Back from the 11/14 Jewel cruise

Shelli

Brian is the new Hotel Director onboard to replace John O'Hara who is on vacation. I too am eager to hear about this new Hotel Director.

Hi Jake,

I believe Brian was on the DAWN this summer, but I haven't heard much about him. I guess I'll meet him in a couple of weeks.

Also, I don't think they will be messing with the Spinnaker lounge (they better not) on the JEWEL.....but I think they did the STAR's change over from lounge to suites while they were cruising. I seem to remember them picking up the new cabins each week and lots of construction going on for a month or so while they were still cruising....not in a drydock. :eek:

From what I had read up on through various sites where people post Shona definitely looked like she knew how to have a good time. By mid-December she'll be on vacation so a guy named Silas is taking over. I'm trying to get the 411 on him.

Do you mean Silas Cook? He was the CD on our Pride of America cruise in July '09 and from the reviews here on Cruise Critic, he was the Epic CD until recently. He is very energetic and knows how to have fun but, and this is just my personal opinion, he gets obnoxious by day 7. There was a thread discussing him on the Epic a month or so ago, it seemd that the majority of people liked him and he was well suited to that ship.

Margaret - When you get back from your vacation... please please find me on here!!! :) I want the complete skinny on everything new. I'm not sure when Silas is taking over the reigns. I was informed by a credible source it'd be sometime in Mid-December before the holidays so your sailing fits that bill. We'll see though... so do keep me posted! Please and thanks! :D

As for Spinnakers... there has been no talk of changing her out on the Jewel but I have been saying on another thread that I wouldn't appreciate it if they did. The Jewel class ships offer more options for suites than the Dawn class did IMHO. There has been no talk from the ship that I've seen that shows them closing Spinnakers down and ripping up the dance floor like they did on the Star just before she went in for her drydock. I remember people on the sailing before stating Spinnakers was closed and they were ripping it up. Spinnakers should still be there. Not to mention the Jewel is not hitting Boston every week to add a new cabin on turnaround anyway and to put something like that on the ship in NYC just doesn't seem do-able (logistically).

You're the first cruise post-drydock so do give me the skinny on it. The Jewel hits Port Canaveral around noon today and I can't wait for it to get there. :)

Sure will..!!

It is our 1st suite, 1st time on Jewel....

Thinking we will be boarding early..since no departing pax...so can start our vacation early!!!

Sure will..!!

It is our 1st suite, 1st time on Jewel....

Thinking we will be boarding early..since no departing pax...so can start our vacation early!!!

Be sure to watch the webcam the morning of her arrival to NYC to make sure she gets down there on-time before rushing to the pier. It's getting chilly out there! :eek:

From what I had read up on through various sites where people post Shona definitely looked like she knew how to have a good time. By mid-December she'll be on vacation so a guy named Silas is taking over. I'm trying to get the 411 on him.

The name Shona sounds familiar. Wonder if she was on the Dawn May '09 and/or Sept. '10. :confused:

In the Boston drydock next week they will not be removing Spinnakers Lounge. There is simply not enough time to do a refurb like that in one week. It'd take nearly a month without interuptions (like guests). Seems like the only thing they're focusing on is the bearing replacement and spruce up some carpets and doing a top to bottom cleaning.

Didn't know they went to Boston for drydocking. They had better make it back in time for my cruise!! lol

Hope you are right with the 'cleaning from top to bottom' since I wouldn't mind having a very clean ship. ;)

When I was on the Dawn in Sept. they were changing rugs during the days we were in each port. Especially all around Salsa.

Glad you had fun!!!!!

Is this Jewel drydock going to remove Spinnakers like I'm reading with the DAWN:eek::eek: Hope not, really enjoy Spinnakers.

I think I remember hearing that the drydock is due to come kind of problem with the engines. In recent cruises, some of the itineraries have been changed or shortened because the ship was moving too slowly. (Something like that)

I heard they cancelled this one cruise to work on the engines.

Jeanne

where u at in south jersey?

I live near Cherry Hill.

Re the hotel director: Yes, John is gone, but his mailbox is still labeled "Dear John." I'm sure other passengers found that confusing-- LOL! His replacement was at the Meet & Greet, which I missed... but another passenger (thanks, Julie!) told me the new guy looked puzzled when someone requested and bridge tour and said that wasn't possible. Later in the week, though, everyone from the Meet & Greet was invited to such a tour on the last day.

Re the CD: Shona did a great job!

