Back from the 11/14 Jewel cruise

Shelli

Just back today from a week on the Jewel... one of the best weeks ever! I *loved* this ship and its wonderful, dear staff! I'll be writing a review ASAP, but till then, if you have any questions that I might be able to answer, I'd be happy to give it a whirl.

Just back today from a week on the Jewel... one of the best weeks ever! I *loved* this ship and its wonderful, dear staff! I'll be writing a review ASAP, but till then, if you have any questions that I might be able to answer, I'd be happy to give it a whirl.

So glad you had a great time. I'm hoping to do the same soon.

Can't wait to read your review.

Q's.....

What did you do in Florida?

How was GSC?

Any suggestions for Nassau?

How was the weather?

Welcome back and glad ya luved it!:D Can't wait to hear all about it!;)

So glad you had a great time. I'm hoping to do the same soon.

Can't wait to read your review.

Q's.....

How was GSC?

How was the weather?

AND..how was water temp..(we are considering snorkle trip)

Any 2 for 1 specials for specalty dining?

thanks

How was GSC?

How was the weather?

We didn't do this cruise for the ports-- they weren't among our favorites, for sure. In Florida we took the $10 HOHO shuttle to Cocoa Beach. NOT worth going to, in my estimation-- that beach wasn't nearly as nice as the ones we have here at the Jersey shore. Of course, it was warmer there in November! LOL! We ended up going to a little bar right off the beach (too bad it wasn't ON the beach), which we enjoyed. We saw some of the ship's entertainers there, and we were glad to have the chance to tell them how much we enjoyed them.

GSC was beautiful, but heed the warnings to take an early tender if you want a chair. We got in line for tender tickets at about 9:15 (it opened at 9) and we were on #7... and too late for a chair. We did find a shaded picnic table, though. The weather was perfect, but the water was a tad chilly. I'm not a water person anyway, though.

We've been to Nassau before, so we only got off the ship long enough to buy some gifts for our grandkids. It's not a port we care much about.

Weather was GREAT throughout the cruise... except for clouds in Nassau that later turned to rain. By then we were back on the ship and didn't care. :)

AND..how was water temp..(we are considering snorkle trip)

Any 2 for 1 specials for specalty dining?

thanks

Like I said, I'm not much of a water person, but it seemed chilly to me.

As for the specials... we were disappointed that there were no 2 for 1s. I think that varies from week to week-- perhaps it's based on how many pax are onboard or restaurant sales earlier in the week.

We didn't do this cruise for the ports-- they weren't among our favorites, for sure. In Florida we took the $10 HOHO shuttle to Cocoa Beach. NOT worth going to, in my estimation-- that beach wasn't nearly as nice as the ones we have here at the Jersey shore. Of course, it was warmer there in November! LOL! We ended up going to a little bar right off the beach (too bad it wasn't ON the beach), which we enjoyed. We saw some of the ship's entertainers there, and we were glad to have the chance to tell them how much we enjoyed them.

GSC was beautiful, but heed the warnings to take an early tender if you want a chair. We got in line for tender tickets at about 9:15 (it opened at 9) and we were on #7... and too late for a chair. We did find a shaded picnic table, though. The weather was perfect, but the water was a tad chilly. I'm not a water person anyway, though.

We've been to Nassau before, so we only got off the ship long enough to buy some gifts for our grandkids. It's not a port we care much about.

Weather was GREAT throughout the cruise... except for clouds in Nassau that later turned to rain. By then we were back on the ship and didn't care. :)

I'm also not doing this cruise for the itinerary.

Done it already and don't care for any of the ports.

Just checking to see what else there is to do.

The bar near the beach is something for us since we are not beach people. ;)

As for GSC, might do like the last time, just go over, look around, take a walk and get the heck back to the ship. Good thing we have VIP for the tender.

Nassau... Atlantis is played out. Will most likely take a walk around. Was thinking about doing something else but have no idea what there is to do. Checking out Nassau site this week.

