Need help...one week in NOLA beginning Dec 3rd

chrismch

I need lots of help in making the best of our time in N'awlins. We will be there for a full week. Been looking at the convention & visitor's site for ideas. And I have some questions...

For the concerts at the cathedral which are free, how early do we need to get there to get good seats?

What are your impressions/ would you recommend paying to see the Mardi Gras World museum?

The cooking/tasting shows are they a good buy?

What hotels have the best holiday decorations?

Who has the best revillion lunches?

Are they still doing bonfires on the Mississippi?

Does the French market have food & produce this time of year or is it more just crafts and gifts?

Any other suggestions of things to do?

I need lots of help in making the best of our time in N'awlins. We will be there for a full week. Been looking at the convention & visitor's site for ideas. And I have some questions...

For the concerts at the cathedral which are free, how early do we need to get there to get good seats? at least 30 to 45 minutes ahead unless there is something going on right before. but honestly you won't have too much trouble finding a seat, the cathedral is HUGE.

What are your impressions/ would you recommend paying to see the Mardi Gras World museum? "I" wouldn't pay to go see it but only because I already know how floats are made, stored, used, etc. because I grew up around it and we even learned about it in school and went on field trips to mardi gras world, but if you've never been its something nice to see and see floats that aren't being used anymore and learn some history behind carnival. Its a fun place to go. if you take the canal street ferry across to the river (you can catch the ferry right next to the river walk every 15-20 min or so) mardi gras world has a shuttle that picks up right on the other side of the river. free shuttle.

The cooking/tasting shows are they a good buy? never been but its a rare treet to get a local chef to teach you secerts. When it comes to recipes down here we keep it on the hush so I bet its a good deal.

What hotels have the best holiday decorations? all of them have thier unique aspects but you should go to Celebration in the Oaks at city park. If your driving to the city you can do a driving tour of the park or you can do a walking tour and see christmas trees decorated by local students and concerts just about every nights. its a must see for me and my favorite thing about holiday time in NOLA.

Who has the best revillion lunches? yeah, I have no idea what this is, never heard of it but I'll google it and get back to you.

Are they still doing bonfires on the Mississippi? Last i heard they were but a scaled down version but it can't really be viewed from the city. It was never big on my holiday list so I'm not the best for this question.

Does the French market have food & produce this time of year or is it more just crafts and gifts? Yes they do. fresh fruit is always there but may sale out early or be limited. Winters aren't too big of a problem, we stand to get cold this year but I remember plenty winters walking around in shorts and flip flops. So fruilt, veggies and such aren't too big of a probelm to get. and the resturants have odd hours sometimes, you will have to look up exactly which places you want to go to see thier winter times.

Any other suggestions of things to do? if you have a car, or you can even take the street car, ride down st. charles and look at the christmas decorations on the houses. they are amazing. besides that maybe the zoo, doubt you can get decent Saints tickets but its worth a try. You've never experiance a football game like one in NOLA.

Answers in red.

For the concerts at the cathedral which are free, how early do we need to get there to get good seats?

What are your impressions/ The cooking/tasting shows are they a good buy?

Does the French market have food & produce this time of year or is it more just crafts and gifts?

Hi chrismch,

starstruck05 has answered all of your questions but imho you may want to consider the following in no particular order:

"would you recommend paying to see the Mardi Gras World museum?"

If you only go to ONE musem here in New Orleans, go to the National WWII museum. It is truly spectacular, especially if you spend just a few minutes talking to the veteran volunteers who love to share their particular experiences.

"Who has the best revillion lunches?" Here are the reveillon dinner menus for this year. Take your pick: http://www.neworleansonline.com/christmas/

"What hotels have the best holiday decorations?" Most do, but a must see are the decorations in the Roosevelt Hotel. The Royal Sonesta on Bourbon St. always does a super job, too.

"Does the French market have food & produce this time of year or is it more just crafts and gifts?" Yes to both. Usually the weather for early December averages from the mid-high 60's for the highs and in the upper forty's if it gets cold. Warning: don't be fooled as it is also quite humid so it will feel much colder than you would expect.

"Are they still doing bonfires on the Mississippi?" Yes, but a little later in the month. However, on Dec. 4 Oak Alley plantation holds their Christmas bonfire. http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/calendar/christmas+bonfire/

"Any other suggestions of things to do?" 1. Take an evening ride on the St. Charles streetcar. Uptown, starting in the Garden District, beautiful mansions line "The Avenue" and most are wonderfully decorated. 2. Get dressed up and make dinner reservations in the Garden Room at Commander's Palace. This will be a truly memorable experience also 3. Take the free Canal St. ferry across the Mississippi.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

Hi chrismch,

"Who has the best revillion lunches?" Here are the reveillon dinner menus for this year. Take your pick: http://www.neworleansonline.com/christmas/

i had just reminded myself to google this when I saw your post. This looks like an AMAZING deal to me, because most of these resturants, for the food listed could easly go for over $75 a person. Prices are great, I'm even thinking about taking my bestie when she comes down for our cruise. You can't got wrong with any of the places listed but I would pick either Commandor's Palace, Antoine's, The Pelican Club, or Galatorie's but thats me. The menu at the Pelican Club sounds the best to me but only because I love white chocolate bread pudding.

i had just reminded myself to google this when I saw your post. This looks like an AMAZING deal to me, because most of these resturants, for the food listed could easly go for over $75 a person. Prices are great, I'm even thinking about taking my bestie when she comes down for our cruise. You can't got wrong with any of the places listed but I would pick either Commandor's Palace, Antoine's, The Pelican Club, or Galatorie's but thats me. The menu at the Pelican Club sounds the best to me but only because I love white chocolate bread pudding.

Hi starstruck05,

These are all great deals and we make it a point to visit one or two on the list every year. The 4 restaurants that you mentioned are also in my top 5 in the French Quarter/New Orleans. However, I would add Dickie Brennan's if you're in the mood for a great steak!

Jorge

What are your impressions/ would you recommend paying to see the Mardi Gras World museum?

The cooking/tasting shows are they a good buy?

The Christmas Eve bonfires are still around but this year, the Algiers Bonfire returns December 4th!

http://www.neworleans.com/news/local-news/540712-algiers-bonfire-and-concert-returns-for-the-first-time-since-katrina.html

Celebration in the Oaks has opened

http://celebrationintheoaks.com/cito10/

Archived