Shelli - Thanks for all the information. :D

Re: The bridge tour... is something John arranged in conjunction with Capt Konstantinos Fafalios. It's not something that is granted to all the groups and it's dependent on the Captain of the vessel. We sailed in January and the Captain was different and no such tour was offered. In March Captain Fafalios was onboard and it was offered. If it is offered then we cruiser critters should consider it a token of NCL's kindness and not an expectation though. :cool:

To sum it all up: I'm going to miss John on this trip. :(

Be sure to watch the webcam the morning of her arrival to NYC to make sure she gets down there on-time before rushing to the pier. It's getting chilly out there! :eek:

Car service pick up is 10AM..plan on arrival at 10:30..so should be OK;)

Re the hotel director: Yes, John is gone, but his mailbox is still labeled "Dear John." I'm sure other passengers found that confusing-- LOL! His replacement was at the Meet & Greet, which I missed... but another passenger (thanks, Julie!) told me the new guy looked puzzled when someone requested and bridge tour and said that wasn't possible. Later in the week, though, everyone from the Meet & Greet was invited to such a tour on the last day.

thanks for the info......hope "the new guy" is less "puzzled by" our cruise :rolleyes: he has a hard job filling John's shoes. from what I hear..;)

Re: The bridge tour... is something John arranged in conjunction with Capt Konstantinos Fafalios. It's not something that is granted to all the groups and it's dependent on the Captain of the vessel. We sailed in January and the Captain was different and no such tour was offered. In March Captain Fafalios was onboard and it was offered. If it is offered then we cruiser critters should consider it a token of NCL's kindness and not an expectation though. :cool:

We definitely missed John. There is something very special about that man! As I said earlier, Brian is very nice but he is far less visible than John. I swear, on my previous cruises John was EVERYWHERE! I only saw Brian once or twice after the M&G and he only said a few words there.

Ellwyn, the lovely group coordinator on the Jewel (she is an absolute doll in every way!) arranged the Bridge Tour for the CC group this time. I also would not expect it to be offered regularly on future cruises. If you get the opportunity to do it, I highly recommend it (unless you are traveling with small children that need a nap or are not in the mood to be quiet and respectful). It is quite fascinating.

We loved our trip on the jewel

We got lots of half price speciality restaurant deals, the Food and beverage and hotel directors toured the restaurants every evening talking to passengers. We got to dine with them one evening and a bridge tour.

Loved every minute of her

I hope the pearl is similar - sail in 4 weeks

Jan

Hoping you can help !! Was a wine package offered on the Jewel?

IF so..do you know any details?

Trying to decide if I should bring or buy ;)

Sorry... we brought our own. And I don't remember seeing anything in the Daily about it. Then again, that could be because I wasn't looking for it.

I wish I paid attention, but I really didn't. I think there may have been one, but I am not even sure. I definitely don't know any details & I didn't bring home any paperwork to check. I can tell you there were some reasonably priced wines on the wine list that weren't too bad. Sorry, I am pretty useless on this question :o

Wish I had known about the webcam back in '03 when we got to he pier at 12 noon only to find NO SHIP! :eek: Arrival time was 6pm, boarding time was 8pm, departure time 10pm. Totally sucked.

Live and learn. Now I know better. I don't leave the house unless I SEE that the ship in at the pier in NYC. lol

As far as the HD or CD goes, doesn't matter to us since we never interact with them.

I'm more concerned about the concierge. ;)

I live near Cherry Hill.

Do you know if Capt Fafalios will be onboard in Feb? I had heard that the bridge & galley tour was offered to CC Meet & Greet on some of the cruises and hope it will also be offered on ours

We were on the Jewel's Oct. 17-24 sailing. I just checked the Freestyle Dailies, and the Daily for Oct. 17, embarkation day, did have a wine package ad:

"Save 20% on pre-selected wines. Check out the Jewel's wine packages and enjoy these wines in the restaurant, bars, open decks or sip it [sic] while watching the sunset on your balcony. Available for sale in the Crystal Atrium, Deck 7, Mid."

I also recall that at dinner after one of the port days, our server mentioned a special that evening of 20% off a bottle of Merlot or Chardonnay. (My partner, who will drink Chateau Thames Embankment, bought a bottle of the Merlot and enjoyed it. We'd also brought our own champagne and other wine on board.)

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited to add: I just saw that this will be your first suite. For sure you will enjoy your cruise!

We were on the Jewel's Oct. 17-24 sailing. I just checked the Freestyle Dailies, and the Daily for Oct. 17, embarkation day, did have a wine package ad:

"Save 20% on pre-selected wines. Check out the Jewel's wine packages and enjoy these wines in the restaurant, bars, open decks or sip it [sic] while watching the sunset on your balcony. Available for sale in the Crystal Atrium, Deck 7, Mid."

I also recall that at dinner after one of the port days, our server mentioned a special that evening of 20% off a bottle of Merlot or Chardonnay. (My partner, who will drink Chateau Thames Embankment, bought a bottle of the Merlot and enjoyed it. We'd also brought our own champagne and other wine on board.)

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited to add: I just saw that this will be your first suite. For sure you will enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the info...and yes..we WILL enjoy !!!

Archived