Any tips on the Jewel I should be aware of? ;)

Any tips on the Jewel I should be aware of?[/color] ;)

Just make sure you "washy-washy," and then you'll be "happy-happy"! :)

I have no specific tips... it's just a great ship with a great staff. If you go to Tsar's Palace (a beautiful included dining room), request Josephine-- she's the best and sweetest person. I felt like she was a member of the family.

What makes her your favorite ship?

While a lot of the crew have transferred off to the Epic the senior staff members onboard from Captain Konstantinos Faflias who is the head of the ship to his right hand person John O'Hara, Hotel Director Extraordinaire... they run a good ship! I've always had memorable experiences onboard. I look forward to fun times with the new Cruise Director Shona Blair but will admit it will be different without CD Paul Baya there. :cool:

Just make sure you "washy-washy," and then you'll be "happy-happy"! :)

I have no specific tips... it's just a great ship with a great staff. If you go to Tsar's Palace (a beautiful included dining room), request Josephine-- she's the best and sweetest person. I felt like she was a member of the family.

I see Happy Happy Washy Washy has gone fleet wide or else the two boys from the Spirit cruise have transferred to the Jewel?? :cool:

Thanks for the tip on a good waitress. I had a favorite waitress who was on the Jewel in January and March but has since transferred to the Epic and for my upcoming trip I needed to find a good person in Tsar's so thanks for the name! :D

lol I haven't heard washy-washy, happy-happy in 8 weeks.

Forgot all about it.

Our CD on the Dawn a couple of months ago always said....

WIKI WIKI WAHHHH when ending an announcement. lol

Josephine it is. (if we try Tsar's) Have to see what they serve first.

I heard John O'Hara might be on vacation when I go on the Jewel in a couple of weeks. Guess since it's going into drydock next week for a week he took advantage. Who knows.

Josephine it is. (if we try Tsar's) Have to see what they serve first.

I heard John O'Hara might be on vacation when I go on the Jewel in a couple of weeks. Guess since it's going into drydock next week for a week he took advantage. Who knows.

He was slated for vacation after the New Year given the full length of his 6 month contract but I wasn't sure when. With the ship going into drydock I could understand them changing HD's out then. If they do switch the Hotel Directors then Frank Hassenwinkel gets my vote to replace him!! Here's hoping that it's just a rumor though. People a short while ago had John being transferred to the Pride of America. :eek:

Tsars is one of the MDRs onboard so they serve the standard NCL fare like Beef Wellington, Prime Rib and the always available stuff. If you google the Jewel menus you'll find them. :D

He was slated for vacation after the New Year given the full length of his 6 month contract but I wasn't sure when. With the ship going into drydock I could understand them changing HD's out then. If they do switch the Hotel Directors then Frank Hassenwinkel gets my vote to replace him!! Here's hoping that it's just a rumor though. People a short while ago had John being transferred to the Pride of America. :eek:

Tsars is one of the MDRs onboard so they serve the standard NCL fare like Beef Wellington, Prime Rib and the always available stuff. If you google the Jewel menus you'll find them. :D

I sure hope they don't switch out John O'Hara before our sailing! I had also heard that he would be gone, but hopefully it was from someone misinformed.. What a great HD he is!

Robin

I'm just back from the Jewel as well & suffering severe withdrawal. I am happy to report she is still my favorite ship :) but I am sorry to say that John O'Hara has already left. It is my understanding he will be assigned to another ship at the end of his vacation. We definitely felt the void at that position. Although Brian Waters is very nice he is more of a hands off HD.

I am not much of a Show person, but I have to highly recommend Incanto with Massimo & Alesia. Adrian insisted that we had to attend this show :p and I am so glad we did. They are absolutely spectacular and should not be missed. This show is in addition to Cirque Bijou which also features them and is very good.

