Molde, Norway & Olden, Norway

Travel 25

We have a 10 stop in both Molde and Olden.

The Romsdal Museum in Molde looks some what interesting and is walking distance from the city. Other than that there does not seem to be much to do in this port. Any other ideas?

In Olden there are two ship shore excursions. One goes to Briksdal Glacier and the other goes to Fjaerland with a stop at the Norwegian Glacier Center and Boeyabree Glacier. Has anybody done either. Would appreciate any input. Thanks! Steve

Steve, you can search the Celebrity site ("plan you cruise") to see what is generally proposed by the company. Shore tours are very expensive, but in the places like Molde, Olden or Flam you nave not so many choices. Cities like Oslo, Bergen and Stavanger we suppose to do by ourselves.

Very nice site www.visitnorway.com is informative and helpful.

Hope to meet you on cruise.

Eugene

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Travel25 -

I am also looking for excursions in Olden on July 28 and Molde on July 27 ... but I prefer independent excursions with only 6 or 8 people. I'm not fond of cruise ship tour buses.;)

Have you found anything yet? I have not.

Thanks,

Liz

Hi Travel25 -I am also looking for excursions in Olden on July 28 and Molde on July 27 ... but I prefer independent excursions with only 6 or 8 people. I'm not fond of cruise ship tour buses.;)

Have you found anything yet? I have not. Thanks, Liz

Hi, Liz! What other ports are you visiting on your cruise? Both Olden and Molde are fairly small and your options for independent excursions might be more limited than what is potential in large cities such as Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen, etc. Ship tours might not be the "best" and work ideally for everyone, but they do provide reasonable flexibility and availability.

I would contact the tourism office in both of these ports. You can use Google.com to find their websites. E-mail them and tell them more on what you are seeking and needing. With another couple, we did rental cars and independent travel on our own in the three different of these smaller ports along the Norway Coast in early July. It worked out super for us. More details can be seen below. Keep researching and planning! It will make a big, positive difference.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 25,450 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 months later...

We are in Molde June 22. Any suggestions?

It just occurred to me as I typed the day - isn't that summer solstice? or is it June 21 when we are at sea? Seems like the Scandinavians celebrate that in a big way!

I will check with the site mentioned above but appreciate all other ideas!

. . . In Olden there are two ship shore excursions. One goes to Briksdal Glacier and the other goes to Fjaerland with a stop at the Norwegian Glacier Center and Boeyabree Glacier. Has anybody done either. Would appreciate any input. Thanks! Steve

I have been to the Briksdal Gracier as part of a full-day ship's tour that started in Hellesylt and ended in Geiranger. The Briksdal Glacier portion of the tour took several hours. There was a short (90 minutes or so) round-trip hike to the glacier followed by lunch in a local restaurant/inn.

It was really one of our favorite shore excursions. The hike itself was not too difficult and had some incredibly spectacular scenery. (I've attached a few photos below to give you some idea of what you will see.)

The only way that this excursion could have been better is if we had hiked to the glacier as part of a small group rather than with multiple ships' shore excursions. (3 ships made the Hellesylt/Geiranger call that day.) We took the ship's excursion (this was our very first cruise and you gotta start somewhere. . . ) but I would encourage you to see if there was an option to do this through a private provider. That way you could plan your day in a way to avoid the crowds.

DSC01678-72.jpg.363992d664889e1d564b6dc427f1f72b.jpg

DSC01683-72.jpg.d52ca90180b57dd28327a151f0be45d2.jpg

DSC01686-72.jpg.74c58275245104664d3cbcfd6a7cba83.jpg

DSC01698-72.jpg.08b06ed60d1b135e5e051dcfa95339a2.jpg

Archived