Limited Roll Call Activity

snow bunny

I am leaving tomorrow for my third annual Thanksgiving cruise with a group of approx 35 who all met on these roll calls and just hit it off. It was a rare situation, and we were guilty of posting almost 30K post before we left last year. That was not necessarily a good thing as it was difficult for others to join in. On this year's roll call, we behaved ourselves. Tomorrow, we will have our M & G and look forward to meeting new friends who we hope will want to continue to join us in the future.

I am leaving tomorrow for my third annual Thanksgiving cruise with a group of approx 35 who all met on these roll calls and just hit it off. It was a rare situation, and we were guilty of posting almost 30K post before we left last year. That was not necessarily a good thing as it was difficult for others to join in. On this year's roll call, we behaved ourselves. Tomorrow, we will have our M & G and look forward to meeting new friends who we hope will want to continue to join us in the future.

Hi Wendy - have a FABULOUS TIME!!! (and I had the pleasure of meeting Wendy and Chris thru a roll call a couple of year ago on our Miracle sailing! :D)

You can't really make a correlation between an almost sold out cruise and the few number of people on your roll call. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

The number of passengers on any given sailing that are also Cruise Critic members is probably less than 30 or so (excluding CC group cruises). And of those 30 some of them may not even be active on CC any longer, or may not be interested in using this site for anything but information.

I know that my sister almost never posts on any thread even though she is a member. I post a lot, but surprisingly rarely post on roll call threads unless there are activities being planned that I might want to participate in.

I believe most people on CC don’t understand how tiny and insignificant this group is. Do the math

• My best guess of active CC’rs : 10,000?
  • Passengers that take a Carnival cruise per year 2,250,000 (15 ships x 3000 pas * 50 weeks)
  • Percent of Carnival passengers that are also members of Cruise Critic: .44% (10,000 / 2,200,000)
  • Average number of CC’rs on any given cruise: 13 (3000 * .0044)

You can spin the numbers any way you want AFA returning cruisers, ship utilization, etc, but it comes down to there are very few people on any given ship that even know of CC let alone want to meet each other. That being said, I don’t go to M&G’s (I’m on vacation!).

I love the CC Roll Calls! Have met some of the greatest people because of them.

Here is a story posted by our CC Group leader:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1305556

Happy and proud to say that I met celticd1 on a CC roll call and we enjoyed every minute of our cruise together.:)

Dianne

I believe most people on CC don’t understand how tiny and insignificant this group is. Do the math

• My best guess of active CC’rs : 10,000?
  • Passengers that take a Carnival cruise per year 2,250,000 (15 ships x 3000 pas * 50 weeks)
  • Percent of Carnival passengers that are also members of Cruise Critic: .44% (10,000 / 2,200,000)
  • Average number of CC’rs on any given cruise: 13 (3000 * .0044)

You can spin the numbers any way you want AFA returning cruisers, ship utilization, etc, but it comes down to there are very few people on any given ship that even know of CC let alone want to meet each other. That being said, I don’t go to M&G’s (I’m on vacation!).

Well stated....I never even heard of this site and just kind of stumbled upon it after I started cruising earlier this year...I also know many people that have cruised for years and multiple times a year and have never been on this site and frankly have no interest in forums and things such as this...I love cc but use it for informational purposes only and have no interest in M&G and things....However, its great that people have formed friendships from this site, but many people are not interested in that....I personally don't "lurk" on roll calls and honestly have never clicked on one since its not something I've wanted to do....However, anytime you have an open forum on the worldwide web, there will be a lot of people just kind of observing and not participating...That's just how it is...

Happy and proud to say that I met celticd1 on a CC roll call and we enjoyed every minute of our cruise together.:)

Dianne

Hi Dianne! :) We sure had a great time on that cruise and a big part of that was because of the folks like you we met on the Roll Call!

They may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think the CC Roll Calls ROCK! :D

I have made some awesome friends through roll calls! :D It just seems that some roll calls are much better, more active, and the members enjoy each other, more than other roll calls. I used to enjoy sharing pictures of my family, which includes my 4 legged family members...dogs, horses, even foxes.... on roll calls. But then it was brought to my attention that some people think you should talk about nothing but THIS cruise on roll calls. :confused: Hmmmm.... Well, how do you get to know people without talking about their hobbies? Oh well. I still post on roll calls for every cruise, but not as often as I used to. :cool:

Not everyone is a social butterfly. Not everyone needs some group affliation to enjoy going on a cruise. I might be able to respond to a question on a thread but that doesn't mean I want or need to meet anyone who is going on the cruise I've booked. I'm also the type that doesn't need to know much about my steward, or waiter, or who the cruise director is. Just a different sort of personality.

If you enjoy the group experience, then go for it!

I also couldn't give a rats ass about the CD or where my waiter is from or what my room stewarts name is..Once I am off the ship they forget about you once the next cruise people come on. I don't get excited over the drink mixology contest,hairy chest contest or any other onboard game.

I have notice that according to the website there are limited rooms available on our Carnival Legend New Year's Cruise. I have also noticed that people will lurk, perhaps read, or maybe as the "kids" call it creep on a roll call. My question is why do they (you know who you are) not join in?? Is the roll call too personal? Meeting "strangers" bother you? Yet some of you post in various Carnival areas on CC but not on the actual roll call? Sorry if this takes some of you out of your comfort zone but I don't mind posting here in order to meet with some like minded people who I may or may not get along with once on board but I put myself out here warts and all!

From what I have experienced, one roll call people would just pop in now and then with just basically being excited. On another roll call, it was quickly taken over by a few people and when you did respond, no one answered you. It became some what of a clique, even to the point where many of the activities became a group function. I wasn't into that as we like doing our own thing. I did meet a few people on the roll call, it wasn't anything special really. We met other people who had never heard of cruise critic and became friends immediately. We've even exchanged phone calls since we've been home. So, I think it all depends on the amount of time and energy you want to put into it.

Archived