Disappointed with RCI

p5woody

Sure is a sad commentary on the state of our schools, these days. Poor conduct and lack of basic vocabulary skills. For shame. :D

It didn't happen overnight, Bicker. In the 70's, a college professor I know told me he had to simplify multiple choice tests because of his students' inability to understand the English language and these were white kids educated in some of the finest public schools in the country.

Sure is a sad commentary on the state of our schools, these days. Poor conduct and lack of basic vocabulary skills. For shame. :D

Unfortunately, this seems to be a perennial problem. To my mind, the only major changes seems to be in what current slang seems to be. Every generation has it's stretch of the rules, English skills, and conduct codes. And ultimately as they grow older, they grow out of many of these things.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a perennial problem. To my mind, the only major changes seems to be in what current slang seems to be. Every generation has it's stretch of the rules, English skills, and conduct codes. And ultimately as they grow older, they grow out of many of these things.

Snoopy, I'm not really sure they do grow out of it. Certain mistakes have become so rampant, even among tv and radio announcers and in scripts (such as the phrase "she gave it to her and I") that people think the poor grammar is actually the correct grammar, and they will pompously correct you if you say "she gave it to her and me". I seldom see an e-mail or post where there aren't multiple misspellings, grammar gaffes, and and examples of a usage faux pas.

Not to be disrespectful, but there were three errors in your post, and you are far more articulate than the average person. Normally, I would absolutely never correct someone else's spelling, grammar, punctuation, or usage, but I'm only using your post to attempt to prove a point.

I taught high school English for 16 years and then worked as a general manager in large bookstores for 13 years after I left teaching. Most of my employees were college students and, each year, I became more and more dismayed at how ignorant and incompetent they were in using their native language.

Allen

It really gets me when people think they are demonstrating good grammatical skills by saying "just between you and I." They THINK that "just between you and me" is for the uneducated when in fact it is the proper wording. They think that they have learned something but they haven't even bothered to learn it correctly.

The one mistake that I see becoming really commonplace (even in business communications at work) is the use of 's for plural words. For instance, I bought a bag of apple's. When I proof read my daughter's book reports or stories I go snakey when I see this. I keep harping, it's plural not possessive, it's plural not possessive! Don't they teach this stuff anymore?

I must jump in here!!! I really have to laugh when I read posts where people are trying to correct others and it is FULL of spelling errors. In the last few minutes, I've seen dinning, conserge, tripple, waitor, crue, etc. And don't get me started on there, their, and they're. Just as bad as your and you're. What sends me over the edge are the double negatives. "I don't got no bananas” That actually means you DO have bananas!!!! And things like "We was going on a cruise" make me scream. Almost. I tell me children all the time that you can be the most intelligent person in the world, but if you don't have a basic handle on your language, both written and verbalized, you appear to be an idiot.

When I see what my recently college educated co-workers write and say, I can't figure out what all the tuition is going to. (I know, I know...that sentence was REALLY terrible!)

While I'm up here on my soapbox.....When did the practice of allowing children to use calculators in math class and during tests become common? How hard can an 8th grade math test be, when you can just punch the numbers in? What happened to "show your work on the back?"

I must jump in here!!! I really have to laugh when I read posts where people are trying to correct others and it is FULL of spelling errors. In the last few minutes, I've seen dinning, conserge, tripple, waitor, crue, etc. And don't get me started on there, their, and they're. Just as bad as your and you're. What sends me over the edge are the double negatives. "I don't got no bananas” That actually means you DO have bananas!!!! And things like "We was going on a cruise" make me scream. Almost. I tell me children all the time that you can be the most intelligent person in the world, but if you don't have a basic handle on your language, both written and verbalized, you appear to be an idiot.

When I see what my recently college educated co-workers write and say, I can't figure out what all the tuition is going to. (I know, I know...that sentence was REALLY terrible!)

While I'm up here on my soapbox.....When did the practice of allowing children to use calculators in math class and during tests become common? How hard can an 8th grade math test be, when you can just punch the numbers in? What happened to "show your work on the back?"

Just thought you'd like to know the rules of the board...from the guidelines...........

Spelling and Grammar Errors It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

So I guess we're not suppose to say anything......

I never directly commented on ANYONE. Just curious as to why you felt the need to only quote me? What exactly was your point? I noticed that a post or two above me, that someone WAS directly corrected. Perhaps you'd like to paste the rules for them also. I'm sure swearing on a board is not allowed either, but that doesn't stop some people on some boards, does it?

I never directly commented on ANYONE. Just curious as to why you felt the need to only quote me? What exactly was your point? I noticed that a post or two above me, that someone WAS directly corrected. Perhaps you'd like to paste the rules for them also. I'm sure swearing on a board is not allowed either, but that doesn't stop some people on some boards, does it?

I have never swore on the boards, but I have in a PM.....

I quoted you because you were the last one to comment on it, that's all. No need to be so defensive.....

Just thought you'd like to know the rules of the board...from the guidelines...........

Spelling and Grammar Errors It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

So I guess we're not suppose to say anything......

Amen. The way I speak, write, or spell, comes not only from my education, or lack of same, but also from my heritage and environment. The world would be a very boring place if we all acted, spoke, wrote, dressed, and heaven forbid, agreed on everything as one. Those differences makes for a better world IMHO. And if we were all clones, we wouldn't need these forums.:D :D And :D's would turn to :mad:'s. And having very good, honest, and loving friends with learning disabilities lets me forgive even my own mistakes more easily.

I do agree that insulting or correcting someone directly on the boards about their grammar IS rude and inconsiderate. We don't know each individuals situation, ability, etc...

But there is NO reason high school graduates should not know that "I ain't got no bananas" is NOT good grammar! I don't understand HOW they can pass their English class.

I have a special needs child, so have really struggled a lot with the school systems. At a meeting a few weeks ago, to decide about her classes for high school, I asked about the English class she should take that would best meet her graduation standard needs. I was told "don't worry about, they all graduate". I was completely disgusted.

It appears to me that kids are going from grade to grade with no regard for basic education.

I've got 2 teenagers at home. Can anyone tell me WHEN they will stop mumbling?

My daughter's recent word is "ridic", as in "you're ridic, Mom." (short for ridiculous, of course, but when it comes out of her mouth, it sounds so much like "you're a dick." I now fine her 50 cents each time she says it. It should be gone soon.

Cindy, I had a friend tell me that when he last saw his 3 year old niece, she told him he was "dickless". He got a little disturbed and walked away. Then he heard her say it again in front of her parents and asked what she meant... Yup, she also was saying ridiculous.

I'm guessing since your "ridic" includes a fine, we aren't talking 3 year olds though!

Here is the conversation I just had with my 15 year old...

Him: Wah we hah fa duh?

Me: (I assumed it was a question from the tone) What did you say?

Him: Wah we hah fa DUH?

Me: (Now I know the DUH is important) What's a DUH?

Him: Moooooooommmmmmmm, never mind. (that's always so clear)

Me: Okay.

Him: Mom, I'm talkin!!!

Me: But you just said never mind...

Him: Can we hah pizza?

Me: (totally getting now that he said "what are we having for dinner")

And you people are telling me this will end WHEN????

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but ... ummmm ... they don't. ;)

when they are 25!

You know its that like when I was 18 my parents were stupid, but when I was 25 it was amazing what they had learned in 7 years.

Archived