RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

ITA. I've met more rude people in Europe than in the US. Same thing happened to us at the Frankfort airport plus we were on a Mediterranean cruise and the Europeans on the ship would not respect the lines at all. They were constantly cutting in front of people to get on the elevators or to disembark at a port.

That is not true about Europeans now just go and ............. ...... :rolleyes: :D

I really get tired of people who cut in line, I prefer to cruise on ships with lots of Americans far more organized and friendly :)

Just for the record I live in UK :o

Apparently the rccl shipmate app is for iphone only. I have a tmobile my touch phone so i just accessed the rccl website from my phone and found the deck plans then clicked on "printable version" and it saved it to my phone as a pdf file. I had to do it for each deck but it only took a few minutes and dont have to worry about internet access. Also, dont get it confused with another shipmate app that tracks packages and luggage.

great tip-thanks!

If you use an Android phone go to Appbrain, search Royal Caribbean and you will find Shipmate. Install it on your android phone and you will get the deck plans in airplane mode. (At least I did 10 minutes ago!)

Thank you for this tip, it's very helpful. :D

Man this thread is out of control, thought maybe if I left for a while it would be back to the original topic :confused: Anyway....

My favorite tip is that the photos you buy onboard you "own" and have the copyright to it. Once you purchase the photo onboard go to image.com put in your ship sailing info to print out the copyright. Have it scanned and printed as many times and in any size you want. On that note...

We bring clothes specifically for photos! If you don't like it you don't have to buy it. Here are a couple we used on our Christmas card this year.

2958515340053366211S200x200Q85.jpg

2538179280053366211S200x200Q85.jpg

2375456880053366211S200x200Q85.jpg

Considering the Packers won the Super bowl our timing taking these in July couldn't have been more perfect. :D

Also: If you regret not purchasing a picture you can do that after your off the ship at the same website I mention above. I have actually done this twice now. First time I didn't buy my flowrider shot then once home regretted it. Second time everyone told me the picture of me on Formal night at the table was awesome, Curious I filled out the form and got it a few weeks later.

BonVoyage

Dawna

What exactly is the card? Is it something you buy that entitles you to discounted drinks, or is it just a menu with special champagne drinks? Thanks.

I'm sorry, I forgot to go back to this thread and just thought about it today.

You can go to the champagne bar4, and ask to purchase a champagne cocktail package. It was around $40.00- $45.00. You get 10 champagne cocktails. ON the back is a list of 10 different ones to choose from. You are able to chose as you wish - not just one of each. There is the classic mimosa, bellina (with peach liquor and creme de cassis) ST. Mortiz (apricot brandy, gin and orange juice), Kir Royale (creme de cassis(, London special (augusura bitters and sugar), etc. All of these are mixed with champagne. There is 5 more chamagne drinks as well.

I found it a wonderful way to try something different, and we were able to get to know the bar tender as well. The night we went to Portofino's, he noticed how nicely were dressed so we told him where we were heading. He gave us some chocolate covered strawberries to go with our cocktails. :-)

Thanks so much for all the tips. I down loaded the Ship Mate app from the Market on my 'Droid. It was free and works well in airplane mode. Also, I did not know you could get a release for the photo's! I book marked the page for future reference. Here are a couple of tips from me;

1. We get on the ship as early as we can. We find a bar for our welcome aboard drink and make friends with the bar tender. We tip him/her well and get generous drinks from him/her for the rest of the cruise.

2. If you have a CPAP machine you can request distilled water for your unit and an extension cord if necessary.

3. I have gotten on the ship as early as 11:30 am. If you have not purchased your soda or wine packages, this is a good time to do it before the crowds start forming.

4. And one last thing, if you purchase an item in the ship store and there is a sale later, you can take them the receipt and they will refund the difference to your sea pass account.

Sherri

I'm sorry, I forgot to go back to this thread and just thought about it today.

You can go to the champagne bar4, and ask to purchase a champagne cocktail package. It was around $40.00- $45.00. You get 10 champagne cocktails. ON the back is a list of 10 different ones to choose from. You are able to chose as you wish - not just one of each. There is the classic mimosa, bellina (with peach liquor and creme de cassis) ST. Mortiz (apricot brandy, gin and orange juice), Kir Royale (creme de cassis(, London special (augusura bitters and sugar), etc. All of these are mixed with champagne. There is 5 more chamagne drinks as well.

I found it a wonderful way to try something different, and we were able to get to know the bar tender as well. The night we went to Portofino's, he noticed how nicely were dressed so we told him where we were heading. He gave us some chocolate covered strawberries to go with our cocktails. :-)

We bought the champagne card on one sailing and loved it! We went on another ship, and it was not offered. How long ago did you sail and on what ship? I so hope it is still available, we will be asking from now on!

Sherri

Dawna- you want secrets? Its vacation, we're allowed to let our minds wander a little! Great family photos!! I was on the Explorer to watch the game!

Here's a simple way you can save money...

The drink of the day usually comes in a blinking RCL cup or souvenir hurricane glass which runs about $7-8 bucks. You are always able to ask your server for the drink in a regular cup which will only be about $5 bucks or so.They will gladly fulfill the request. If you are at Labadee it might not be available because they use the sports bottles for the coco-locos.

Also... Don't buy t-shirts early in the cruise. As days pass the motherload of shirts will be laid out on tables on the ship for $10 each. Plus if you wait for the make-a-wish walk your T-shirt money will go to a better cause. You'll walk a mile (or not.) You can donate the $10 and get a t-shirt that will help fulfill a wish!

