Kona Question

cottagemama

We stopped at a "plantation" which I'm guessing to be around 10 miles to the east. They have a store with many samples of brewed coffee, old equipment used in the past to process coffee and photos and descriptions of the entire coffee process. Their building overlooks coffee beans aging on a large tarmak area. You will not see a coffee grove like the coconut palms. It is an enjoyable drive and we stopped at a state park and saw many sea turtles hanging around the shallow beach water. It is a ceremonial park with buildings and explanations of Hawaiian early culture. There is a famous church in a small town along the way with water color type etchings on the walls. It is a bit hard to find. I believe it was near the park. We also stopped at a post office and remember beautiful flowering shrubbery around the parking area that we posed in front of. The drive is very scenic and almost rain forest in character. You will see small groves of coffee trees on the hills as you travel. The trees need a perfect climate of rain, sun and temperature to do well and that area along the coast provides what they need. You will enjoy the drive. We were about out of time at the store and do not know what was beyond that.

John L.

To CottaageMama: I think you are looking for a Disneyland type tour where a tram will take you through the entire coffee process. I don't think it exists. The "store" I mentioned is the main processing facility for that area. I believe many of the residents along the Kona highway grow the coffee trees in their back yard. They bag the beans and then take them to the store I mentioned. There is a grading process of the beans brought in and they are paid depending on quality. The store then processes the beans for consumer purchases. I didn't see any tour of their facility other than seeing the beans laid out on the ground aging and plaques explaining the process. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks Spleen for the names. I lost my detailed Hawaiian maps or what was left of their tattered remains. I believe the church was in the town of Captain Cook.

John L.

After having a cup of Mountain Thunder coffee at a restaurant on the Hilo side of the island, my husband and I were on a mission to find the plantation and buy some coffee when we were on the Kona side the next day. We didn't take a tour, but as we were leaving, a group in a van were coming in for a tour. You might want to contact Mountain Thunder (www.mountainthunder.com) and they could give you the name of the tour company or perhaps you could arrange a tour directly with them. I believe their coffee is grown higher on the island than anyone else's. I purchased 10 lbs. of their Organic Private Reserve and it's the best coffee I've ever tasted.

Good luck and have a great time!

Make me an offer we can't refuse, Anne, and we'll be there. :) Mountain Thunder truly is the best coffee I've ever drank, and I bought 10 pounds because it's cheaper than placing several smaller orders (they ship by FedEx). I keep it in the freezer and I'm on my second pound -- that's only drinking it on weekends or when working from home and you may recall Ed doesn't even drink coffee.

The plantation was way up in the hills above Kailua-Kona and it's a small operation run by a couple previously from California. If I had known they had tours, I would have made arrangements to take one, as I have never toured a coffee plantation. Perhaps we'll see what we can schedule for our March 2006 visit.

Karen

Go to the Upcountry area just above Kona. I don't remember the name of the highway, but there are several small coffee plantations up there. We toured Holualoa and I still order all my coffee from there. It's organic, very good and they sell several grades including Peaberry. The tour is self guided but the people working there are very friendly. You could probably tour several of these small facilities in an afternoon or morning in this area.

cottagemama, we drove up Route 180 until it met Route 190 and took that heading north about a quarter of a mile. Can't remember the road, but we turned right and followed that road way up the mountain. Try sending them an e-mail at aloha@mountainthunder.com. If you're patient, you should eventually get a reply. Their website indicates that they will take you on a tour if you give them a call. The tollfree number is 888-414-KONA.

Karen

Archived