounds great about now :)

What was it that disappointed you about St. Lucia and St. Kitts? Was it the specific excursions or the ports in general?

When we were on Valor we did something in every port. This time around we may want to just wander around and shop, etc. at some ports. It sounds like the southern itineraries (as labeled by by Carnival :) ) would be better for that.

What are you looking to do?

Well... Lots of things :-D I'm gravitationally challenged (read that as fat) so nothing too strenuous. Also, some things with weight restrictions like zip lining are not good for me, but my wife would enjoy them. I could go along as long as there is something to keep me busy.

We both enjoy snorkeling and we did some snorkeling at all four ports off of Valor. I would do that again, but my wife may want to do something different this time around. We're not big history or archeology buffs, but nature and animals are always good.

Archived