I'm just back from the Jewel as well & suffering severe withdrawal. I am happy to report she is still my favorite ship but I am sorry to say that John O'Hara has already left. It is my understanding he will be assigned to another ship at the end of his vacation. We definitely felt the void at that position. Although Brian Waters is very nice he is more of a hands off HD.

I am not much of a Show person, but I have to highly recommend Incanto with Massimo & Alesia. Adrian insisted that we had to attend this show :p and I am so glad we did. They are absolutely spectacular and should not be missed. This show is in addition to Cirque Bijou which also features them and is very good.

OMG! :eek::eek::eek:

I'll still love the Jewel just the same but OMG I can't believe John is gone from the Jewel. I hope NCL hasn't sent him to the Pride of America. He's such a great guy and hearing a hand's off Hotel Director scares me actually. I've never even heard of this Brian individual before now. Is he new to NCL???

Massimo and Alesia are a fantastic couple. I have had the opportunity to meet them thanks to friends I've made with JAR performers. Incredible and when I heard they had their own show I was very happy to hear it because they are incredibly talented. Adrian was good for brow beating you into seeing it. :D

While a lot of the crew have transferred off to the Epic the senior staff members onboard from Captain Konstantinos Faflias who is the head of the ship to his right hand person John O'Hara, Hotel Director Extraordinaire... they run a good ship! I've always had memorable experiences onboard. I look forward to fun times with the new Cruise Director Shona Blair but will admit it will be different without CD Paul Baya there. :cool:

I agree, Paul Baya is my favorite CD. Do you know where he is now?

I agree, it was a WONDERFUL cruise! I don't have much time right now but I'll read more later and write a review (hopefully this week).

IMHO, the food was better than on my last 3-4 NCL cruises and I was delighted. The service was superb, as always :)

Glad you had fun!!!!!

My hubby says he only wants to sail NCL after our Sept 4 Jewel sailing!!!

Our trip was not for the itinerary either, it was to try a new ship and we weren't disappointed.

We thought Shona was great but I'm sorry I can't compare her to the CD the rest of you folks are asking about.

Is this Jewel drydock going to remove Spinnakers like I'm reading with the DAWN:eek::eek: Hope not, really enjoy Spinnakers.

Welcome home

OMG! :eek::eek::eek:

I'll still love the Jewel just the same but OMG I can't believe John is gone from the Jewel. I hope NCL hasn't sent him to the Pride of America. He's such a great guy and hearing a hand's off Hotel Director scares me actually. I've never even heard of this Brian individual before now. Is he new to NCL???

:D

I,too, am disappointed......was really looking forward to meeting John --heard so many good things here on CC!!!!!

Anyone know about Brian the new CD ???

Glad you had fun!!!!!

Is this Jewel drydock going to remove Spinnakers like I'm reading with the DAWN:eek::eek: Hope not, really enjoy Spinnakers.

Welcome home

From what I had read up on through various sites where people post Shona definitely looked like she knew how to have a good time. By mid-December she'll be on vacation so a guy named Silas is taking over. I'm trying to get the 411 on him.

In the Boston drydock next week they will not be removing Spinnakers Lounge. There is simply not enough time to do a refurb like that in one week. It'd take nearly a month without interuptions (like guests). Seems like the only thing they're focusing on is the bearing replacement and spruce up some carpets and doing a top to bottom cleaning.

I,too, am disappointed......was really looking forward to meeting John --heard so many good things here on CC!!!!!

Anyone know about Brian the new CD ???

Brian is the new Hotel Director onboard to replace John O'Hara who is on vacation. I too am eager to hear about this new Hotel Director.

I agree, Paul Baya is my favorite CD. Do you know where he is now?

Rumor had it that he went to work for Royal Caribbean International and their Celebrity brand. :( He should be back on a NCL ship if he was returning to the company because he went on vacation in Aprilish/early May. Great guy and knew how to have fun. Was wondering if he'd jump into the pool with his clothes on when leaving NYC in the middle of winter like he usually did when sailing out of Miami or Istanbul.

Archived