Lastly... There is a new feature called the Savory Lunch! They don't advertise it much but for $50 you get a nice lunch in a specialty restaurant along with a galley tour! Spots are limited, but you may even get the exec. Chef to give your tour. You also receive a copy of the Savor cookbook. I believe you sign up @ either specialty restaurant host desk.

And the hot tip if the day....

If someone happens to cut you in line, don't worry. And don't bother wasting your energy fighting with them. They won't run out of food by the time it's your turn!

Edited by Cruise718

I'm an Android guy and hadn't thought of the PDF idea. I might just have to do that.

If someone hasn't already passed this on to you (I am NOT going to read all of these pages and then try and find this again!) go to The Market or Appbrain and search Royal Caribbean - it's a great app! :cool:

I wonder why more people don't take the stairs?

When we are on a cruise and with the extra food etc we make it a habit of avoiding elevators at all costs. I know that there are people that can't take the stairs but looking around at some of our fellow cruisers I think that more should be using the stairs and skipping the elevators.

A floor on a ship is not the same as a floor on land. When you walk up 5 floors on a ship it about equivalent of 3 or so in a building on land.

And remember that walking "down" is easy going, leave the elevators for people who need them.

I so agree with this. From what I have read, the elevators are always fun. I have no problem taking the stairs, but my Mother who has Ms, takes a bit longer to get up and down. Hope some will take your advice!

Darn it, read the first 5 pages of this thread then gave up. Was fun until it turned into a fight on who has manners & how to download an app to your iphone :confused: Grrr. Gonna try to read the pages from here back wards with the hope that I can get the information this thread is suppose to be about. "RCI Secrets they don't tell you" If you want to start a post about the app or Winjammer manners go for it!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Yeah, there was some squabbling in there, but there was also some good tips. Amazing, huh? ;)

Guest maddycat
If you purchase an item in the ship store and there is a sale later, you can take them the receipt and they will refund the difference to your sea pass account. Sherri

Thanks for this tip. It's good to know.

Well I can assure you that in the majority of cases, here in the UK, lines do exist. If all of your fellow citzens took your approach, it is no wonder that some American people are portrayed by some as boorish, rude and loud. I can assure you that queue jumping is certainly frowned upon here in the UK.

Furthermore, it is perhaps not a wise action to be 'aggressive' in some parts of Europe.

Certainly on my many trips to the US, I have noted that the concept of queuing does not exist for many Americans, but please note, I am not criticising, it is just an observation.

If I had a dislike for the Americans and the country, I would not visit as frequently as I do, - love the country and their people. Certainly I would not show a dislike for US citizens just because they jump a line now and again - we have enough a**holes in our own country to worry about other nationalities minor indiscretions!

Someone jumping in front of a queue may be deemed rude in other countries, but by being 'aggressive' and jumping a queue will only compound the anger of the people who are in an orderly line behind.

Only last month while waiting for the check in desk to open at LAX, there were about 20 people waiting to enter the line once the tape had been raised, however, despite the obvious waiting queue, an American couple decided to do a 'limbo dance' under the tape in an attempt to get to the front.

Rude or just clever because by taking this course of action, they would get checked in first? You decide - I will keep my own counsel on that one.

Some may say the end justified the means!

As an aside, rather than be 'aggressive' to avoid missing a flight, many would suggest arriving at the airport in time would be a preferable option rather than annoy your fellow travellers.

Never been to Italy have you?

Or to many parts of South America?

Or dealt with 10 thousand Japanese tourists on a nightly basis.

Americans are much more queue or line patient in my experience,than many other cultures- but this is what I lecture my husband who gets so irate at people not waiting patiently in line order- its NOT an international phenomenon and we can not expect other cultures to live up to our American cultural norm of standing in orderly lines.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

Having spent a year in the Republic of Korea I can attest to the fact that in some cultures, lines don't mean a thing. Dealing one on one, the Koreans were some of the most caring and generous people I've ever met. But if you want to get on a bus or train, get in there or get trampled. I was appalled at first, then I quickly realized that it was the culture, not personal.

We did the champagne card on the Adventure, that is the only ship I have seen it offerd of the RCI ships we have sailed.

Thanks, I think that I remember Adventure as being the ship we got the Champagne card on. We are sailing on that ship again in November. Yea!!!

Sherri

Welcome Powell!!!

There will be lots of weeding, lots of personal correspondence, some touchy conversations for comments that may have been bit "hot", "touchy" or misconstrued. Sometimes sarcasm comes across rougher than intended.

The biggest perk however... is the really great info here given by great people! Take advantage CC is an amazing venue! I have made wonderful friends here! It makes cruising more fun when you have friends on board! Plus you have company at your ports, on tours, watching stuff at the beach, sharing cabs, a meal, dining table mates, etc...

Edited by Cruise718

Ahhhh Haaaa my first post on CC. I made it through all the squabbling and varying opinions weeded out the garbage and pasted the good tips in my file for a hopefull upcoming cruise.....Thanks all!!!!!

Please start a new thread and post your condensed version. I love the tips and valuable information that can be obtained from fellow CC members posts, but lack the time to go through some of these longer threads! Would love to see the tips that you have gathered!

The "Real Secret" is to explore the entire ship, deck by deck, to see what is there.

Print deck plans from the RCI Web Site before you board and then just wander and explore.

You will be glad you did!

Here is proof that this system works.

On our first cruise on the Jewel of the Seas, every time we went to the Windjammer we got our food and then found a nearby place to sit down and eat. At lunch on the 4th day, the Windjammer was pretty full so we kept heading aft to find an open table. And we found the open air seating area across the stern of the ship. For the rest of the cruise, that is where we ate.

Had we not walked back there we would never have found it!

DSCN8222.jpg[/quote

This looks lovely - does the Independence have this do you know ?

Thanks